Do I Need 10-Ply Tires?

The problem is I want a AT tire with the snowflake symbol and it seems every tire brand only offers 4-ply or 6-ply in 275/55/20 or 275/60/20 with the snowflake and I believe that is the max I can go without leveling.
You will be fine with the 6-ply.

For a daily-driver and city commuter, you are going to notice increased braking time/distance and likely ~1MPG worse fuel economy going to a 10-ply with more mass at each of your corners.

My Falken's are a 4-ply (SL), granted I'm in a smaller truck, but they have held up to everything just fine and I drive them HARD on both trails and pavement. As a bonus, the Falken's look sweet!

WCB

WKR
When I bought my tires I contemplated getting the K02 since that is what my buddy runs on his truck. He is in Ag and loves them...no flats and keep him from getting stuck compared to other AT tires. Guy at the place a purchased them from showed me pictures of his trucks running both the Duratracs and K02s...He said in his opinion toss a coin.

Kotaman

WKR
I drive a TON of gravel roads and got tired of fixing flats. Went to 10 Ply BF Goodrich AT TA KO2 and no longer have any problems. It's been a great tire for me...

tdhanses

WKR
I won’t use anything but 10 ply, way too many flats with 6 ply. Even if your tires only see crap roads 1% of the time, flats suck.

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
I only have one vehicle and will go out of my way to make sure and buy 10 ply.

Duratracs and K02s...He said in his opinion toss a coin.

Duratracs are great off-road, but I definitely WOULD NOT recommend them on-road after 40k miles. For me, at least, in a Duramax Colorado, they spun out 100% of the time if the roads had any amount of moisture on them and could feel super sketchy breaking at high speeds.

Squamch

WKR
I even run 10 ply on little toyota pickups. Nice thing is that even if I punch a hole in one, they still hold up. I had a 6" lag bolt go through a tire once, didn't notice it until i got off the highway 35km later.

Clrems77

WKR
I run the Falken 10 ply your speaking of on my 4 runner. Its a daily driver as well as a weekend overlander/off roader. Even with my tires inflated to 60psi for the road, my ride isnt rough. If you want it softer, run them with less air.

One flat tire in the middle of the forest without service and youll regret sacrificing the smallest amount of comfort or gas mileage for the 4 or 6 ply.

Rob5589

WKR
Heavy full sized truck, 8 or 10. Especially with the short sidewall of a 20" wheel, which are a terrible choice for any off roading. Much of the complaints of rough ride come from too high of air pressure. Run enough to balance comfort and proper wear. I went from a 4 ply OE tire to a 10 ply Toyo AT3 and have no discernable reduction in ride quality. 36 psi rear and 38 front is all that's needed for proper wear. Most shops blast 50+ into them then guys drive away complaining how harsh the new tire is.

dtrkyman

WKR
Not on a truck but a grand Cherokee, 3rd set of 6 ply Dueler A/T. Lots of off road use no issues.

Just drove a horrible high country road for the past hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

137buck

Lil-Rokslider
Duratracs are great off-road, but I definitely WOULD NOT recommend them on-road after 40k miles. For me, at least, in a Duramax Colorado, they spun out 100% of the time if the roads had any amount of moisture on them and could feel super sketchy breaking at high speeds.
I have 10 ply duratracs now on my truck, while they grip good, they get cut really easy in the rocks and last weekend I cut the sidewall on a tire. Plus they're a softer tread tire and I'll be lucky to get 40k out of them. After this set, I'll go back to Toyo's which last longer.

I have 10 ply duratracs now on my truck, while they grip good, they get cut really easy in the rocks and last weekend I cut the sidewall on a tire. Plus they're a softer tread tire and I'll be lucky to get 40k out of them. After this set, I'll go back to Toyo's which last longer.
They worked fine for me overall, but I really disliked them. As an outside sales person doing ~500 miles a week they always made me nervous in the rain and in the event I had to slam on my brakes.

And they were loud as hell on my truck...

137buck

Lil-Rokslider
They worked fine for me overall, but I really disliked them. As an outside sales person doing ~500 miles a week they always made me nervous in the rain and in the event I had to slam on my brakes.

And they were loud as hell on my truck...
Mine howl hardcore going down the interstate, that's why I'm going back to the Toyo MT's, they can't be any louder than what I have now...lol

kda082

WKR
I drive a TON of gravel roads and got tired of fixing flats. Went to 10 Ply BF Goodrich AT TA KO2 and no longer have any problems. It's been a great tire for me...
This. KO2s on my Ram made a huge difference. They’re noisier with wear, but have held up.

4ester

WKR
I think in a for all full size trucks I’d run a 10ply.

For smaller lighter suv and mini trucks you can get away with a 6 ply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most all AT/MT tires are going to get louder with miles/age because the rubber begins to harden. Doesn’t matter what brand. A zero mile tire is going to be much quieter than a 40K mile tire.
There is no way in hell I’d have anything other than 10 ply tires. I’m an absolute paranoid freak about flats and I’ve never been stranded in 20+ years and always used 10 ply. What about my spare?? Well when you drive a 6”-10” lifted truck on 37’s, the “spare” no longer serves a purpose.
My current 4Runner has the 285 10 ply Falken AT3W’s on it and I love them. I’ve had 5 sets of them on various vehicles in the last several years.

My current F350 has 10 ply Falken MT’s on it. While driving home from Colorado this week, somewhere around Amarillo I managed to get this damn thing in my driver side rear tire. I had to stop every hour to air it back up, but the tire got me home another 5 hours down the road.

Yeah....10 ply for me.

F6654A9E-DB2A-40E1-AB31-907717334D0A.jpeg

wapitibob

WKR
I have 440,000 miles an f350 diesel; toyo ht, at, mt, and Bridgestone revo. I just bought a 2020 f-150 and put Toyota AT’s on it. I wouldn’t drive it hunting with a 4-6 ply tire.
You can also buy a used set of rims and 10 play’s for hunting and swap out as needed.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
I have 10 ply tires on a 2001 ranger and a 2nd gen tacoma. Its kind of silly to have such heavy tires on such small trucks, but most of my driving is for work on jagged lava rock roads.

I wouldn't recommend Ten ply tires unless you live somewhere where you need the sidewall protection, or have to air down regularly. Going from a six to ten ply decreased the mileage of each truck by 2mpg, which is a 10% loss in fuel efficiency. They also drive a lot worse with the extra pounds of unsprung weight.

RAPTOR

WKR
Stiffer side walls make the truck feel more planted going around turns daily driving for me. Gas mileage difference isn't zero, but it might be 1mpg..if you're staying stock size you may not even notice a hit. I prefer the ride, it makes the truck feel more connected and loses the mushy feeling on road. I'd also sell the 20" wheels and find a set of 17 or 18" wheels.

bradav03

FNG
I got 2 flats in one day on an old set of cooper ATs on a scouting trip...made the switch to load range E ko2's on my tundra and haven't looked back. Been happy with them.