Do I Need 10-Ply Tires?

go_deep

WKR
I run 3 trucks between personal and work, about 50k a year between them all. I run 10 ply on all of them even though they don't pull trailers, because one dang time I bought 6 ply I had 3 flats in the first 4k miles on a brand new set just driving down the roads in Wyoming! I'd put 10 ply on my dang bicycle if I could find them. I've put probably a million miles on Michelin 10 ply's over the years, never suffered a flat in all the off road random weird spots I end up in for work and hunting.

Mtnboy

WKR
I will never own a pick up of any size that doesn't run 10 ply tires. Period.

Julius K

FNG
I run grabber at2 10 ply on my dclb tacoma. The ride is much harder, but the shale rods in northern maine have been hard on my regular tires in the past

Coldtrail

WKR
Just my opinion, but us truck owners are pretty good at thinking we are the hardest driving truck users on the planet, but in reality most trucks are "over tired" for what they get used for. I've driven 1/2 ton fleet trucks for years and never seen a huge difference on a half ton going from C to E as far as flat resistance or sidewall durability....work your tires and no matter what they are they will be full of plugs in 50,000mi & you will tear out the occasional sidewall. Buy what best suits your driving needs & carries the weight you intend to haul, spend the money you save on a plug kit and 12v compressor because even with E's you'll need both if you are working your truck at all.

That being said, when I was loaded down in the bed & hauled a 7000lb trailer, Es were what worked best, but I was overloaded well above the truck ratings. Also, all the Es I ran were useless in snow/ice/rain at about 50% tread life due to the harder rubber compound in the tread and got replaced almost every fall before the winter.

Dan74

FNG
I'm a 10 ply guy. Thicker is better and it give extra security when you are off road and I really don't see that big a difference in ride.

4ester

WKR
In my experience on some rough Wyoming roads......

Anything over 1/2 ton pickups gets 10 plys.

Small trucks, Toyota’s you can get by with less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

87TT

WKR
I had 6 ply on my Nissan Frontier and got two flats just driving down a USFS road. Ran over a stick on one. On my F150 I was driving in the fog on the hwy, hit a rock and bam flat. 10 ply now by god!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
For a couple of months while I was a game warden the department cheaped out on tires and told us to buy 8 plys to save $. After a couple of months of dozens and dozens (and dozens!) of flats, we went back to 10 plys :D

Harsher ride? Yes they are, but the benefits outweigh the disadvantages imo. I've never run anything but 10 plys on all of my personal and work trucks.

I will say that's with a lot of miles on gravel, if I was picking a tire for the road and seldom ventured off the pavement, sure I'd look into 8 plys.