Do I need a trail sized UTV?

mcfd45

FNG
Hey guys. I’m looking to buy a side by side for upcoming hunting trips. I plan to trailer it to an area nearby and use it to get to and from hunting areas. I obviously want to get away from other people. I will park it and walk in.
My question is this. Do I need it to be under 50”s? I know that the USFS trails are 50” and below.
but I can’t help but think that a 50” utv lacks in some areas when compared to a larger one.
Anybody have any stories of huge tracts of land with no access, except for a restricted trail?

save me the “another one gonna ride his utv all over and scare the elk.” I have years of work injuries and walking 10 miles a day isn’t likely. Walking 6 is.

I think it depends on where you are planning to ride or hunt. Here in Az, there are very, very few trails my Honda pioneer 1000-5 can not go on. In other states, I know there are quite a few trails that are the 50" variety.

OP
M

mcfd45

FNG
Yeah. Still unsure of where I want to hunt. I know I want to do a NM elk hunt. Wanna do an antelope hunt in WY. I will also use it here in MI. I will not be hunting anywhere that requires a zillion points. I don’t have any and don’t want to wait.
Truth be told my options are
Trail rated:
Honda pioneer 500.
rzr 570 or 900
Can am maverick trail.

they all do a good job at getting you back somewhere. But I feel they do a mediocre job of carting out a deer or elk, when compared to a ranger or mule.

Last edited:

vanish

WKR
The short answer is no. You don't need a UTV at all.

However, if you want a UTV, your approach is backwards. Figure out specifically what you want to do, then buy the right tool for the job.

wapitibob

WKR
Some of the best hunting money I've spent was on a quad. Mine is 50" but I've never had it on a 50 and under trail. I ride it from camp to a parking spot and hunt from there. If you're thinking of riding on an open atv trail to get away from people, it's unlikely you'll be alone. Open trails are like wilderness areas, they attract hunters.
The atv will easily pack an Elk or Antelope back to camp, i've done it a lot.
b.JPG

Some will say you do not "need" a UTV. Truth is, you do not "need" a lot of things to go hunting but they sure do help. I know before I got my Side by side, a lot of areas were off limits to me. Something about driving 2 hours on rough ass roads in a pickup did not appeal to me. Now, with a side by side, I can access some spots where others may not want to or are not able to. The same spot that used to take 2 hours in a pickup and I would be damn near pissing blood by the time I got there, I get there in 45 minutes and the ride is relatively smooth. I have taken animals in new places since owning one and maybe added a few years to my Kidneys. If I am driving on a dirtroad for more than 15 minutes, I usually just take the SxS and park the pickup near the pavement.

bertha

FNG
Tagged, this seems like a very interesting thread
o.png

OP
M

mcfd45

FNG
I have little desire for an atv. And for not much more I can have a UTV. I prefer a steering wheel.

I went with atv for a couple of reasons. One if it gets stuck I can usually push it out. Two, it fits in the back of my truck. Three, I dont worry about width restrictions. Four, if for some reason it gets stolen or rolls down a mountain side I am not out 10k+. Utvs do seem nice just not when dry and dusty.

I have little desire for an atv. And for not much more I can have a UTV. I prefer a steering wheel.
I don’t know much about utvs I ride a dirtbike. Unless you have a license plate here In Michigan if you’re in the National Forest I belive you need to stay on the trails and I think they are 50” and under some are motorcycles only. But on state land you can ride all the dirt roads and 2 tracks. The pigeon river country state Forest is off limits to all orvs. Whatever you get make sure you watch out for me coming down the trail on my bike. I would love to have a utv for hunting and backroad camping/hunting. The Michigan dnr website may give a little insite on the trails you can use.

dtrkyman

WKR
We have the Honda 500 at our deer camp, small enough to maneuver in the timber if needed and more practical than a 4 wheeler.

If your a big guy the cab is quite small.

Tops out at 37-38 mph

I added a cheap aluminum hitch rack a rear windshield which is a must and a couple light bars.

Great little machine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a tough choice. If you are using it as an alternative to a truck, get a full size. If you want to be able to go on some trails, get the 50" version. The full size are more fun to drive in general, but cannot go everywhere.

cgasner1

WKR
I went with 50” because idk where I’ll be hunting with as many states as I put in for and didn’t wanna draw a tag and need it that being said go sit in the razor and the maverick I’d bet you make the same decision me and my buddy did we both have the Mavericks I love that machine wish I had more use for it other than hunting and ice fishing I’ve hauled 2 bulls on it one with my dad with me it hurt that machine they are not meant for that kind of weight load the other bull I was solo it worked great put the hamms in passenger seat and shoulders and straps in the trunk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk