Do I need insulated boots? Late Oct Wyo High Country

hartigjosh

Lil-Rokslider
I plan on hunting in late october/early november in the Wyoming high country. My current footwear situation... 1 pair of Mendl Denalis (noninsul but full grain leather), 1 pair of danner pronghorns (400g ins), and my crispi summits which will be staying at home for sure.

Do you think between my Danners and Meindls that I should have sufficient footwear for this hunt or do you think I should get a whole other pair with insulation and pair them with my Danners?

The hunt will be on horseback for most of the traveling and will be a lot of time spent in optics so stationary.

I hunted high in Idaho this past October and froze my ass off. Non-insulated boots were a bad choice! 400 grams of insulation will be good to have. You just don’t know tho - could be -6 or it could be 57?!

OP
hartigjosh

hartigjosh

Lil-Rokslider
I thought about bringing those warmers that go over the whole boot for when I am not hiking, but that seems like a pain in the A
May be a good excuse to buy another $300-500 pair of boots.... love the hunting spend

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
The problem with insulated boots for me is sweat. Gotta make sure you can dry them out, otherwise by day 2 or 3 you'll wake up with frozen boots and that insulation is doing you no good any more. Late Oct/Nov is tough because of how variable weather can be. I'd bring both and decide which one to take the day before you leave based on weather predictions. For me, if it's cold enough to take insulated boots, I will likely be using a vapor barrier liner to keep them from accumulating moisture from the inside.