Do I really need a better bag then this??

Flame suite on.
I’m new to back country hunting so all advice is appreciated. I am doing a hunt in northern California this year in the trinity alps. In late September weather will be in the 50’s worst case the high 30s at night. I am not ready to commit to a $500 bag yet. So any reason something like this bag will not work for my needs?
it’s light weight, packs down really small, and is nice and tall. I saw it today at sportmans and it seems nice. This would be a warm weather type bag for me.
thoughts?
https://tetonsports.com/product/trailhead-20f-regular-ultralight-mummy-bag/

mlgc20

WKR
Sure. That sleeping bag will work. Especially if you have a decent sleeping pad. I think that bag might struggle anywhere near 30. There just isn’t enough loft for it to provide adequate insulation. But, over 40 degrees and I’m. sure it would be fine.

OP
BoltActionBrotherhood
Sure. That sleeping bag will work. Especially if you have a decent sleeping pad. I think that bag might struggle anywhere near 30. There just isn’t enough loft for it to provide adequate insulation. But, over 40 degrees and I’m. sure it would be fine.
Great thanks for the input, and I have a thermarest.

rclouse79

WKR
I picked up a nice down rei bag at a garage sale for not much more than that. I think you can get away with a lighter back if you have some down layers to wear if it gets cold.

*zap*

WKR
4 is Ok for above freezing but 6 or better will be warmer.....you should be fine but do a backyard sleep out or two with some time to make changes if there are concerns...also if you can be comfortable fully zipped in with the hood over your head and just a hole to breath thru you will get the max out of your bag but some folks do not like that.....too closed in feeling. My opinion is that REI has made some good stuff, I have 3 of their older tents are they are going strong....

For me there is nothing like cocooning in a good bag when its cold....have a great hunt!

OP
BoltActionBrotherhood
Also I just realized i great incredible discounts through a few brands on expertvoice. 30-50% off on brands like klymit, Nemo, Big agnes, and Mammut. You guys have or recommend any of these guys?

gelton

WKR
I have a marmot sawtooth I’ve used for the last 9 years. I’ve used it in Colorado Idaho and Alaska without any issues. Some nights well below freezing. I also use the xlite pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You must sleep a lot warmer than me, I have a Sawtooth and froze my butt off...Marmot makes great bags but if I were the OP I would definitely look towards a helium and at least 800 fill power.

The thing is (as you probably know) freak weather events happen...had a snowstorm during first rifle about 6 years ago where it got down to single digits for a night or two and a 15-degree bag just didn't cut it for me.

I didn't hunt archery last year but the same thing happened and 2nd rifle last year was in the single digits.

I upgraded to a Western Mountaineering Kodiak after that first experience about 6 years ago. Zero degree bag or lower for me, you can always unzip them if you are too warm.

OP
BoltActionBrotherhood
These are some of the bags I am considering. I would be SHOCKED if the temp got below 35 at this location.
Kelty (Heard a lot of good things about this)
Cosmic Down 20
Cosmic Down 20
Size:LongChange Options

Marmot
Ultra Elite 20° Sleeping Bag
Ultra Elite 20° Sleeping Bag
COLOR: Dark Steel/Lakeside
SIZE: LZ
List Price$212.00

Sawtooth 15° Sleeping Bag - Long X Wide
Sawtooth 15° Sleeping Bag - Long X Wide
COLOR: Surf/Arctic Navy
SIZE: RZ
List Price$300.00

Sawtooth 15° Sleeping Bag - Long
Sawtooth 15° Sleeping Bag - Long
List Price$279.00

Never Winter 30° Sleeping Bag - Long
Never Winter 30° Sleeping Bag - Long
COLOR: Cilantro/Tree Green
List Price$235.00

Sawtooth 15° Sleeping Bag
Sawtooth 15° Sleeping Bag
List Price$257.00

Hydrogen 30° Sleeping Bag - Long
Hydrogen 30° Sleeping Bag - Long
COLOR: Dark Citron/Olive
List Price$362.00

Yolla Bolly 30° Sleeping Bag - Long
Yolla Bolly 30° Sleeping Bag - Long
COLOR: Botanical Garden/Kelly Green
List Price$297.00

JohnnyB

WKR
We recently had an informative post (well, more like treatise) from someone known as “Alone Guy”. He would not have wasted an item on a sleeping bag. He would have told you to stuff your clothing with pine needles for warmth. You could probably also stuff your sleeping bag with pine needles if you need to.

Save that extra money and buy a hammock to turn into a gill net!

JRMiller

WKR
Flame suite on.
I’m new to back country hunting so all advice is appreciated. I am doing a hunt in northern California this year in the trinity alps. In late September weather will be in the 50’s worst case the high 30s at night. I am not ready to commit to a $500 bag yet. So any reason something like this bag will not work for my needs?
it’s light weight, packs down really small, and is nice and tall. I saw it today at sportmans and it seems nice. This would be a warm weather type bag for me.
thoughts?
I owned that same bag for a bit.
I also have been to the Trinities before.
I would doubt as well that it would get that cold, but as long as you have a base layer and a decent pad you’ll be comfy to about 35f.
Less than that and you’ll be cold.

Flame suite on.
thoughts?

Do it. Just put a decent pad underneath. You don't need to have the high dollar stuff even though reading this forum will have you believing otherwise!

I used an Alps Mountaineering down bag for a looong time. You can often find them steeply discounted and they're cheap to start with. Maybe see what you can find in that brand too.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Personally I'd be leery of a $70 bag claiming to be good to 20 degrees. I can almost bet that's not a comfort rating, probably a "keep you alive until morning" rating.

I'd trust a name like Marmot for a more budget orientated bag. Also look at the comfort rating, no other rating.