Do I really need a better bag then this??

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yep, a lot of those advertised ratings are Limit ratings, not the comfort ratings. Caveat emptor.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Teton sleeping bag and had some decent luck with it. I’ve actually got 2 of these. Slept fine down into the teens. They have a 20 degree bag in this line and I wouldn’t be hesitant to use it.

Just use a decent sleeping pad and you should be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJJ

Lil-Rokslider
Also I just realized i great incredible discounts through a few brands on expertvoice. 30-50% off on brands like klymit, Nemo, Big agnes, and Mammut. You guys have or recommend any of these guys?
Mammut makes pretty damn nice jackets. Haven’t used their bags, but they’re a Swiss climbing/mountaineering company that’s been around for over 100 years.

watch the cut on some of these bags. Some are slim to save space for efficiency, some are bigger to allow layering inside

CO-AJ

WKR
I agree with most of the posters on here. Get a good pad with a high R value, I run an Exped which I prefer to the therm a rest because it isnt crinkly sounding. As for the sleeping bag, it was a tough pill to swallow, but I did the buy once cry once. Now I have a WM Versalite that is the best bag I have ever owned. I figure I could buy 2-3 bags at 250.00 each or one at 600.00 that does it all.

SouthPaw

WKR
I am doing a hunt in northern California this year in the trinity alps. In late September weather will be in the 50’s worst case the high 30s
While nice weather is highly likely, be ready for anything. We've had nights in late September in the trinity's at 7k where we woke up to 24 degrees, sleet and strong wind. This was the tail end of an early season storm. I was glad I brought my 15 degree bag that trip, would have been real cold in my 30.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
BoltActionBrotherhood
While nice weather is highly likely, be ready for anything. We've had nights in late September in the trinity's at 7k where we woke up to 24 degrees, sleet and strong wind. This was the tail end of an early season storm. I was glad I brought my 15 degree bag that trip, would have been real cold in my 30.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the input, I just ended up getting the Cosmic down 20 from Kelty, I just heard too many good things about it! https://www.kelty.com/cosmic-down-20/

mlgc20

WKR
Spend some time on the ultralight backpacking gear forums. Those guys are always chasing the latest gear. I just bought a western mountaineering for 3/4 price that was only used once, just so someone could save 1 ounce on a new one.
A lot of truth to this. Back when I was really into ultralight and super ultralight hiking, I did some pretty ridiculous things to cut grams and ounces. Just to get to arbitrary base weights.