Do I really need a spotting scope?

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
So let me tell you a little bit about me and what I am after when elk hunting. I am mainly elk hunting in Colorado on public lands. Not interested in hunting Mule deer. Been doing elk hunting for 2 years, first with a guide and then DIY. Went DIY because guide was a waste of money and figured that I could do it just as good on my own as the experience was pretty bad. But when I went DIY last year, I practically got run over by several groups of elk, I kill one, a 4X5 and saw another 5X5. My hunting buddy who was sitting beside me also killed a cow. It all happened by 8:30 in the morning on opening day. Never really got to try out my equipment or techniques, except for the pack when bringing out the elk.

I have a Nikon Monarch 7 bino in 8x40 that are awesome and bright. I really don't care about killing trophies, just love the experience of hunting out West for elk. But was wanting to know if you readers thought that a good spotting scope would help me spot elk when they aren't running me over. I have a cheap Redfield or something like that that isn't really very good that isn't really worth putting it in the pack with the tripod. I can barely find my shots when I am practicing my long distance shooting (300-400 yds). Not sure I can justify 1-2 grand on a spotting scope when my kids want to go to out-of-state colleges. How much better is a good spotting scope than my binos for locating bull elk, if any. Obviously, I have never had a good spotting scope so I really don't know their benefits.

I'd say if you're just looking to hunt elk and don't really care about size you're better off saving your money for something else. If you run your binos on a tripod you should be able to spot them a good ways off.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've been hunting elk since 1980 and have never used a spotting scope while hunting them......both rifle and archery. The only time I've used one is on summer trips into the mountains scouting or just enjoying nature.

Mt Al

WKR
Agree with Josh, no trophy hunt, no real need for a high end spotter, or any spotter and tripod mounted binos do pretty well. I had a Nikon 50HD spotter for several years, not too expensive, very light and worked well/OK/worth taking. However, it didn't do well in the early morning and late afternoon so I went Swaro and am very happy.

LostArra

WKR
I vote no.

Other than occasional rifle sighting in, the most use my spotter gets is checking the rain gauge on my garden without leaving the house.;)

If you do go with a spotter, I would recommend something in the Vortex Viper class. I have one and it's pretty good--clarity, light gathering, etc I can judge bulls for a couple miles and glass elk up to 4-5 miles out. I would use one if long range glassing is beneficial for you. You would also be fine with some 15x binos for that purpose since you don't really need judging. I hunt open country where glassing a couple miles out, past bino range, can be really helpful. Putting binos on a tripod can extend your glassing range also.

Honestly, I'm 50/50 if I take my spotter when hunting elk. If you hunt where you can glass for miles. The spotter will save you a lot of walking. A good spotter will be able to look into the shade and find bedded elk. At farther distance that binos just can't see. I really feel it's where you hunt. When I hunt Dillon I always have my scope, when I'm in the Little Belts almost never bring it. I do agree that a shoddy spotter is worse than no spotter. I did find that after having one, I use it for more than just hunting.

jhayes6405

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly, I'm 50/50 if I take my spotter when hunting elk. If you hunt where you can glass for miles. The spotter will save you a lot of walking. A good spotter will be able to look into the shade and find bedded elk. At farther distance that binos just can't see. I really feel it's where you hunt. When I hunt Dillon I always have my scope, when I'm in the Little Belts almost never bring it. I do agree that a shoddy spotter is worse than no spotter. I did find that after having one, I use it for more than just hunting.

100% agree here and this is what I was gonna say. I find my spotter gets used all the time for scouting new areas, finding a herd during season, and looking at all kinds of non hunting related things. It really opens up options. A used razor hd can be found here in the classifieds for cheap. In fact I saw one listed the other day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say if you're just looking to hunt elk and don't really care about size you're better off saving your money for something else. If you run your binos on a tripod you should be able to spot them a good ways off.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I would completely agree with this. If you don't have a lightweight tripod setup for your binoculars (and Monarch 7's are plenty good) then get one and start there. you might be amazed at what you can make out with them on a tripod. I've spotted elk in the mountains up to a (measured on Google Earth) 2.3 miles away with nothing more than a pair of 10x42's on a window mount or tripod.

Spotters are nice to see if a bull is legal or not before you invest 1/2 day in chasing it, but I spent about $400 on a lightweight spotter for this past year's hunt (also a DIY in CO) and barely used it.

- - - Updated - - -

I do agree that a shoddy spotter is worse than no spotter. I did find that after having one, I use it for more than just hunting.

I can't disagree with this at all. I'd rather have no spotter than a marginal one that takes up space and basically wastes my time when I could be glassing with my bins or hiking.

skierhs

WKR
With your situation a spotter likely won’t add a ton for you. It will definitely help on glassing farther away of course but if you don’t care about the size of the elk a good 10 power bino will do you fine. If your looking to upgrade though I suggest going and selling your current binos and going with one of the big three. Elk are large enough you can glass them a ways away with 10x but the quality increase with the higher end binos is where you would see the most improvement.

FlyGuy

WKR
Well, with luck like your’s I’d say “No, you don’t need a spotter”.

Thus far, I typically only use my spotter from the truck when elk hunting. I upgraded it last year to the Kowa 77 and it absolutely helped us to locate elk from a long distance away that we may have never seen with the 10’s and 15’s. But I never really pack it. R

One option you might consider is the vortex 55 spotter. I still love mine. Not a huge investment, Very light, and it gives you a lot more coverage power from your glassing location without a huge weight penalty - especially if you pair it with the granite peak tripod. You should be able to find a used 55 for about $500 around here. I’ve looked through a friends small (50mm?) gold ring spotter that could also fit the bill. I don’t know much about them but I think the cost of used and weight would be comparable.

You can’t cheat the mountain

OP
Firehole Hunter

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all of the input guys. Think I try a few more times to see how things go. Like some have said, with the success that I have had, it really hasn't been necessary. After a couple of skunked seasons I may have different thoughts on the subject. You guys rok.

skierhs

WKR
Thanks for all of the input guys. Think I try a few more times to see how things go. Like some have said, with the success that I have had, it really hasn't been necessary. After a couple of skunked seasons I may have different thoughts on the subject. You guys rok.
I’m glad we could help, if you get into deer and bear hunting extra glass makes life a lot easier. Somehow I’m gonna end up with two sets of binos and a spotter solo hunting this spring and next fall.

mtnkid85

WKR
So let me tell you a little bit about me and what I am after when elk hunting. I am mainly elk hunting in Colorado on public lands. Not interested in hunting Mule deer. Been doing elk hunting for 2 years, first with a guide and then DIY. Went DIY because guide was a waste of money and figured that I could do it just as good on my own as the experience was pretty bad. But when I went DIY last year, I practically got run over by several groups of elk, I kill one, a 4X5 and saw another 5X5. My hunting buddy who was sitting beside me also killed a cow. It all happened by 8:30 in the morning on opening day. Never really got to try out my equipment or techniques, except for the pack when bringing out the elk.

I have a Nikon Monarch 7 bino in 8x40 that are awesome and bright. I really don't care about killing trophies, just love the experience of hunting out West for elk. But was wanting to know if you readers thought that a good spotting scope would help me spot elk when they aren't running me over. I have a cheap Redfield or something like that that isn't really very good that isn't really worth putting it in the pack with the tripod. I can barely find my shots when I am practicing my long distance shooting (300-400 yds). Not sure I can justify 1-2 grand on a spotting scope when my kids want to go to out-of-state colleges. How much better is a good spotting scope than my binos for locating bull elk, if any. Obviously, I have never had a good spotting scope so I really don't know their benefits.

No, you don't need a spotter for what your wanting to do. Elk are easy to spot in comparison to other game species and you aren't trying to field judge antler size so there is no reason to invest in the spotter.
You'll be far ahead to invest that money in higher end bins which you will utilize in all of your future hunting pursuits.

Milhouse58421

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not an elk hunter....pretty much whitetail/occasional antelope.... I've owned various spotters throughout my years. From decent, to fairly high end. What I've found, is that I'm just not a spotting scope guy. I don't like "spotting scope eye".....which happens to me everytime I look through one for over about 10 minutes. I finally just went with some Vortex Kaibab 18×56 bonos, and they're gonna have to work....because for me the PITA of using a scope is just not worth it.

tttoadman

WKR
I had a small spotter for awhile. I like the comfort of using both eyes on Binos. I put viper 10x42 on a little tripod. I can see for miles. If I see something I want a better look at, I will throw my rifle over the tripod on 16x and take a better look. Yes I know “don’t glass thru your rifle”...blah blah. It is just for that quick minute to decide whether to take off after something or not.