Do it all arrow?

I’m starting to get into bow hunting and plan on using for all game - deer, Turkey, elk. Right now my Mathews Atlas is tuned at 60lbs (can bring it up to 70 with practice), 30in draw. The arrows I’m currently using are the Gold Tip Black Label Quantums (340…7.7 per inch) with 100g tip. After weighing, each arrow comes in right about 400gr.

I’m not worried about that weight for Turkey or eastern whitetail, but would it be worth adding 50g inserts to bump things up a bit, particularly for bigger critters like elk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smada962

FNG
That setup will kill anything you mentioned just fine, but you could go a touch heavier if you wanted. I bowhunt for everything from turkeys to elk using the same setup. Bow at 70lbs and 30.5" draw, with a 30" Easton Hexx arrow with 75gr brass insert and 100 grain head. Comes in at about 496grains, and tunes and shoots perfectly out of my setup.

IMO yes, adding 50 gr would be a good idea for elk. You'll lose some trajectory but gain penetration potential. An easy way to test how much your trajectory will change would be to play around with some 150 gr field points.

Keep in mind that good arrow flight is more important than arrow weight, and a heavier head/point or insert will weaken your dynamic spine and may require re-tuning your bow or possibly switching to a stiffer arrow.