Do it all backpack recommendations

OP
nvhunter82
Thank you all for the help! It looks like there are tons of options. How do you guys go about trying on the different frames? Do you order and return or try to find retailers? I live in a pretty rural area, but could make the trip in to Reno if needed.

OP
nvhunter82
I have several but will always go big! You can synch it down and my vote goes for a Kifaru 44 Mag. My Kuiu 3600 is nice as well but when an elk is down the Kifaru wins.
This one was second on my list. Have you done any 3-4 day hunts out of it?

I'm not sure it exists, but I'm looking for a day pack, meat hauler, and 3-4 day backcountry hunting pack. I have had my eye on the Exo K3 4800, but am not sure it will cinch down enough to be comfortable as a day pack. The pack will be primarily used as a day pack, but I usually carry a spotting scope and tripod in my daypack, as well as extra water and a jetboil in colder months out chukar hunting. I primarily hunt elk, mule deer, antelope, and upland game in Nevada, and would like a pack I can use for all of them. Am I crazy wanting one pack for everything? Is anyone else running a similar setup?
i think the 4800 is a great choice for what you are looking for, the kifaru reckoning would do it well too, and pretty much any bags from seek outside will compress down to nothing.... not familiar with SG, but i'm sure they have something that would fill your niche well too

Stone glacier solo 3300 or 5900 will work for you. I have both and day hunt and do extended hunts with them. The solo is my go to for everything. The 5900 packs down very nice to use as a day pack as well.

wildcat33

WKR
Seek peregrine is working for me as a do-it-all pack. If considering winter camping with heavy gear/tent/stove I would size up to the lanner.

Fedster

FNG
Thank you all for the help! It looks like there are tons of options. How do you guys go about trying on the different frames? Do you order and return or try to find retailers? I live in a pretty rural area, but could make the trip in to Reno if needed.
I would say contact the different companies and ask about returns

I will second the SG packs. I have a 5900 and in “bivy” it is a 4800 pack but also packs down very small. I have taken it down to about nothing when going on day hikes with min gear. I am sure like most at this size you have a little more weight involved but in my eyes it’s a one pack for day hikes all the way up to over a week with the lid and opened up completely so it saved me from buying multiple packs. It’s hard to go wrong with any pack nowadays... each have their own step up in some way.

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Kifaru Lite frame and Fulcrum bag and find it perfect for a do it all pack.

I’m pretty sure scheels sells stone glacier. You could try one there. I have both frames. I do prefer the x curve though. Depends on your body build too as well. I live in elko Nevada if you make it this way and want to try a couple out

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The Exo should do what you want. I have the K3 with 3200 and 6400 bags. Both work well as a day pack, enough so that I prefer them to my 36L Osprey.

A Seek Outside will also do what you want. I have a 5400 SO that functions well as a day pack. The Exo is a tad better in that role though. I also find the Exo to be more comfortable for heavy loads (50 to 120 pounds).

I dislike all the Velcro Exo uses, which is why I picked up the SO. However, on the 7 day sheep hunt I just got back from I took the 3200 Exo and the SO stayed home.

Between Exo, SO, SG, and Kifaru I think individual fit is going to be the most significant factor.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stone Glacier makes it easy to add either their Access bag or their Serac pack to the existing bag of your choosing. If you only need/want a small bag for day hunts out of camp, ditch the larger bag at camp and just secure either of those to the frame.

Personally I find the Solo bag not too big as a day pack and can handle 3 days trips w/o any problem. If longer, I use the Sky 5900 bag.

I agree with the sentiment that first and foremost, find a frame that works well for you. This may ad some expense (shipping costs, etc), but guarantee it's worth in the long run.

There are enough members scattered across the country, you could probably find a few folks that have frames you'd be interested in to meet up and try them on.

My Hoodlum has proved worthy as a do it all pack. From scouting, to hunting from the truck, to full blown backcountry hunting. It does it all and does it well!

jd1006

WKR
I’m really liking the options the 5900 from SG gives you. Also, I love that the meat shelf is built into the frame, not the bag, that allows you to take a lid and and access bag for day trips or organize items differently in a spike camp scenario, so you could effectively leave the SG5900 at camp and use the access and lid for day packing. I’m comparing it with a Kifaru setup and no matter how I work it, the SG setup is at least 2 pounds lighter. For training, all you need is the frame, because the load shelf is built in.

ScottinPA

WKR
I went thru this in 2017. I had a MR and contacted KUIU, Kifaru, and EXO. As long as I didn't use them other than trying out they let me return for full refund. I had all 4 here at the same time and could adjust and load them. Walked up/down stairs and treadmill to see what worked and what didn't. All companies were really good about it.

Lowg08

WKR
I went with the SG sky 5900. It has sky mode 5400 main bag, bivy mode 4300 main bag and can compress down for day use with meat hauling. I have mine packed for a 2 night 2 day archery hunt in bivy mode. Sleeping bag, tent, pad, clothes, food and cooking stuff

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 40
I’m running a EXO bag on a Kifaru Lite frame. That combo is what works best for me.
Don’t be afraid to experiment. High quality equipment is easy to resell

I'm not sure it exists, but I'm looking for a day pack, meat hauler, and 3-4 day backcountry hunting pack. I have had my eye on the Exo K3 4800, but am not sure it will cinch down enough to be comfortable as a day pack. The pack will be primarily used as a day pack, but I usually carry a spotting scope and tripod in my daypack, as well as extra water and a jetboil in colder months out chukar hunting. I primarily hunt elk, mule deer, antelope, and upland game in Nevada, and would like a pack I can use for all of them. Am I crazy wanting one pack for everything? Is anyone else running a similar setup?

I do. There's no way I'm spending $1300 on two packs for hunting.

I just use an exo 6400 for everything. I feel that it packs down enough to use for day hunting. Crazy comfy. I can also pack enough in for a 10 day hunt

OP
nvhunter82
I went thru this in 2017. I had a MR and contacted KUIU, Kifaru, and EXO. As long as I didn't use them other than trying out they let me return for full refund. I had all 4 here at the same time and could adjust and load them. Walked up/down stairs and treadmill to see what worked and what didn't. All companies were really good about it.
That is awesome which one did you end up going with?