Do it all backpack recommendations

OP
nvhunter82
I’m pretty sure scheels sells stone glacier. You could try one there. I have both frames. I do prefer the x curve though. Depends on your body build too as well. I live in elko Nevada if you make it this way and want to try a couple out
Thanks man I appreciate it, I'm over in Minden, so may make the trip up to Scheels to check the Stone Glacier out.

AKSandman

FNG
@nvhunter82
I was looking for a backpack that would cinch down to daypack size too but couldn’t fine one. So I sewed one up myself. It’s 7800 ci fully open and cinched down it takes effort for pull a piece of paper out of the main compartment!
Attached is a picture of it fully compressed.

Attachments

• 0DE18433-275F-4157-926B-9440E7704C51.jpeg
    0DE18433-275F-4157-926B-9440E7704C51.jpeg
    361.3 KB · Views: 66
I have been using a Mystery Ranch Metcalf as my "do everything" pack but i'm looking to upgrade and am interested in this thread.

OP
nvhunter82
I have been using a Mystery Ranch Metcalf as my "do everything" pack but i'm looking to upgrade and am interested in this thread.
So I ended up getting the Exo 4800, and so far it has met my needs as a do-it-all pack, but I haven't taken it on any multi-day trips yet. It compresses really well as a day pack.

gday5

FNG
Really like the Kuiu setup. I mainly run the 2200 ultra because most of my hunts are just day trips, but with all of the different bag options, there is a size for almost anything. Really like the load shelf so the meat doesn't have to go in the bag with the rest of your stuff.

Vaultman

WKR
My choice was a Kifaru Hunting Platform Frame And Suspension in coyote w/ Cargo Panel, two small belt pouches and two large pouches (that attach to the Cargo Panel if/when needed), and a Guide Lid all in Mandrake. Also has a Gunbearer and hanging hydration bladder. This cuts four pounds off my pack weight (compared to the DT1) which is almost half. At an estimated 13lbs (including water and kill kit, rainsuit and other stuff in pouches I am able to move around fairly well. If I need to haul a load (gear or elk) I just compress it between the frame and Cargo Panel. I can trek light but won’t hafta make a trip to the truck to get a freighter to haul meat…it’ll already be on my back. I can fit all my spike camp gear and a week of meals in the 55L dry bag. Compresses to nothing w/o the bag. I think it’s the quintessential rig. Stole the idea from Aron at Kifaru. <g>

[/URL
]
[URL=http://s246.photobucket.com/user/BC9696/media/KIFARUPACK1_zpsmtdmzost.jpg.html][/URL
]
[URL=http://s246.photobucket.com/user/BC9696/media/KIFARUPACK2_zpsrgfdaxwi.jpg.html][/URL
]
[URL=http://s246.photobucket.com/user/BC9696/media/KIFARUPACK3_zpsdewho5sj.jpg.html]

[/URL
]
Thanks for sharing pics. Pistol under the medium pocket! Can't believe I never thought of that. I can put my fixed blade behind the other one.
Great idea.

Jays

FNG
I’ll throw my pack into the mix here. I have the mystery ranch sawtooth 45. I’ve used it as a day pack all year. It’s very roomy, has a load shelf and is comfortable with weight. After I got it last winter I put a 45 lb bag of sand in it for my hikes and it was very comfortable. My version of comfortable could be different than other peoples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the exact same pack, and while it's a great product, and comfortable to use, I found it was larger then I needed for day hikes, hunting locally, and possible emergency overnights. My favorite go to pack is my Savotta Jaakari M. as it is a narrow pack, like my body, and doesn't hang out on the sides. It also allows me to throw my mother canteen kit over the shoulder where it rides well.