Do-it-all boots

hfk

FNG
Looking to get my first pair of higher end boots and wondering what everyone feels is the best "do-it-all" boot. I hunt mostly in the Appalachian mountains and am looking for something that I could wear for both turkey and deer season. I also do a fair bit of hiking with a kid on my back which has me looking for something with a bit more support than the Merrells I have been wearing for the last few years. I am looking at the Schnee's Timberline right now. Anyone have any thoughts on a year round do-it-all boot?

OP
H

hfk

FNG
Crispi Colorados have been great for me as a do all boot.
Looks like a great boot. Honestly, crispi has so many offerings it’s hard to know which models would work best for my situation.

AllPNW

FNG
Whatever fits you best would be my req. But +1 on the Schnee boots. I picked up the Schnee Granite 200g last year after a few other boot tries that didn't fit well for me (Kuiu Scarpa, LOWA). I find that I like a smaller boot for day hikes and shorter backpacking.. so I have some extra boots I found an REI garage sale. I always like to get things slightly used so I don't have to do the breaking in..

REI has used gear online now too - https://www.rei.com/used/shop/mens-footwear?category=Hiking, Work & Winter Boots

OP
H

hfk

FNG
Timberlines are a great choice. I do everything from turkey to high country mule deer in them.
Glad to hear that. The real question is, how often do they restock the common sizes? Stock is a little thin right now.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good choices out there. I'd recommend trying as many top of the line boots as possible and let fit be the determining factor.

My recomendation from personal experience would be Hanwag Alaska GTX. Great leather boot with goretex liner. Stiff enough for some serious mountain hunts but soft enough soles to let you still hunt through deer bush.

Used mine on everything from backpack goat hunts in the rockies, to lowland dayhunts for grouse and everything in between.

OP
H

hfk

FNG
I'd recommend trying as many top of the line boots as possible
I would love to try several different brands and styles but it just doesn’t seem feasible here on the east coast.

rcleofly

FNG
Boots are such a struggle. Every foot is different. It’s also a struggle cause so many of the boots offered you can’t just go to the “hunters foot locker” and slide your feet in them. 75% of the boots I see discussed by hunters, I’ve never seen on the shelf at a store within 50 miles of my home.
What I’m getting at is you have to do the work to find a boot that makes your feet happy and fits the criteria you are after. The good news is we are definitely living in the hay day of hunting boots and the options are endless.
Just as you, I prefer to run an all purpose boot. Something water proof or at least can withstand pretty wet conditions, lite weight, can be used spring summer and fall, works for hiking and hanging in my saddle. So I have two pair lol. I have a pair of Keen Targhee 3’s and a pair of Danner uninsulated Pronghorn’s. Honestly I wear the Keens as much as possible but they just don’t cut the mustard when doing a hunt such as the Mule deer hunt I’ll be on this fall. Go stick your feet in a lot of boots. They will guide you lol.

This will be my 3rd season with my Timberlines. They will work fine for your uses. I hunt WV, NC, and SC deer and turkey with them. Also do a fair amount of hiking in them. Only time I don't wear them is right after they have put down fertilizer and lime in the ag fields I hunt or I am chasing pigs in the low country swamps.

Seeknelk

WKR
Meindl comfort plus are a great boot for what you describe.
But it's all about boots that fit YOU of course.
I also love the Crispi Nevadas but they are a bit stiffer. Maybe more boot than you need.

Seeknelk

WKR
I will say , meindl has one of the best bang for the buck price tags. No insta models to support I suppose

I would say that the best “do it all” type boot is an all leather boot uninsulated with a goretex liner in an 8 or 10 inch height. A boot like that provides a very wide temp range and a very wide terrain range. There’s a good number of company’s that make a boot like this. Schnees, kenetrek, lowa, crispi, hoffmans, hanwag, zamberlan and more. Unfortunately finding the “best” one involves finding the one that fits your foot. This can get pretty expensive if you have a picky foot. I would recommend shopping from a place with a good return policy like Black Ovis. They carry multiple brands with a good boot and there’s a discount code floating around for rokslide members

OP
H

hfk

FNG
Happy to help here. Shoot us a PM or tag us on here and I'll help in any way I can!

- Matt
Thanks for chiming in! Recommendation in your lineup for a do it all boot in the Appalachian mountains?