Do it all Eastern Hunting Pack

I have been running a stone glacier Avail 2200 day pack, and a stone glacier Sky 5900 on a Krux frame this past year.

I hunt public lands in PA primarily and want the ability to pack the deer out to my car instead of dragging. It is also nice to be able to pack in tree steps/tree stands and other awkward heavy loads.

I love the light weight and minimalist design that stone glacier uses. However, I am noticing some down falls while using it in an eastern white-tail setting such as the tall load lifters on the frame getting snagged on brush and branches, and the lay out of the pack not functioning well in a tree.

I've decided to sell the stone glacier packs and start new. Ive been doing some research and think this is what I am going to go with... Would love some input from fellow back pack nuts!

22'' Kifaru Frame
Stryker Cargo Panel
Organizer guide lid
2x Medium Pockets
Sherman Pocket/Grabit

What should I do to add cubic inches to the pack for my cold weather gear and the eventual western trips I plan to take? I know a dry bag is always a solid option but are there any other bags Kifaru or other that would function well with this set up?

md126

WKR
I'd use the 44 mag and add the Sherman Pocket and maybe 1 or 2 more pockets. A pocket/organizer on the belt is also a must. The Kifaru is bomb proof but gets heavy quick...

That being said, I used my Exo 4800 all season back east and it does everything I needed it to do and very well. (I also added the crib panel and a few pockets) I'd also have no trouble taking it out west as is.

Good luck

Hoytaholic

Lil-Rokslider
Great topic as I am looking for the same information, less the need to pack out the deer. Interested to see what people’s thoughts are.

I use an Exo k2 with the 2200 bag and crib load panel. Also have a 3500 bag if I need to pack in extra clothes.

Also use a hpg Decker frame some.

Both are way better than my Cabela's external frame. I haven't had issues with carrying in a stand or carrying out a deboned deer. Weapon carrier is nice also.

OP
G
Have you looked at any of the mystery ranch pop-up packs?
I have looked at the mystery ranch packs. I thought about getting the 28 for a long time. I really like their new larger pack. However I’m still partial to the Stryker and kifaru in general. They just seem to be much more versatile allowing me to build the pack to match exactly what I want out of it.

I am looking for all sorts of input though before I finally pull the trigger

If I'm not using my climber I use a 24'' Bikini frame with a Kuiu 3200 on it. Your not getting any decent buck out in one trip with the 3200.
My climber has a suspension system attached to it and I just strap a cheap pack full of my gear on it. Stand, gear, and loose meat go out the first trip and my 26'' Kifaru goes back in for the 4 quarters.

cvsetter

FNG
Another exo fan here in PA.my 3500 does a great job for packing four sticks and my saddle platform and extra clothes.thought about picking up a used 2000 bag but the way the 3500 compresses down it isn't needed.i been stashing the frame once at the tree and using a shoulder strap off a duck blind bag attached to the lid and taking just the essentials up the tree with me.the kifaru stryker has peaked my interest though,just don't know if I want another pack.

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I also hunt the mountains of PA with a 24" frame. No problem at all. I actually feel better at the end of the day after wearing the frame since it keeps my back straight. I just mounted my new Stryker to the frame and I think it is going to be the perfect pack for me.

OP
G
Non
I also hunt the mountains of PA with a 24" frame. No problem at all. I actually feel better at the end of the day after wearing the frame since it keeps my back straight. I just mounted my new Stryker to the frame and I think it is going to be the perfect pack for me.
no issues with it getting snagged on branches when hiking in?

Brendan

WKR
24" or 26" depends on torso length more than "use". I had a 26 and it was taller than I needed so went back to a 24". I have a 22" too, but that doesn't have enough lift for me carrying heavy loads, so the 22" is for day pack mode.

I would advise 24/26 based on fit, plus Stryker. Then you can add a bigger bag later if you want.

Tylerb

FNG
I have been running a stone glacier Avail 2200 day pack, and a stone glacier Sky 5900 on a Krux frame this past year.

I hunt public lands in PA primarily and want the ability to pack the deer out to my car instead of dragging. It is also nice to be able to pack in tree steps/tree stands and other awkward heavy loads.

I love the light weight and minimalist design that stone glacier uses. However, I am noticing some down falls while using it in an eastern white-tail setting such as the tall load lifters on the frame getting snagged on brush and branches, and the lay out of the pack not functioning well in a tree.

I've decided to sell the stone glacier packs and start new. Ive been doing some research and think this is what I am going to go with... Would love some input from fellow back pack nuts!

22'' Kifaru Frame
Stryker Cargo Panel
Organizer guide lid
2x Medium Pockets
Sherman Pocket/Grabit

What should I do to add cubic inches to the pack for my cold weather gear and the eventual western trips I plan to take? I know a dry bag is always a solid option but are there any other bags Kifaru or other that would function well with this set up?
I really like eberlestock packs. Although a little heavy they are very well built and strong enough to carry a heavy load. I have the “dragonfly”. The zip in panel adds space and if you really need extra space you can add the spike duffel. Like I said though, only downside is the weight of the pack. For me, it’s worth the extra weight for a solid built pack that can handle a lot of weight.

24" or 26" depends on torso length more than "use". I had a 26 and it was taller than I needed so went back to a 24". I have a 22" too, but that doesn't have enough lift for me carrying heavy loads, so the 22" is for day pack mode.

I would advise 24/26 based on fit, plus Stryker. Then you can add a bigger bag later if you want.
The issue with the taller frames is they can test your patience going through the thicker stuff. In PA there really aren't "pack outs" long enough where the extra two inches makes a difference.

You have to think how often will I pack a heavy load and benefit from it verses the benefits of a shorter one navigating the Laurel, rhododendrom, and beech brush.
Non

no issues with it getting snagged on branches when hiking in?
My 26 will test my patience but the 24 is fine for the most part. It's PA so your really not carrying things overly far.

Brendan

WKR
The issue with the taller frames is they can test your patience going through the thicker stuff. In PA there really aren't "pack outs" long enough where the extra two inches makes a difference.

You have to think how often will I pack a heavy load and benefit from it verses the benefits of a shorter one navigating the Laurel, rhododendrom, and beech brush.

My 26 will test my patience but the 24 is fine for the most part. It's PA so your really not carrying things overly far.
Whether or not it matters depends on your build. On a really big dude, a 26 might barely go above your shoulders. On someone real tiny, the 22" will protrude more and hang up more.

I'm 5'11, 33" inseam. 22" is great in the thick stuff, but not enough lift for a heavy load. 24 gives me plenty of lift for as much weight as I can carry without extending too high and to be honest doesn't really hang up any more . 26 is a waste for me and I'll start bumping my head on the pack more when I look up.

If you're buying one frame buy the right one that fits you and gives you enough lift for heavy loads. Hanging up isn't an issue if you do that.

I'm in New England and use my packs here as well as out west - no different than PA.

fatlander

WKR
Your lone wolf loc on with molle waist belt and shoulder harness.

Lash a hydration style pack with the little gear needed to deer hunt. Lash extra layers to the stand.

Use a piece of paracord to convert the seat into a load shelf.

Have a dedicated hauler at the truck if you can’t get it all out the first load.

There is no framed pack that actually works for whitetail hunting. They’re all WAY too loud, too strappy, and set the stand too high above your head while going through brush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
There is no framed pack that actually works for whitetail hunting. They’re all WAY too loud, too strappy, and set the stand too high above your head while going through brush.

I disagree with this.

I've been using Kifaru packs whitetail hunting for 6 years now. From a 22" frame and 22 Mag, to a 26" frame and 7000+ ci EMR2 in a tree.

They work great with lone wolf hang on and hand climber. Just have to find the right way to load them and get used to your setup like anything.

Is it better to walk up to a pre-set tree wearing all your gear with nothing on your back? Sure... But, I haven't found anything that works better yet if you have to be mobile and be able to carry gear with you, and potentially pack something out.

Your lone wolf loc on with molle waist belt and shoulder harness.

Lash a hydration style pack with the little gear needed to deer hunt. Lash extra layers to the stand.

Use a piece of paracord to convert the seat into a load shelf.

Have a dedicated hauler at the truck if you can’t get it all out the first load.

I agree when it comes to tree stand hunting. I have a really good suspension attached to my climber that turns it into a frame pack. All my gear goes in a cheap Fieldline pack that's strapped to the stand. When I kill something my gear and the loose meat go out in the cheap pack with the climber and I then grab the 26'' Kifaru and go back for the 4 quarters.

fatlander

WKR
I disagree with this.

I've been using Kifaru packs whitetail hunting for 6 years now. From a 22" frame and 22 Mag, to a 26" frame and 7000+ ci EMR2 in a tree.

They work great with lone wolf hang on and hand climber. Just have to find the right way to load them and get used to your setup like anything.

Is it better to walk up to a pre-set tree wearing all your gear with nothing on your back? Sure... But, I haven't found anything that works better yet if you have to be mobile and be able to carry gear with you, and potentially pack something out.

You didn’t read what I wrote. I never mentioned anything about prehung sets.

Sneaking in tight on bedded whitetails is a fine art. Heavy cordura, America made zippers, and loud buckles aren’t really conducive to that. 15 straps to undo to get up the tree isn’t conducive to that. Having to hang a gigantic frame and bag in the tree with you is yet another issue. Not to mention having the stand sticking up well above shoulder height while moving in (look at the new striker, the stand is over a foot above your head).

I’ve yet to find a whitetail hunting application where I wished I’d had my mountain warrior and frame. Unless you’re backpacking but that’s apples to oranges.