Do it all rifle for all ages

Ucsdryder

WKR
My go to rifle is a super light tikka t3 in 300 win mag. My significant other is 5’ 2” and 115 pounds. My daughter is 9 and can’t wait to start hunting. I have a 257 roberts in Remington 722 with a youth stock right now that makes for a great gun for both of them but it’s limited on range with a 2-7x. I’m thinking I’d like to add a deer and Antelope (lightweight mountain) gun to the mix that I can shoot, but they can shoot as well. Something along the lines of a 6.5 creed that’ll shoot out to 500-600 (for me, not them). Maybe something with an adjustable butt to change LOP and a shorter barrel? Is this doable in a non-custom or am I looking for 2 rifles?

That tikka 300 kicks like a rented mule and a little overkill for deer and Antelope. Something a little more enjoyable to shoot would be fun for punching paper.

30-08 or 7mm-08.

My buddies wife has one in 308 and it recoils like a .22...

VERY accurate for what it is.

Throw a 4-12 CDS scope on it and find a bullet that works and send your dial in and hunt it.

nobody

WKR
Savage makes a model 110 (I think???) with an accufit stock (I think that's what it's called) that allows you to change out spacers in the stock for adjusted LOP and cheek riser height. I'm no fan of savage rifles, but it sounds like it's what you're looking for!

Found a link to my local Cabela's just so you can see what I'm talking about, but I'm sure you could find it elsewhere as well!

The Boyd's at-one stock is really nice for adjustability. I have one on a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM. It's a tack driver, but its heavy. You can get the stock for a lot of different makes and models.

Sandstrom

WKR
Another vote for the X-bolt. I have had the “compact” x -bolt in 308 for several years. I am not a small person, 5’10” 220 and it works great for me! It is a very light and handy rifle. The shorter lop has never been an issue for me, it allows for extra layers for cold or a pack strap. Also the 20 inch barrel is great for getting through the woods! The only issue I have with it was when I bought it the guy at the gun store thought it was for my wife:)

wyosam

WKR
I’d say either an accu-fit stocked savage in 6.5cm or 7/08 (or maybe a 6 something or other if its just deer sized game?), or as others have said something in a compact if you don’t mind shooting the short LOP. I have a Model 7 compact .243 with an 18” tube that is awfully handy. I shoot it well despite the short stock. It’s my wife’s rifle, but I have used it far more than she has. In fact I think its time to either get her something similar in 7-08, or just re-barrel that one. I have quite a few components for .243, maybe I’ll just make an effort to shoot the barrel out of that one this winter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A T3 Lite with a muzzle brake, dropped into a chassis, such as an MDT, as shown in the pic here:

Sorry for the lousy pic btw.

zSXp9Nm.jpg

covers multiple shooters in terms of size/fitment. The ability to quickly adjust the stock to suit the end user, and whatever they may be wearing is pretty handy. Simple, no gunsmithing and ready to go.

This particular one is a .308 lite that I ended putting a 20" varmint barreled action in it later, but it makes for a good example.

Everyone will have an opinion on perfect cartridges, but for your self imposed limitation of 600 yards, a .308 with a good brake or a 6.5 CM would be hard to beat.

ElPollo

WKR
Have you seen this post?

Rob5589

WKR
Tikka 7/08 in a XLR chassis should fit all of you pretty well. My 14 y.o. daughter shoots a T3 in 7/08 all day long without issue.

TxxAgg

WKR
Just get another Tikka with the compact stock. They come in 223, 243, 6.5. 7-08, and 308

mlgc20

WKR
I got my 13 year old a Savage Compact 308 when she was 9. She shot reduced recoil ammo for 3 years and then moved to full loads. It came with a low end Nikon scope. We replaced that with a Leupold VX-3i with side focus. It’s been a great gun that she’s used on deer and hogs. Hoping to move to an elk next week.

Bsnyder

WKR
My vote 6mm creed in what ever tickles your fancy that round I have found a soft spot for!

sndmn11

WKR
I have a Weatherby Camilla in 7-08 with a brake, and a Weatherby compact in 6.5cm with a brake that I am happy to let you guys test drive at the range. The former I am very comfortable shooting, and so is every other man who has tried it, and the latter has an adjustable stock as well as a BC aftermarket.

I also have another vanguard in 30-06 if you want to get an idea of what a brake does with that type of cartridge.

22lr

WKR
I'm not a huge fan of chasis setups for most hunting applications... but they really shine when you start talking about adjustability.

A good chasis on a 25-06, 308 or 270 would be my choice for trying to stay recoil sensitive but also usable for anything in North America. If you roll your own, the 30-06 is still king of the pack, but your gonna want to reload your own to take advantage of the lighter weight bullet selections. The 6.5cm is a pretty versatile round, I just didn't grow up with it so I tend to stick with what I know...

Final thought: Adding a good brake will take heavier weight bullets out of any of those rounds down to much more manageable levels, allowing you to really exploit the heavier stuff in larger game.

Do-all rifle for all ages? That's a no-brainer.

Savage Lightweight Storm in 7mm-08. Comes with spacers to adjust length of pull, and the caliber will handle a wide range of tasks.

Mine is a tack driver.

Ripnbst

FNG
Look at the Bergara B14 Wilderness Ridge. It comes factory with a muzzle brake and Cerakoted barreled action so you get great field readiness out of it. They offer it in 6.5 CM which is what I would recommend

6.5 Grendel is a pretty slick round depending on what you're in to... surprising ballistics if you stack it up again pretty popular rounds (243, 25-06, etc.). My kids like em and I've got a pile of brass and bullets.

WCB

WKR
7-08 in a Savage Storm or other model that has the accufit stock. Not only LOP adjustable but adjustable cheek which IMO is almost more important than LOP.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm on the 7mm-08 train as well. A Tikka, or 700 clone, or Howa 1500 dropped into an XLR Element 3.0 Magnesium is what I'm currently considering for this same purpose. Also, check out The Hobbit Rifle.

If you hand load the 280 AI would also be a good choice.