Do it all rig still ready, 58 caliber.

WKR
Bought a used 58 Caliber Hawken a couple years ago. Built with an old Green River Rifle Works barrel and named after the barrel maker, Lloyd is a joy to hunt with. Messed around a bit today using some over powder charge felt wads. He seems to be sighted in right at 125 yards based on being about 2" high at 100. Using Swiss FFg powder and it seems a bit hotter than some others I tested. I need to drift the rear over a bit but 2" right at 100 yards is not a big deal to me. Here's hoping he gets a chance to get noisy soon.

Even using that big .570 roundball and a firm charge of Swiss, recoil is pretty mild. I'd encourage those who have not tried the old hammer style guns to give them a run. They are a hoot to hunt with.

OP

WKR
Barrel is 33.25". Only 1" across the flats, it carries quite well. Balance is great for offhand shooting as well.

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
Beautiful rifle! I just got my 1st traditional muzzleloader the other day and spent Saturday getting acquainted. Love these older rifles! Andy ours has a lot of character in the wood to boot!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Bought a used 58 Caliber Hawken a couple years ago. Built with an old Green River Rifle Works barrel and named after the barrel maker, Lloyd is a joy to hunt with. Messed around a bit today using some over powder charge felt wads. He seems to be sighted in right at 125 yards based on being about 2" high at 100. Using Swiss FFg powder and it seems a bit hotter than some others I tested. I need to drift the rear over a bit but 2" right at 100 yards is not a big deal to me. Here's hoping he gets a chance to get noisy soon.

Even using that big .570 roundball and a firm charge of Swiss, recoil is pretty mild. I'd encourage those who have not tried the old hammer style guns to give them a run. They are a hoot to hunt with.

Lloyd Shoots great and is really purdy, too.

I have a side-hammer Hawken my daddy built in .54. I like shooting it for old time’s sake, but it’s only good to about 80 yards for vital sized groups. KabOOOOOOM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP

WKR
Might do better with some playing around with patches and various ball sizes. That said, 80 yards is plenty. My 54 with roundballs was pretty hard on deer and antelope.