Do it all spotter for a reasonable price

I’ve been on the hunt for a spotter that covers most of my needs. I’m looking at the Gen 1 razor on sportsman’s for $750 or the Tract Toric for $1494. I’m pretty sure the Tract will be a little cheaper with Black Friday sale.

I realize there is a big difference in price but my goal is to get a full size spotter for shooting and hunting when not going ultralight. If weight is a big factor I will just use binos off tripod.

Both have reticle options which I like as well.

For almost twice as much I’m not sure the Toric is worth it even though I really like the Tract products. I’ve used Tract binos and their 4-20 and the glass is incredible.

Has anyone who has used the razor Gen 1 give feedback as to how it performs to higher level spotting scopes? Also open to thoughts on other “big” spotter in these price ranges.

Thanks!

SDChungus

FNG
Have you considered an older swarovski sts or stm 65mm? I have seen them floating around the classifieds. I am no expert but from what I have read they are still amazing glass for that $1300-$1400 range. Venture to say equal or better to the vortex. Just a thought.

Wapiti1

WKR
Pentax PF80ED is a lot of scope for the money. IMO, one of the best scopes in the $1000 price tier.

I would suspect that the Tract scope is a step up from Vortex.

That said, I would save for a Kowa 77mm, and see what deals come up for one of those. Extremely good combo of size, weight and optics.

Jeremy

ZackP

WKR
Go with what you want.
I had the Ares. While decent for the money, over 35X it’s lacking.

Benefit of a Gen 1 Razor is being able to find the old 30X EP. Its also compatible with the ATS/STS eyepieces. FWIW I did prefer the glass in the Razor over the Ares, but not by much. And if I remember correctly the glass is the same in the Gen 1 and 2 Razors.

I have no doubt the Tract will blow both out of the water. If I had to guess it’s basically a clone of the SX5 and Sig spotters with different glass.

Why hasn’t Tract lent one out to Rokslide for a review yet!?!?

ZackP

WKR
Also would second the non HD Swaro as I forgot to mention that above.

One thing that did catch my eye on the Tract is the 105/73 FOV.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
Have you considered an older swarovski sts or stm 65mm? I have seen them floating around the classifieds. I am no expert but from what I have read they are still amazing glass for that $1300-$1400 range. Venture to say equal or better to the vortex. Just a thought.
Thank you I will look into this!

OP
Kyle Wheeler
Pentax PF80ED is a lot of scope for the money. IMO, one of the best scopes in the $1000 price tier.

I would suspect that the Tract scope is a step up from Vortex.

That said, I would save for a Kowa 77mm, and see what deals come up for one of those. Extremely good combo of size, weight and optics.

Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy!I remember S&S had a killer deal on the 77 Kowa.. I’ll look into that modem more appreciate it!

OP
Kyle Wheeler
Go with what you want.
I had the Ares. While decent for the money, over 35X it’s lacking.

Benefit of a Gen 1 Razor is being able to find the old 30X EP. Its also compatible with the ATS/STS eyepieces. FWIW I did prefer the glass in the Razor over the Ares, but not by much. And if I remember correctly the glass is the same in the Gen 1 and 2 Razors.

I have no doubt the Tract will blow both out of the water. If I had to guess it’s basically a clone of the SX5 and Sig spotters with different glass.

Why hasn’t Tract lent one out to Rokslide for a review yet!?!?
Thank you sir! I would probably have a desire to upgrade if I went with razor I think. I’m surprised the Ares glass was so close. I agree Rockslide needs a review on that Tract Toric!

OP
Kyle Wheeler
Also would second the non HD Swaro as I forgot to mention that above.

One thing that did catch my eye on the Tract is the 105/73 FOV.
Do you consider that to be pretty low for a 27-55? The Leupold has 107/73 as well so I think you’re spot on about this being similar to SX5 and Sig.

ZackP

WKR
Do you consider that to be pretty low for a 27-55? The Leupold has 107/73 as well so I think you’re spot on about this being similar to SX5 and Sig.
It seems to me it’s on the low end for FOV.

The Meopro 80 was 105/63 and I found it obnoxious to look through. Could be an issue, might not be. But I found the ED50 with 13-40 EP a joy to look through compared to the Meopro 80.

Could just be personal preference I suppose. As everyone always says “everyone’s eyes are different”

Wrench

WKR
I ran the pf80ed 20 years ago and it is STILL a contender. Bomber eyepiece in the variable, incredible with the fixed. If you found a Nikon 82ed....especially with a fixed wide angle eyepiece, you're going to be very surprised at the performance for its size.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll be the odd man out and say the 85 gen1 vortex new for 750 is hard to beat for the price. Heck for that price it’s great for having as an extra spotter. It’s not top tier glass but it does a pretty dang good job. I’d put it right there with the older non hd swaros people are suggesting that you’d pay more for and are 10+ years old most the time. I’d say they are easily right there with any of the mid tier spotters and for that price I don’t see passing it up. UNLESS your willing to wait longer and save more money for the next level up.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
I’ll be the odd man out and say the 85 gen1 vortex new for 750 is hard to beat for the price. Heck for that price it’s great for having as an extra spotter. It’s not top tier glass but it does a pretty dang good job. I’d put it right there with the older non hd swaros people are suggesting that you’d pay more for and are 10+ years old most the time. I’d say they are easily right there with any of the mid tier spotters and for that price I don’t see passing it up. UNLESS your willing to wait longer and save more money for the next level up.
Thank you! From a price standpoint $750 it seems hard to beat especially since it’s new.