DO NOT tell your non hunting friends you killed an elk...

blackdawg

WKR
I have shared with nonhunters on and off for 40 years, but in the end they are for the most part freeloaders. Same as hikers, bikers birdwatchers, etc., that freeload at all facilities and lands funded by hunters dollars. The one’s that want to hunt will have the desire to taste their own and find the gumption to get out and try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
Some hippy treehuggers hunt elk themselves: I'm one of them. When people try to put whole groups of folks in one bucket, they usually don't fit. For the last decade I've never had any of my numerous uber liberal friends come to a dinner party of wild game with anything other than alms, gratitude and appreciation. The vegans don't partake but they don't judge either, they especially appreciate the ethics and the craft (I always hook them up with some veggie courses they appreciate anyway).

don’t forget you and your leaf licking friends love of wolves. You just described the most horrific dinner I could imagine. If there is a hell, and I get sent there, every night will have a dinner date that just described with leaf lickers and vegans.

Some hippy treehuggers hunt elk themselves: I'm one of them. When people try to put whole groups of folks in one bucket, they usually don't fit. For the last decade I've never had any of my numerous uber liberal friends come to a dinner party of wild game with anything other than alms, gratitude and appreciation. The vegans don't partake but they don't judge either, they especially appreciate the ethics and the craft (I always hook them up with some veggie courses they appreciate anyway).

I'm not too far off from a hippie tree hugger at times too. I've got a really good friend who is a vegan. He's also the most reasonable person I know. After talking about the ethics of hunting, and quality of the protein, he wants to hunt elk too! We just talked about how the elk live the life an elk is supposed to live, it'll likely die of predation/starvation/injury/infection/ground down teeth or some other terrible death, and that a good hunter takes the life as quickly as possible. I wish people could see past labels and really have true discussions with people they seem to disagree with.

don’t forget you and your leaf licking friends love of wolves. You just described the most horrific dinner I could imagine. If there is a hell, and I get sent there, every night will have a dinner date that just described with leaf lickers and vegans.

The wolves are cool! I saw three this season. All alone and walking through a field mid-day. Didn't see a Grizzly this year though....which is a very good thing!

I'm not too far off from a hippie tree hugger at times too. I've got a really good friend who is a vegan. He's also the most reasonable person I know. After talking about the ethics of hunting, and quality of the protein, he wants to hunt elk too! We just talked about how the elk live the life an elk is supposed to live, it'll likely die of predation/starvation/injury/infection/ground down teeth or some other terrible death, and that a good hunter takes the life as quickly as possible. I wish people could see past labels and really have true discussions with people they seem to disagree with.
I get that, but whats wrong with a thread about how good elk meat is just simply staying that way...

I get that, but whats wrong with a thread about how good elk meat is just simply staying that way...
Nothing at all :)

Once a thread is released into the wild it takes on a life of it's own I guess. I couldn't agree more with elk meat being delicious...I just butchered half my bull today and couldn't get over how much I love the look and taste of elk meat.

sasquatch

WKR
People act like a deer/elk is a damn elephant!! They just think there’s tons of meat to give

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

19hunt92

Lil-Rokslider
If someone tells me they want some elk meat but doesn’t like deer. I always give them deer. They always tell me how great it is later. Makes me happy...
"I don't eat venison, only beef", ok...here is some home made summer sausage. "wow, that's better than anything else I've had, what did you do", "made with venison, all completely butchered at home, no processor what so ever".

Awkward silence followed by slow chewing of the bite they already took... :ROFLMAO:

wyosam

WKR
I’m happy to share, but I typically have more than enough for the family (2-3 elk most years).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gotta admit, I feel their pain man. I've only been at it for two years. Got about as close as you can get without firing a shot last year, but didn't seal the deal. Fires threw a real wrench in everything this year and I ended up in an OTC unit with about 5 million people. So after two years, I've literally yet to taste elk. But I know that first bite is gonna be amazing when I finally make it happen. Talk about delayed gratification lol

2-Stix

WKR
I bought a lot of gear this year, travled 1,500 miles, out of state tags fees...my black tail I got this week is worth about $180 per pound. I wont be sharing much.

Yep! I’ve got tons of wild game meat. I don’t share! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk