Do sub-$300 mountain hunting boots exist?

NJ_BHA

FNG
I guess the thread title says it all. A boot with a waterproof membrane, good ankle support, full rand and maybe 200g insulation under $300?

OP
NJ_BHA

NJ_BHA

FNG
Not insulated. Asolo would check the rest of your boxes. Sierra trading post usually has a selection.
Thanks man. It seems insulation may not even be necessary from what I'm reading. Posted the thread and then dug a bit deeper. This question has DEFINITELY been asked a hundred different ways :D

renagde

WKR
I used Lowa's that I got on closeout for just over $100. They did very well for me. Goretex liner held up well, didn't get wet feet, and didn't get hotspots blisters or sores. Some people choose $150 trail runners. You need to decide what's best for you and to do that, you need to put a bunch of miles into whatever footwear you choose long before you hit the mountain.

Boots are just like any other equipment that we take hunting. Different people have different needs. If you're strong, fit and not carrying too much weight you might prefer tennis shoes/hiking shoes. If you've got weaker feet or past injuries then you may need a more protective/supportive mountain boot. If you're in between there are lots of 6" light hiking boots that can be found for $75-$125.

As I've gotten older and I've beat up my feet I've found that I need a real mountain boot. Just 5 years ago I didn't.

*zap*

WKR
If you know the sizing details for yourself and the boots then like new/slightly used on here or ebay might be the way to go, pretty good savings if you shop it correctly and are patient.

I have no personal experience, but check these out.

I have a pair (just got em). Only a couple miles on them but so far they’re solid for the money.

RCB

WKR
I have hunted in the mountains, with success, in footwear that costed under $300, without any problem. Under $200 in fact. People have done that for a long time. Were they “mountain boots” by your definition? No. Perhaps you do not need a full rand and insulation.

adrock456

FNG
Elk Tracker boot by Irish Setter. Just under $300, insulated, ankle support and waterproof. On my 3rd season with them and no issues yet. I bet I have almost 500 miles in them.

b2one

WKR
The "over $300" mountain boot that you are describing has some very specific characteristics for mountaineering, like a very stiff shank for edging on rock, kicking steps in snow, keeping automatic crampons in place, etc, in addition to insulation and ankle support. I have those types of boots, and they are great when I am ice climbing, spring peak bagging, etc. However, the times I have needed those attributes while hunting are very low. It is nice to have the extra stiffness when you are descending a slope with a 100 lb pack, but other than that, I prefer a shoe or boot that lets my foot flex more while I hike around all day. My feet are less sore at the end of the day if they are able to move more naturally than a stiff mountaineering boot allows for. The most important thing, is that they keep your feet comfortable for multiple days of lots of miles. Keep in mind that having more flex in the shoe also means that you will have to make sure that your feet are conditioned to moving over rough terrain in a flexible shoe - you will use muscles and balance in positions that you don't normally see in day to day life.

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I would suggest you take a look at the mammut trovats. They are a solid hiking boot and I picked them up for $125 and are every bit as good as my Crispi valdres at $270 +. But what works for me may not work for you so try as many on as you can and get out of the “hunting boot” mentality as well.

Ronb

WKR
Crispi briksdal stiff flex. Gotta find them on sale. I just paid $300. The regular bricksdal did not seem stiff at all. Not a mountain boot at all in my opinion. But the stiff flex is definitely everything you just asked for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhlyanPan

FNG
I have a pair (just got em). Only a couple miles on them but so far they’re solid for the money.

I have these as well.

I guess the answer is yes since I have yet to spend $300 on a pair of boots, and I've hunted the past 5 years in the mountains of Colorado, often above 10K feet. Boots are an item I personally believe it's very easy to overspend on. For my money, I go 2nd hand or clearance and have done just fine under $300. I spend more time selecting insoles than I do boots.

REI has a pretty good 2nd hand store online. It's worth looking at.

Not insulated. Asolo would check the rest of your boxes. Sierra trading post usually has a selection.

I had north of 400 elk hunting miles on my TPS250’s before they needed a new sole. I bought my last pair on SteepAndCheap I think. But boots are really personal, fit is important. Your feet might hate what my feet love.

Benjblt

WKR
These are on sale for 200 and are stiff soled and light.

Salewa Crow GTX Mountaineering Boots - Men's | REI Co-op

This is on sale now. Order a 1/2 size up at least. I really liked this boot but I've never used it outside.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

amp713

WKR
I just got salewa rapace on a deal for 200 and have only had them out once but they feel good just need to see how durable they are