Do they really climb 1500' or 2000'

Rise over run, yep. Should have thought of it more as a 12/12 pitch. 45degrees is still pretty steep, but manageable

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Technically the way he described it, "If you gain a foot in elevation for a foot of distance". One foot of distance is equal to the hypotenuse. Therefore the sin(Angle) = elevation gain/distance (Hypotenuse). Taking the arcsine of both sides yields the angle. If the hypotenuse and the rise are equal to 1 the angle yields 90°. Which equates to climbing straight up.
1:0 = 90 degrees

I never consider "exploring" a moot point, I love it. Elk hunting is rarely ever a one day affair. Most of the season is made up of "all this climbing and hiking without killing" anything, even if you do see something.
True, exploring is never a moot point. The more you explore the more you learn. But, when you are on out of stater with limited time to hunt, you try and make your trip an elk hunting trip and not an "exploring trip." But, I wouldn't trade any of the 14 days I have spent in the elk woods over my two trips for anything. Even though I have yet to harvest an elk, it was still a blast and I have learned a ton each trip. The more I explore, the more spots I find. When I head back in 2020, I know the first place I will be.

Good one Danny, you win the "answered most literally" award. I'll try to remember this laugh on a day I'm cussing a climb.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
I thought you might enjoy that 😆

Honestly, I don't track my elevation throughout the day. I can tell you that we hike anywhere from 5 miles to 15 miles. That's up, over and across hills, draws, ridges, drainages, gullies, etc.

P Carter

WKR
Following on my earlier comment...I'm plenty wary of keyboard warriors. But I don't think 1,500 to 2,000 vertical feet is keyboard warrior syndrome. Particularly if you're talking about vertical feet in a day. From my experience, it seems a very reasonable estimate of a pretty reasonable day.

Poser

WKR
I have a good way to establish a frame of reference here.

The hiking version of the Colorado Trail is 485 miles and about 75,000 (actually don’t see the elevation profile for the hiking route but that this the elevation gain of the Bike version) feet of elevation gain at an average elevation of 10,347 feet. The average hiking speed is 5 weeks, so the average Thru hiker is averaging 16 miles and 2,500 feet of elevation gain a day. Since the trail covers 5 mountain ranges from Denver to the SW, that should give you a good idea of what a person can expect to cover on a sustained day to day basis. I would guess that for hunters, it would be more like 8 miles and *as much as* 2,500 feet a day since they are generally moving slower and often off trail, though are deliberately going to high points instead of around them, but if you’re outpacing a Thruhiker, you probably aren’t hunting effectively.

I don't really track it any more, but I summed up all the climbing and walking distance one year and we did 26000 and change feet of climb and 84 miles in 7 days. We have since discovered spike camps to cut down on some of that. I was beat after that week.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
If you do the math, 1500 ft is only 500 yards. Doesn't sound too hard to me, especially if you have all day to do it

2rocky

WKR
For curiosity sake I checked out the hike I did for 3 mornings in Nevada. Camp at 8700 feet, Hiked to 9200 in morning before daylight and the high point was 9700 feet beyond that. Doesn't take in the rolling ridges and sidehill in between. Did a 3 mile loop, so was back to camp before 10 am most mornings.

So I 'd believe someone if they said 1500-2000 feet where there are deep draws and high ridges. But Honestly Elevation is like money to me. Spend it wisely. A spring to camp on higher on a ridge is very valuable.

gauge

Lil-Rokslider
It's all relative. Have heard of guys hiking 60 vertical miles in 8 days. Got to be "Gritty" to cover over 39'000 feet a day though. ;)

cnelk

WKR
Ive posted this before but this could be informative to some that havent seen it.

To see your elevation gain in GE, select 'Ruler' > 'Path' > select 'Show Elevation Profile' and make your route.

It will show you all kinds of info - Have fun

GE_Elev Profile.JPG

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
de2daa0312e41e8533ff1a8e5a7772d2.jpg

Here is some perspective. I did a training hike at the Grand Canyon last week before heading into Phoenix for some afternoon meetings. Granted this was on a trail and I was hiking not hunting, but I covered 9,000’ of elevation change in under 5hrs. 2,000’ in a day isn’t a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hobbes

WKR
The 1000 and 1500 that I mentioned is just to start hunting. How many times do you think myself or anyone else is staying at that elevation afterwards? It almost always turns into an up and down affair either trying to find them or chase them once the hunt really starts. That initial part is typically the most brutal though, at least in my examples, unless I go straight back down and back up the other side. In addition, I often prefer the climb over the descent. I don't track any of it, but know what the contour lines say from trail to ridge top.

I apparently only care how bad it is while it's happening. I recall it as great fun a day or so afterwards, but it can really suck when you aren't in the elk. I should mention that I'm not a fitness freak and don't spend months on end prepping for season. If a person is doing some hard core preparing, there's no doubt in my mind they could do a lot more vertical feet than I can (or at least do it with more style).

OP
L

Lowke01

Lil-Rokslider
Well I guess it's official, there are a lot of elk hunting bad asses on Rokslide and YouTube. Hopefully all you guys will chase some elk down so I can find them with a 1000' or less climb. Please get above them when the thermals are still dropping so we can speed the process up!

1500 plus climbs are absolutely one of the things I look for in my map recon. I target elk that I hope people consider inconvenient at best and maybe even daunting to get to- and climbs are way more available and useful than pure mileage when it comes to getting some privacy. 4000’ of climbing Is way more real than the ever present 100lb 10 mile one way pack outs that you

OP
L

Lowke01

Lil-Rokslider
1500 plus climbs are absolutely one of the things I look for in my map recon. I target elk that I hope people consider inconvenient at best and maybe even daunting to get to- and climbs are way more available and useful than pure mileage when it comes to getting some privacy. 4000’ of climbing Is way more real than the ever present 100lb 10 mile one way pack outs that you
You make a good point that the climbs are easier to find as a get away than mileage is. More people will naturally go to the mileage than the climb.

Jqualls10

FNG
We will climb 1500' pretty easy on our days hunts. Many days we will climb that in the morning go back to camp in the afternoon and climb back up about 500-600'. We have climbed 2000-2500' on some occasions for day hunts.

Well I guess it's official, there are a lot of elk hunting bad asses on Rokslide and YouTube. Hopefully all you guys will chase some elk down so I can find them with a 1000' or less climb. Please get above them when the thermals are still dropping so we can speed the process up!

2K feet makes you a badass? My 6 yr old climbed 2k yesterday up to 12k’. I don’t even think he has a Rokslide account. Ide get him on her to brag it up to you but I think he is busy playing with his Legos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

Lowke01

Lil-Rokslider
2K feet makes you a badass? My 6 yr old climbed 2k yesterday up to 12k’. I don’t even think he has a Rokslide account. Ide get him on her to brag it up to you but I think he is busy playing with his Legos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Amazing, truly amazing. I'm so impressed. Thank you for posting this.