Do they really climb 1500' or 2000'

Cdpp880

WKR
I hate all of you "yeah do it all the time guys". I do think its easily doable for allot of people. I am not one of those. Last year I hunted in the Sangra's (so steep) I was averaging around 1200-1500'/day. My legs were good to go but coming from sea level my lungs never caught up with being 10000'. With I could do something to better prepare me for the elevation, haven't found it yet.

I keep hearing a bunch of elk hunting you tubers talk about climbing 1500 to 2000' on day hunts to get to elk or away from people. How many of you are getting a net gain of a 1500' on your day hunts?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Where i hunt usually it’s 3000 feet to get up to the alpine. That’s before you start hunting. So 2000 is nothing really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T137

FNG
New here, but wanted to comment. In my hunting areas 1500' or more is normal. From my house I could hike close to 5000' within 10 miles, a doable back-country distance for a pack hunt. My hunt camp this year is at about 9600', from my camp I drop into a canyon about 1700' in the morning because that is the easiest access to it. Coming out I walk about 3 miles out instead of straight up.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I hate all of you "yeah do it all the time guys". I do think its easily doable for allot of people. I am not one of those. Last year I hunted in the Sangra's (so steep) I was averaging around 1200-1500'/day. My legs were good to go but coming from sea level my lungs never caught up with being 10000'. With I could do something to better prepare me for the elevation, haven't found it yet.
Cardio, and staying hydrated. Guys overlook the hydration aspect of it but it's extremely important.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ndbuck09

WKR
to second hydration, when i'm behind on my hydration, my heart rate will start spiking with much less physical output. Its super important to be pissing clear.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I love climbing those steep faces into places, because nobody else does that normally. Everyone else takes the "easy" way in. I prefer to access and approach areas that most people don't use. Gives the elk a different perspective from where all the calling isn't normally coming from.

I generally (as in never) even keep track of this kind of stuff. I know the GPS does, but I never even look at that. It's steep and it's a ways to the top, that's about as technical as I get with it. In 2012 I hiked in for 3 1/2 hours from the truck where I shot a bull right at timberline, and it was "up" the entire way from the truck.

totally possible. but as one guy said earlier why are they doing this. i prefer to take an elevation and hike it, i always try, repeat try to never lose elevation. my goal is to make a good solid loop during the day without climbing too much. now of course i can easily drop and climb 1000 feet in a days time. burned up from 9000 ish up to 9800 last year, didnt see a single animal til i was a quarter mile from the truck and a dandy mule deer caught me off guard and completely bushwacked. brings up another good point, always stay alert.

Cdpp880

WKR
I am literally coming form sea level 0feet/beach. My cardio could be better but is not bad either. for me anything below 9500' and I do Ok but anything above that and I notice a drastic difference. even after being there for 5-6 days. it does get a little better after a few days but about the time I really get acclimated I'm heading back home.

Raghornkiller

Lil-Rokslider
I have in the past climbed 3 different mountains in a day all around 2000 foot elevation gain.Usually I'm chasing elk but sometimes when I cant find any I'll hike close to 20 miles in a day and hit a couple spots

I've done 2000' completely out of shape and somewhat hungover in probably 90min or less. So I would say for someone who is in shape and hunting a lot, that's a breeze.

But reality is, all this climbing and hiking is a moot point if you don't see or kill anything. My Dads favorite spot in Colorado is about a 25' elevation gain from the truck. Two years hes hunted that spot and sees elk every time just can't get an arrow in one. Biggest elk i have ever seen was 300' above camp and 1/4 mile from main road. Go figure. Stumbled on him after hiking 6 miles and gaining over 3000' over the course of a day. Damn elk were right at camp.

ridgefire

WKR
Our camp is at about 6700' and we usually hunt between 8 and 9000'. 2000' of elevation gain in a day is easy hunting where we hunt.

Shrek

WKR
I don’t even hunt what I’d call steep terrain and way over 2000’ gained. I just looked at one place and it’s 1587’ up to where I really start to hunt. Then a 597’ drop in about 1/8 mile and the back up the other side. Then skirt a couple of gulches with a slow gain and loss of a hundred feet or so. Then cut back down and up that 597’ and then back down the 1587’ mountain spine. Once I’m up on top I do my best not to give up altitude until I’m headed out.
I’ll also add that there’s altitude gain and then there’s altitude gain. A couple hundred feet of gain through downed timber will freaking kill you where 3000’ of old road isn’t bad.

Last edited:
Camp is 10,400, home is 600 ft. First two days are rough. The Daily hunt varies about 950 ft to 1000 feet , has run as much as about 1300 feet in a day where I hunt. So definitely can vary. Got to find them where they are. We often have three to four small groups of elk scattered over about 5-7 miles depending upon hunting pressure. Sometimes there are none. That's when the 1300 feet variance comes in to play, trying to find them.

hobbes

WKR
Two spots that I hunt that I probably climb the most start at 6200 and 5100. I typically climb to the top of the ridges in the dark (mostly in the dark) at 7200 and 6600, respectively. So, 1,000 and 1,500 feet. Both climbs are in relatively short distances, so steep enough that there are always a few "what the hell am I doing" or "Im never hunting this spot again" statements. From there I usually hope to stay near that top elevation and get into elk, but then a bull bugles and I'm off to the races.

The 1000 ft climb is the steepest. I sometimes try to side hill it as far as I can to make it a little more gradual, but other times it's dang near up in a straight line. The elk are notorious for letting me climb half way up in the dark then bugling from the opposite side of the canyon regardless which side that I start on. Its never paid off to slip and slide back down and climb up the other side because Im always trying to catch up. However, I'm sure to try it again. I mostly hunt 3 or 4 days at a time instead of day hunts in there, but I have day hunted it and I'll probably day hunt it on the opener this year.

I find myself cussing some of the darndest places that I let elk lead me while consistently being defeated, but I turn around and do it again. I left that spot last year saying I'm not going back without pack animals. My memory must suck.... I'll be hunting it on the opener with a pack on my back and hoping to come out heavier than on my way in.

Last edited:
OP
L

Lowke01

Lil-Rokslider
Two spots that I hunt that I probably climb the most start at 6200 and 5100. I typically climb to the top of the ridges in the dark (mostly in the dark) at 7200 and 6600, respectively. So, 1,000 and 1,500 feet. Both climbs are in relatively short distances, so steep enough that there are always a few "what the hell am I doing" or "Im never hunting this spot again" statements. From there I usually hope to stay near that top elevation and get into elk, but then a bull bugles and I'm off to the races.

The 1000 ft climb is the steepest. I sometimes try to side hill it as far as I can to make it a little more gradual, but other times it's dang near up in a straight line. The elk are notorious for letting me climb half way up in the dark then bugling from the opposite side of the canyon regardless which side that I start on. Its never paid off to slip and slide back down and climb up the other side because Im always trying to catch up. However, I'm sure to try it again. I mostly hunt 3 or 4 days at a time instead of day hunts in there, but I have day hunted it and I'll probably day hunt it on the opener this year.

I find myself cussing some of the darndest places that I let elk lead me while consistently being defeated, but I turn around and do it again. I left that spot last year saying I'm not going back without pack animals. My memory must suck.... I'll be hunting it on the opener with a pack on my back and hoping to come out heavier than on my way in.
You did a great job if summarizing elk hunting in just a few paragraphs. I hope this is your year in there.

I keep hearing a bunch of elk hunting you tubers talk about climbing 1500 to 2000' on day hunts to get to elk or away from people. How many of you are getting a net gain of a 1500' on your day hunts?

I would say my day hunts usually net 0 elevation. They usually begin and end at the same location.

OP
L

Lowke01

Lil-Rokslider
I would say my day hunts usually net 0 elevation. They usually begin and end at the same location.
Good one Danny, you win the "answered most literally" award. I'll try to remember this laugh on a day I'm cussing a climb.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I went and pulled a couple of trail cams today before season opens on Friday. Right at 2500' of gain, but a few up downs and deadfall for good measure. Walked right up on a great bull less than 75 yards from where I glassed him up back the first week of July.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk