Do western hunters long for eastern hunts

isu22andy

WKR
Grew up on the family farm and still hunt alot of it and the neighbors. What I like is theres so much variety in critters to hunt. Turkeys, whitetails, coyotes, racoons, geese, ducks, doves, pheasants, squirrels and most of it you can do with 4-5 buddies after a days work. Thats what Id miss the most if I moved west . Pounding out a limit of geese with your friends or getting a good deer drive going . I can literally hunt almost everyday after work being single with no wife.

I do love Colorado elk and muley hunting there is nothing better. I would like to do an alligator hunt and a white tail hunt but I would choose an Alaskan Caribou or moose hunt if I was going to venture out of my home state for $5-$10k

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

16Bore

WKR
Those threads where easterners are begging for coordinates or a guide get really old.

I do love Colorado elk and muley hunting there is nothing better. I would like to do an alligator hunt and a white tail hunt but I would choose an Alaskan Caribou or moose hunt if I was going to venture out of my home state for $5-$10k

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I haven’t looked into the cost of an out-of-state trapper license (I’m not sure that it’s any more than the $75 resident trapper license), but if you knew a Florida resident with gator tags (we get two if you draw), you might be able to go on that hunt for a lot less than you’d expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to stack up a cord of whitetail does.
And helicopter hog hunting, Hell yeah I could kick brass out of the AR for days doing that.

WRO

WKR
I'd love to hunt elk in Pennsylvania, whitetail in the southeast, hogs, Gators etc..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Clarence

WKR
I grew up in PA in the pre-Insta, pre-Facepage, pre-Meateater days. There was no Kuiu, Sitka, or First Lite. There was no reason to think hunting from a stump at 04:30 in 15-degree weather was any less inspiring than a 2,000 foot climb in the Rockies. When I was growing up, I looked forward to the opener as much as I now anticipate the kickoff of hunting season in Idaho. It's all relative. And, yes, I still look forward to going back someday; meeting all the guys at the hunting cabin and drinking whiskey, telling stories, and hearing about the monster white tail on the wall that was killed in a bygone era. There was camaraderie - and probably not so much of a pissing match, aside from some ribbing for the shirt-tail that was cut off the year before.

Would I move back for the hunting? No way. Do I look forward to going back for some hunting? Hell, yeah.
You nailed it! Deer and bear camp in Pa have a different meaning. The comrodery and great memories found there are formative if you came up that way.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ridgefire

WKR
I dream of going east to Idaho, Montana or Wyoming every year for elk. Not to interested in going any further east than that for hunting though.

slick

WKR
If you’re from the east you should probably start agreeing how horrible it is before your spot gets ruined with out of staters.

I’d love a real “deep woods” type tree stand hunt with my bow. Maybe a hog or deer traveling through timber. Also thought it’d be neat

Btaylor

WKR
I didnt expect there would be 8 pages worth of folks scared of heat, snakes and bugs. 😂😂 Of course it does take a few days for your gills to work properly so you can breathe down here. But I mean there really is no challenge to finding and killing deer in them laurel thickets over in the virginia's or figuring them out down here in the river bottoms where the topography is the same as your typical walmart parking lot for 10's of thousands of acres. There is a reason most of the hunting shows on TV are filmed in the midwest. While this was all in jest, make no mistake, you can find all the challenge you want in the south and east on public ground.

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn’t mind going on a hunt where I could walk a couple hundred yards sit in a tree stand and shoot a pile of deer once, instead of the hike mile after mile to maybe kill an elk then haul it out on my back that I’m used to.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I didnt expect there would be 8 pages worth of folks scared of heat, snakes and bugs. 😂😂 Of course it does take a few days for your gills to work properly so you can breathe down here. But I mean there really is no challenge to finding and killing deer in them laurel thickets over in the virginia's or figuring them out down here in the river bottoms where the topography is the same as your typical walmart parking lot for 10's of thousands of acres. There is a reason most of the hunting shows on TV are filmed in the midwest. While this was all in jest, make no mistake, you can find all the challenge you want in the south and east on public ground.

I've hauled several bucks and turkeys out of the swamp in my pirogue.