Do western hunters long for eastern hunts

16Bore

WKR
Maybe more satirical than sarcastic.

I don't know if its social media or what, but there is an element of hunting culture that deems all but the most superlative hunting experiences somehow unworthy. Maybe its just dudes and their egos. Social media definitely amplifies it. Either way that attitude really annoys me.

Hunting is hunting, I don't care when/where/what, I'm game. I'll chase squirrels with a .22 and have a blast. It's a hell of a lot better than banging on my keyboard at work. I look at it like, hey, 10's are a blast for flings when you're young when it comes time to settle down no one wants to deal with their shit. Western hunting is a 10. A blast, but the travel and expense and all the bullshit with tags and draws is just a hassle. Eastern hunting may be an 8, but that doesn't make it not fun! That's the kinda fun you want to settle down with for a lifetime.

Pretty much nailed it. No social media style points for eastern selfies. It’s just so easy here. Long range super sniperdom ain’t a thing here either. Thankfully.

And you can’t backpack or sleep in the woods, it’s downhill all the way too.

Phaseolus

WKR
“Try this is January when we’re still hunting and you’re shoveling snow”.

You don’t go skiing in January?

Btaylor

WKR
I am just thankful for elk season because it turns my 5 month bow season at home into a 6 month bow season. If they would just open an archery season for penguins in July there would almost be no off season. By the time turkey season shut down you would just barely have time to get gear washed and ready for the next go round. 😁

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Wow i don't know if it's from TV shows or just misinformation, but not all eastern hunting is sitting in a treestand on your ass all day. I can take you plenty of places in the Virginia and West Virginia mountains (i know foothills compared to the rockies) where you can walk miles while hunting. Cranberry Wilderness in West Virginia, Dolly Sods, Senec BackCountry etc. You very well can pack in on your back and camp out if you want, plenty of adventure etc. Not that i would do that in November on any of the 3 cause you would likely freeze your balls off lol

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not interested in hunting in the east because my desire to hunt there doesn't overcome my disdain for most of the people that I'd have to deal with.

jfs82

WKR
I at least long for lots and lots of deer in my fields and lots of tags to affix to them. But not to travel East to hunt.

Mmcan

WKR
I Cant help but ponder this from my few years of studying and learning in preparation to hunt out west. Any of you guys who live out west have dream hunts that can only be found here in the East or South?

Nope.

rmrwade

FNG
hogs , but I hear they are on their way out here. south from canada to MT and north out of texas.

Trial153

WKR
I'm not interested in hunting in the east because my desire to hunt there doesn't overcome my disdain for most of the people that I'd have to deal with.
That's some pretty narrow minded shit right there

Floridian here - the bucks are small, the mosquitos are the size of birds, you’re going to sweat the second you get outside, but there’s just something about the deafening noise of cicadas and the bright green of the woods in spring that I know I’ll miss if I ever leave.

Also, running dogs for hogs and gator hunting would definitely be missed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

accurat

FNG
I grew up out west and have to live in the east for a bit. Im spoiled and admittedly too full of myself to sit in a treestand with a slug gun. I relish the vastness of my Wyoming homeland. Back east, my 60 power spotting scope, long range rifles and 10x binos seem about as useless as a mud fence. Plus, it seems there are very few places in the east with good, uncrowded access where such tools can be readily employed. Maybe I'm just lazy, maybe I'm just a west snob. Maybe i need to get over myself and seek eastern opportunities to broaden my horizons.

Or maybe I'll just take extra time and care preparing for deer/elk/goat season this fall back home in Wyoming......