Do you 223....too?

Almost exclusively

223 Wylde with BHA 77gr tmk For game

223 75gr steel match hornady for play.

Both right at 1moa 10 shot.

Been a long time since any things ran, and even longer since I've reloaded for 223

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
Another nod for a ruger American ranch. Mine is shot suppressed, vx2 3-9x50 duplex, AR mags, atlas bipod currently, shoots heavies reliably sub moa to 400 so far but what I really love is taking down clay pigeon shrapnel at 200 yards with wolf gold 55 grain plinking ammo. I shoot that rifle 10x more than everything else combined.

For coyote hunting - absolutely!

I had a gunsmith put a 1:7 twist barrel on a .223 Remington 700 three years ago. I’m shooting 77gr SMK’s and it’s a <.5MOA rifle. Love it!

Another Kimber MT .223 here. My calling gun. I use 70 gr Berger bullets and a max load of Varget. Groups well and is a joy to carrry. That is the longest/heaviest bullet that the 1 in 9” twist barrel will stabilize. 75 gr AMAX bullets went 2” or more at 100 m with oval holes.

Hornady 75gr hpbt wont stabilize?

Never had a problem with 1-9 twist 14.5" even at 20 below.

260madman

WKR
Amax is pretty long. Some 9” will stabilize like my savage that is 8 3/4” or faster when measured.

Roy68

WKR
Had 4 Ar’s. I will be ordering a Tikka Stainles lite next month. I’ve been eying the Ruger Ranch as well for an every day truck gun.

ND bowhunter, never tried the 75 gr HornHBT. The Berger 70 gr VLD sure shoot well for a light gun so didn’t want more trial bullets that don’t shoot. The 75 AMAX (discontinued) are great in my two 1-8” guns, a 22-6mm AI and a 22BR. Neither are much fun to use calling though. Too long and heavy.

This thread sold me. Picked up a t3x in 223 to get much more trigger time in this year.

Mine shoots Black Hills or Federal GMM 77gr Sierra MatchKings really well. Be a good place to start if you don’t reload

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to be a downer, but I have never seen a practical use for a .223. Too light to hunt anything I hunt and too expensive for plinker / training ammo. My choice was for a 7.62x39 bolt action, which makes for an excellent low cost plinker that is also very effective on deer and pigs.

I'm sure I'll get "corrected" by those who hunt deer and pigs with their .223, and that's fine. I just refuse to do it after seeing far too many pigs run off after being shot by me with a .223. I won't even consider it for deer and had a buddy lose a doe he shot with his .223 at 75 yards last year and nearly lose another. He now hunts with a 7mm-08.

If I were into shooting prairie dogs or coyotes, then maybe I'd own one, but I'm not. For self defense, there are much better options IMO.

Last edited:

EastMT

WKR
I had a 762x39, it was ok, but reloading 223 I can shot lead SP bullets for about the price of quality 22 ammo.

I really want to try out a 300 Blackout for a plonked for the reasons you list above, some quality low speed expanding bullets should do just fine.

I had a 762x39, it was ok, but reloading 223 I can shot lead SP bullets for about the price of quality 22 ammo.

I really want to try out a 300 Blackout for a plonked for the reasons you list above, some quality low speed expanding bullets should do just fine.

I kinda feel the same way about the 300 BO actually. Too expensive for a plinker, and not enough umph for me at least, for a hunting rifle. I want at least the energy of the 7.62x39 if i'm going to hunt deer and pigs. But it's good that we have choices right! At the moment, my favorite deer/pig rifle is my Howa Grendel!

EastMT

WKR
That Grendel is a nice round. I’ve considered having one built in one of my model 7 actions.

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
Not to be a downer, but I have never seen a practical use for a .223. Too light to hunt anything I hunt and too expensive for plinker / training ammo. My choice was for a 7.62x39 bolt action, which makes for an excellent low cost plinker that is also very effective on deer and pigs.

I'm sure I'll get "corrected" by those who hunt deer and pigs with their .223, and that's fine. I just refuse to do it after seeing far too many pigs run off after being shot by me with a .223. I won't even consider it for deer and had a buddy lose a doe he shot with his .223 at 75 yards last year and nearly lose another. He now hunts with a 7mm-08.

If I were into shooting prairie dogs or coyotes, then maybe I'd own one, but I'm not. For self defense, there are much better options IMO.
Bullets matter far more than headstamps and shot placement is nearly everything.

22-250 is better but when you have to cull 50-70 deer a year, it’s makes short work of it. Proper bullet selection and placement makes a difference

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I but the bullet (.223 actually) and went with a black rain ar. Barely shot it but grew with dad’s old savage .223 that felt like a 2x4 but could hit anything with it. What type of factory ammo do you suggest for a 1-7 twist barrel. I am not shooting long distance but want to be able to plink out to 200 yards. May use it for deer some day with the kids, told the wife that’s why I needed it ;).

Shraggs

WKR
I love my .223's. A Rock River AR in the 556/223 chamber and a Savage bolt. I don't rifle hunt...but do use a rifle for coyotes and such.

This THE most underrated game rifle calibers IMO. You can really put stuff on the ground with the right bullet. We bumped a hog while coyote calling and the 55 gr Vmax blew a 2" hole out the other side of that 180# hog at 200yds- impressive. Those same rounds just drop yotes on the spot.

On bigger animals like hogs I would bet those 75gr Vmax just pummel them.

Must have same rifle and use as you. RRA coyote rifle in 20”. 55 gr vmax and vortex 55 gr tsx shoot .25 groups in stock gun. Did put JP springs on trigger.

Deadly on vermin! And capable on smaller deer sized game to reasonable ranges.