Do you anticipate a run in with the local rancher?

kvw4x4

Lil-Rokslider
Never had negative run ins with ranchers before, But i have ran into a couple ranchers while hunting, we pin pointed where some of their cattle were we spotted them a couple days earlier, we swapped contact info, just imagine the amount of "scouting" a rancher will do while checking his cattle, throughout the summer leading up to elk season, I reached out the following year and had a friendly chat and learned alot about the elk heading into the next season, was even offered a spot to camp or keep stuff frozen if needed, We have alot control on how run ins will go. Be the better man.

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
Would love to say I’ve never had a run in with a rancher but the place adjacent to the BLM we typically hunt opening day goes out of his way to be a jerk including sending ranch hands up into the BLm to keep moving & talking loudly to push animals down. I had a very frank discussion with one of those hands - he shut up & moved on. I think letting him know the group on the next ridge were sheriffs may have had something to do with the behavior change.

Thia guy Refuses anyone trailing a wounded elk to enter his property when you call from the line - will tag it himself instead. Calls the game warden if you are within 50 yards of his unmarked property line. Most folks are polite & helpful but some are the opposite. Polite hunters who clean up the woods & don’t trespass help the situation- those who don’t hurt all of us. The majority of ranchers are pleasant but too many jerks ruins things for everyone.

I like running into them, amazing what kind of cut through permission or even pack out you can get for being nice or some cash or offering to help fix. Especially once you show them the extra effort you went through to go-around them.

I got whole ranch permission once for walking up and helping him get a calf out of fence.

Last edited: