Do you believe in ghosts

Dackdack

FNG
I’ve had a few weird things happen in a house I rented years ago. The owner died while building it. It had a loft with 2 bedrooms . No plumbing upstairs , just two basic bedrooms. Our bedroom was downstairs . Every single night I would hear footsteps . More so if I was home alone but I’d hear them every night unless we had a guest sleeping up there and in that case it was dead quiet. My girlfriend used to watch movies on her computer every night and she would shut the lid at bedtime which normally would shut the computer off until it was opened the next day. Out of nowhere the laptop would fire up and blare the movie she was watching right at 3am. Like full volume, laptop closed and light coming from out of the sides of the closed laptop from the screen coming on. Kind of weird but it only happened once in awhile but always at 3am. We were moving and the last weird thing to happen was I was awaken one night to the fire alarm going off in the kitchen. I jumped up and ran to open the bedroom door and the exact second I touched the door handle the alarm stopped. I went to the kitchen and it was spotless. Nothing on, no dishes out, no smoke, nothing. Looked at the stove clock and it was exactly 3am again.

kpk

WKR
I didn't until about a year ago. My wife absolutely positively does. She worked at a hospice house for a couple years while finishing nursing school. She's easy going and very grounded - but she's got crazy stories from that place. Like OP it was the daughter that got me.

When my daughter was about a year old I picked her up from daycare. There were several times when I came in the house and ALL of her electronic toys were going off. Not 1 or 2 in the same bin. ALL of them in different rooms. Obviously, no one had been in the house all day - and those toys time out after a couple minutes.

She's just over 2 now but a few months ago was pretty unsettling. A coworker of my wife gave us an old children's rocking chair. The really old school wooden ones. It's in the basement which is basically "her area". One day she starts FREAKING out. Like running away, screaming, crying, terrified - which is NOT like her at all. I get her calmed down and bring her back in asking what's wrong. She starts going on about a monkey sitting in her chair. (She speaks well and knows what's what and isn't really scared of anything). She's pointing and screaming at the monkey sitting right there in her chair. This was almost daily for probably 2 weeks. I told a coworker about it. He suggested when she starts up - take a picture of the chair. So, next time it happened I did. She started screaming at the monkey to get out of her chair - I immediately took a picture and showed it to her. She was legitimately puzzled as to why the monkey wasn't in the picture but was still sitting in the chair. It stopped about a week after that.

I had a sister that died of SIDS. My wife's coworker (that gave us the rocking chair) had a young child that passed away (don't know how, but it was a long time ago). My wife didn't even tell me that detail until after the monkey seemingly left.

I'm very open to the possibility now.

Last edited:

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
About 4 years.

So what changed? New furnitue moved in? Photo album? Something recently changed. Whether you believe in ghosts or chalk it up to an electromagnetic disturbance in the radio waves..... there is something goong on and wasnt happening before. Id have to say i know that there are things about this universe that we dont know.... left over energy of the departed could certainly be one of them. With it being centered around your daughter... id be solving the problem somehow

OP
Ratbeetle

Ratbeetle

WKR
I do not. There are all kinds of reported ghost sightings and interactions. Why in all that have died would not one of these produce some definitive, public display of life after death? I believe that people believe in ghosts and believe they have seen/experienced one. We choose the outcome we prefer. Notice some people have a bunch of stories and some have none. Sure some have one, but it seems those that have a ghost story have more than one. Also, many involve kids. Kids have imaginations, imaginary friends and all that stuff they use to stretch their young brains. I have had weird things happen. I can choose to believe it was supernatural or I can choose to contribute it to just something weird that happened, or my mind thought happened. Our brains and nervous systems are complex and we experience some weird things because of it.
I've always been skeptical but the last month or so has changed my perspective a bit.

OP
Ratbeetle

Ratbeetle

WKR
So what changed? New furnitue moved in? Photo album? Something recently changed. Whether you believe in ghosts or chalk it up to an electromagnetic disturbance in the radio waves..... there is something goong on and wasnt happening before. Id have to say i know that there are things about this universe that we dont know.... left over energy of the departed could certainly be one of them. With it being centered around your daughter... id be solving the problem somehow
I honestly can't think of anything different.

Squincher

WKR
I only believe in the ghosts of christmas past, present and future. I know they're real because I saw an old documentary about them a few weeks ago.

CorbLand

WKR
I saw some interesting things in my late teens, early twenties. It was weird, generally only happened on weekends and involved alcohol and...other things.

I don’t believe they exist but won’t argue they don’t. Most of the people I know personally that claim they do and to have seen them are generally a little out there on beliefs in general.

So, on January 22, 2021, CorbLand is making it official. I do not believe in ghosts or Bigfoot. So if I ever come back saying I saw one, I am telling the truth.

bdg848

WKR
I only started on the first page of this thread right before bed and I should have waited until the morning lol. My mom has told me several experiences her family had when they moved into a previously abandoned house that still freak me out. Like, legit "ghost" sightings. One of my best friends served as a missionary in mexico and has also had some freaky experiences with demonic type activity.I am a Christian so I obviously believe in a realm outside of our physical dimension but I do not believe in "ghosts" per se, as in a person's soul hangs around after they die. A person's soul does not get left behind on earth accidentally or intentionally, there is no avoiding Heaven or hell, Your soul goes to one or the other.... but other spirits, spiritual forces, etc. not fully made known to man in this life? YES.

Recently moved into a creepy house that we're remodeling.

Reading through this right before bed was a bad idea..

I just wish I came up with the stupid ghost hunting/bigfoot finding shows so I could make a living bullshitting and yelling in the dark.

Wapiti1

WKR
My folks have had a ghost for a long time. Originally we had a trailer on their property and built the house in 1984. The ghost wasn't in the trailer, and showed up in the house. It likes to watch TV late at night, opens cupboard doors, and rearranges stuff occasionally. I remember the TV coming on at 3-4 in the morning and everyone was asleep. That was before we even had a remote control TV, so radio frequency stuff isn't likely.

The weirdest was when I walked into the basement to watch TV and the cat was lounging on the couch down there. Usually she would hop up to greet you, wait for you to sit and then lay on you. She was a rare people loving cat. This time, she lay there purring with her head propped up like it was on someone's leg. Her head just hung in the air, and up and down her side you could see the fur being pushed down like someone was petting her. I had popcorn, which she loved, but elicited no response. So, I turned on the tube and sat down in the recliner. After about 5 minutes, the cat lifted her head, watched the ghost leave, then came over to my lap. Maybe she was having a seizure of some sort, maybe it was a ghost, I have no idea. That cat lived to be 23, and was probably 10 at the time.

My dad and I had one really weird experience hunting. We had just shut the Jeep down, and were making our way to a series of open meadows on a ridge top hunting mule deer. It was just getting to shooting light as we approached the first of the meadows. We skirted the edge of it, and about half way across my dad says "Shit, we got aced by a hunter". I look over and sure enough there is a fellow standing on the far edge of the meadow, but no orange. He had a grey coat, and stocking cap on. We didn't see a rifle, either. This was before we regularly carried binocs since we didn't have good ones. This fellow looks at us, it's probably 300 yards to him, and waves his arm like "come over". So, there is one road up to this ridge, and the old motorcycle trail off the other end is a good 4 miles to the trailhead.

We figured it best to see what he wanted and started across. The man saw we were coming and stepped into the timber. Once we got there, no sign of a him anywhere. We followed where he went, but nothing until my dad stops and slowly unslings his rifle. I slide up to his side and there are 20 deer milling around in front of us. I shot the herd buck, and about 5 minutes into field dressing another decent buck chases a doe, who darn near ran into my dad, right past us. My dad shot that buck as he stood staring at us unsure what to do next.

It was Thanksgiving week and there was about 18" of snow on the ridge with a 6" fresh overnight layer. When we got to where the man was, there were no tracks in the snow. I walked the whole edge just to see. Nothing.

Jeremy

Finch

WKR
I'm kinda jealous of you all as weird as that sounds. I've never experienced any ghostly activity. While growing up at my parents house, we lived near a cemetery and I'd visit late at night to try and see spooky stuff. Never did.

My girlfriend and I were renting a house several years ago where we, but mostly she had a number of weird experiences.

I would work out of town most of the week, leaving her and the dog alone at the house. Shortly after we moved in, she would call me and tell me that the inner door to the garage was opening while locked. I tried to rationalize it.

One night, I was up stairs and she was getting ready for bed downstairs where we slept. I heard her scream and ran down there. She was in bed, under the comforter looking terrified and told me that someone whispered her name in her ear in the bathroom. She felt the breathe.

Another night, in bed we both heard the distinct sound of someone running up the wooden stairs outside on the deck. I grabbed a hammer and intended to meet them at the door. Nothing there...

One morning I sat down to have coffee on the couch. I'm sitting there, everything is quiet, no one else awake or around. The stereo pops on playing Led Zeppelin's When the Levee Breaks. I figured I sat on the remote, then I saw that the remote was on the coffee table. Check the couch anyway, nothing. Also weird was that the song didn't start at the beginning, it was somewhere in the middle.

We come home from downtown one night. No one is there except the dog. We're on the landing when the stereo kicks on. Led Zeppelin When the Levee Breaks, midsong...

whaack

WKR
Ghosts? Not sure depends on how you define ghosts.

Spirits? Bet your butt I do. Spirit realm is full of heavenly hosts battling for snd against us.

One night 14 years ago I encountered one of theses spirits (demon) and it changed the way I view EVERYTHING when it comes to my faith. Makes the hair stand up on my arms even as I type this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TacoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Personally never had any experiences but know enough people who have had them as an adult to believe.

Nope. I believe people label all sorts of unknowns as ghosts. Not saying "there absolutely are no ghosts", but that I'm not convinced they exist.

It's not surprising to me that ghosts never seem to know more about themselves or your other dead relatives than the viewer already knows. :)

jmazz

Lil-Rokslider
Ghosts? Not sure depends on how you define ghosts.

Spirits? Bet your butt I do. Spirit realm is full of heavenly hosts battling for snd against us.

One night 14 years ago I encountered one of theses spirits (demon) and it changed the way I view EVERYTHING when it comes to my faith. Makes the hair stand up on my arms even as I type this.

Interested in this story