Do you bring a backup rifle?

Elk rifles, or more specifically cartridges that are using an appropriate bullet weight or style (mono can be lighter, traditional should be heavier) when hunting elk, span a larger range than what many hunters may give them credit for.

I carry a 35 Whelen Ackley Improved, it gets the job done as a dozen elk and a small handful of mule deer would testify. My 25-year-old son carries a 270 Win and my 27-year-old son uses a 30-06. Would never feel under armed with either of those and the handloads with the bullets we've chosen. I've watched both of those cartridges cleanly do the job on elk, mule deer and pronghorn.

Pick a reasonable caliber and choose the correct bullet and many rifles in my opinion become a good backup when faced with not having one at all, lol.

We always have extra guns with on our elk trips, bc we hunt antelope on the way home. Never had to come down and get a spare, but I used my dad’s gun one year after my rifle got thrown off a horse. That gun ended up being over 2 feet high, so I would’ve missed my bull had I tried using it.

Even if we didn’t do the antelope trip, I’d still throw in an extra gun just in case. (Maybe I’m lucky but where we hunt theft is not an issue).

Are you talking out of state hunts or are you talking localish hunts? If I am hunting out of state I always have a back up, usually something cheap that I can leave in the truck and if stolen isnt a big deal. If I am localish, no. I can have my wife meet me somewhere with another rifle if necessary.

Jimss

WKR
I've been on a gob of out of state hunts over the years and only brought 1 rifle (including Alaska). I bring plenty of shells in case something happens in transit. Most hunters have a buddy along that also has a rifle to use as a backup.

crich

WKR
As someone who's had a rifle and suppressor stolen from a vehicle Im now very leery about what I leave in my truck. No way Im going into the mountains for 10 days and hoping no one smashes out my window and steals my rifle. A backup scope hidden somewhere is probably a more realistic option as thats the weak point likely to fail... if you're with other people with rifles then theres the redundancy incase someones rig goes down.

Maki35

WKR
Is it a mistake to head into hunting season owning just one big game rifle? Do you think it’s important to have a second big game caliber rifle as a backup in case of an issue with either your primary rifle or primary optic?

I don't think it's a mistake.
It's a personal preference. I know hunters that bring a backup and others that don't.
You could go through life with the one rifle and not have an issue. (But then there's always murphy's law.)
My dad owned 1 hunting rifle and that was all he ever used for big game (I inherited the rifle.) He never had an issue or a backup.
On the other hand, I bring a backup on my travel hunts. So do my hunting buddies. But don't if I'm hunting close to home.

Last edited:

MrSunday

Lil-Rokslider
I'm too concerned with theft of a spare rifle while away from the truck hunting. I do bring a backup to PRS matches though.

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
I have brought a backup rifle with me, on occasion in the past, but the last few years, have decided it to be unnecessary.

DWhite213

FNG
If it’s local or within a couple hours drive I will just take the one. Anything over 4 hours away is getting the backup brought with me. It would suck to drive 24 hours to Colorado to have minor issue on your gun prevent you from hunting or take time to go get repaired during a five day hunt.

natedock1

FNG
I always have 2 rifles for hunting whitetail in TWO DIFFERENT capable calibers. This past year ran into issues finding available ammo for one of the guns....i had ammo (8 roundsi think) but not enough were i was comfortable if i lost some rounds or had to shoot multiple shots at a deer because of a poor shot or had to track or whatever scenario you want to work up... One year i dented the scope bell some how and the gun was no longer zeroed. How fun would it be if you lost a magazine also? Anything can happen...always be prepared so your time and hunt are not wasted. plus i like one gun for some thick deep woods hunting and another for longer shots over an open field. having more guns doesnt sound like a bad problem :)

We usually have a "communal" backup rifle when hunting as a group - but it's typically nothing to get too excited about. Winchester 94 or an old Remington .308. They would get the job done if you had nothing else though

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm bringing my .308 as a backup rifle on a Newfoundland Moose hunt this year. It will serve as backup for myself and my buddy. Too big of a hunt to not bring a backup in my mind.

I always pack two because I hunt a long ways from home and reload. I went on a deer hunt once with some people who’s rifles weren’t very good and they both ended up using mine to shoot their deer!

JLW66

FNG
I take two bows when i go archery hunting. i had a limb crack in Colorado and ended my hunt. I take two rifles when i go because I'm usually solo. Great ideas here, the back up rifle, nothing special, popular caliber doesn't need to be high dollar. I usually take the bolt out of mine when storing in the truck and keep them separate. If someone's going to the effort to steal it, maybe they will have to work to get the whole thing, maybe not. I haven't taken a suppressor with me out of state, I would not leave that anywhere I wasn't. If that makes sense. Knock on wood, i haven't had an issue. Good luck out there.