Do you bring a backup rifle?

Is it a mistake to head into hunting season owning just one big game rifle? Do you think it’s important to have a second big game caliber rifle as a backup in case of an issue with either your primary rifle or primary optic?

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
I certainly own a number of rifles that are set up, dialed-in, loads developed, and ready to hunt. Sometimes I have a hard time deciding which one to take out on a given hunt. Its like choosing between my children. :)

On rifle hunting trips, I usually bring a second rig just to be safe.

I rarely bring a backup.

If hunting solo, I’m afraid someone will steal it out of my camp or vehicle.

If hunting with a group, I can always borrow one of their’s if needed. If someone is watching camp 24/7 then I’ll sometimes bring a spare.

If I’m flying, then I do not bring a spare.

I had to use my backup rifle this year on my deer hunt. My 300 had a Vortex (I know, I know) HST on it but it crapped out on me when I was confirming zero the night before the hunt.

DCT1983

Lil-Rokslider
When we go out west (my dad and I) we always being a back up gun. Not both of us but one that we both like.

Trr15

WKR
When I travel to hunt, I always bring two rifles. Have never had the need to have two, but will always bring a second one just in case.

EastMT

WKR
I only take one, I’m not carrying 2 and don’t feel safe leaving one in the truck or at camp. I guess it would depend on you sleeping situation or storage if you are staying in a motel maybe…..

On our sheep and goat, other fly in hunts, we shot each other’s guns prior to season, if one went down we could share.

Sandstrom

WKR
I always bring a spare gun. So far I have never needed the rifle. Last year on a pheasant hunt in SD, the recoil pad fell off my beretta somewhere in the field never to be seen again! Not the end of the world, but my shoulder liked the spare gun more:)
Ryan

Our group (3-4 hunters) always brings one just in case somebody's has an issue but we're able to keep it in a secure place. It just means someone has a 4 hour round trip hike to get it.

I've had years where I've brought a back up and years where I haven't. Knock on wood, haven't needed one in 29 yrs.

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re going on a once in a lifetime bucket list hunt, I’d definitely take one. I’ve got one of those trips coming up in a year, and I’ll have a backup gun with a backup scope.

If you’re going on a once in a lifetime bucket list hunt, I’d definitely take one. I’ve got one of those trips coming up in a year, and I’ll have a backup gun with a backup scope.
Good point, the hunt itself and the conditions it is going to be done under such as above are great ways to gauge what you bring on the trip for armament.

Mosby

WKR
When I went whitetail hunting in Canada and had a safe place to store the back up rifle yes. When I go out west and leaving my truck and base camp for days at a time....no. As stated above, greater chance of a stolen rifle than needing a back up.

I bring two rifles deer hunting if I’m not coming home at night. This year was the first in 13 years that I used it (though I probably didn’t need to, it was just a precaution). It’s easier with deer because the amount of appropriate calibers is larger.

For elk, I guess I have something that could be used as a backup, but it would either really limit my range (smaller caliber) or really limit mobility (heavier).

I’m also trying to make an effort now to buy less stuff (Rokslide doesn’t help lol) so I don’t see myself spending $1,000-2,000 for a backup that might never be needed.