Do you bring a Sat phone/SPOT etc?

LitenFast

WKR
Just thinking about my first backpack hunt in Sept in CO, how many of you carry something like a sat phone, DeLorme inReach, SPOT, ACR etc? Looks like we could rent a sat phone pretty cheap in Gunnison.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I carry a SPOT2 and really like it. It lets my wife know everything is OK, and help is a button's push away.

I am really interested in the newer, smaller DeLorme InReach, but frankly I don't know about the 2 way communication. I hate to admit it, but sometimes I kind of like the comm going one way...

littlebuf

Banned
I had the spot. sold it,dont really like paying for subscriptions. but that's just me. I have my phone with me and try to send out a text from somewhere every day to my wife. most of the time you can find a spot with service somewhere on the hill.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
Still using Spot gen 1. It has worked well. Fortunately, I have never had to use the 911 button but it is nice to know it's there if needed. I just check in every couple of days when hunting solo.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have the 9555 Sat phone and have been happy with it, but it will cost you for sure.

They can be a PITA too, especially if you're in a timbered area or valley.

Rocky

WKR
I carry my gps and my phone. If I were going solo i think I would take a sat phone or an acr beacon just in case.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As much as I'm in the field (Solo especially), that's how I justified it.

I also need it for business too and that allows me to write it off for taxes:)

kaboku68

WKR
Sat phone for me. Rentals aren't bad. Tried Spot. Sat phone is worth it for calling the Air Charter.

Sincerely,
Thomas

I carry a SPOT2 and really like it. It lets my wife know everything is OK, and help is a button's push away.

I am really interested in the newer, smaller DeLorme InReach, but frankly I don't know about the 2 way communication. I hate to admit it, but sometimes I kind of like the comm going one way...

Where did you see that they are improving the InReach?

shaun

WKR
I also need it for business too and that allows me to write it off for taxes:)[/QUOTE said:
I am curious because we do a lot of work at hydro plants that are well out of cell range if I can swing the same thing!

blb078

WKR
I'll more than likely be getting a spot II but I like the idea of texting back/forth w/the In Reach. Would really like a sat phone but the prices are pretty high so maybe next year or two since I've spent so much this year.

shaun

WKR
Perfect! Now it doesn't seem so bad I've been wanting to pull trigger for awhile now on one now I think I will have to

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider
ACR Beacon for me. Not so concerned for me, but it gives the supportive wife peace of mind, and would be selfish of me not to take precautions so I can be there for the kids.

I do prefer the one way communication. One of the main benefits of hunting wilderness to me is to disconnect from the business of life and work. I also am not a fan of creating a scenario with pressure to "check in" by a certain time, or having the very tool that is to create peace of mind at home actually create anxiety because I miss a check in or the message fails to send.

jmez

WKR
I use a spot. and to be honest, its retarded to go into the back country without at least a spot. I mean its $100 and $100 for a subscription that will save your life its a no brainer.

I agree. I was hurt badly deer hunting close to home. Had I been in the back country on the side of a mountain somewhere with no communication I may not be here typing on this forum today. No one should ever go out there without something.