Do you carry a backup release?

Yes ever since I lost one on the way back to camp. Buddy had one I could use till we made a grocery run and found an archery shop in town that I could buy a new one. That was on an elk hunt some 25yrs ago.

Yes
Something I hadn't really thought about untill today. Do you carry a backup release in your pack or keep one in the truck? Just in case you loose it or it breaks or whatever might happen.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Yes. The only time ive needed it was another hunter lost his while taking a #2. He was in panick mode when i happened along.

Travis907

WKR
Yep definitely always carry an extra in my backpack. It’s one extra piece of equipment you should always carry for that just in case moment you hope you never have!

Mine lives in my stuff sack which houses my non trauma first aid kit. I basically tote it around year round. But I can’t take the risk because once I forgot one on a trip and had to borrow my buddy’s spare. Still hearing about it years later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread did just make me think about attaching a smart tag to the loop for the wrist strap on my hand release. I'd much rather be able to find my original release than have a backup.

It would've also helped a few years ago when I accidentally drove away and had my quiver sitting next to my car....that was a really easy way to lose a few hundred dollars worth of equipment.

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
Now I gotta figure out how to attach and air tag to my release and it not get in the way.

But really, after reading all these stories, I think I'm going to add a second spare, an old release that I don't use that still works well just in case I run across someone who has lost theirs!

Yep. One in my pack. And it’s saved me a couple times after I left mine at the tent in the morning (even though I double/triple check and place my release on my boots…..)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now I gotta figure out how to attach and air tag to my release and it not get in the way.

But really, after reading all these stories, I think I'm going to add a second spare, an old release that I don't use that still works well just in case I run across someone who has lost theirs!
Yeah the samsung tags that I use have a little loop hole which would work perfectly.

Otherwise, if you have an extra cheap release laying around that sounds like the way to go!

I currently only have a Carter Chocolate, Evolution Too, and Truball Fulkrum Flex...and, given their price points, I hate the thought of me losing any one of those.

KnuckleChild

Lil-Rokslider
Always. My first elk hunt the screw holding the release portion to the strap/base of the release on my little goose backed out while hunting stopped for a break to notice release was long gone. If a spare wasn’t in my pack it would’ve been 7 miles back to the truck.
There’s always a spare in my whitetail bag just in case I get in the tree before I notice I forgot to grab my release. It hasn’t happened since I started carrying a spare, of course, but once is enough.

Nevada Mike

FNG
Classified Approved
I have a practice release and a hunting release. Same brand and tuned identically. The practice release becomes my back up when hunting and after the hunt the the hunting release gets cleaned disinfected and back into the zip lock with a handful of pine needles. All my back up gear and repair equipment is in camp with me, the truck is usually too far away.

Lostguy29

FNG
I always have one in my pack hunting a lot of public land good walks in don’t want to come out because something happened to my release

MattB

WKR
I had my release gunk up tonight during a 3-D shoot when I inadvertently touched it to the ground and picked up some tiny pebbles onto the magnet so the release would not reset. I was able to use a stalk of grass to push some of it out so I could finish, but a back-up would have been more handy.