Do you carry a backup release?

An extra lives in my pack during the season.

The never take it off mentality works until that mountain house starts knocking at the hot gates...

shtrbc

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. Always have a spare in my pack. Had one gum up from sand/clay dust after a low crawl stalk and have always had a spare along since them. I now use a small wind meter pouch on the side of my bino harness to carry it. I'm less likely to simply be fiddling with it and I can glance down and see the thumb peg. It's fully covered by the flap of the pouch and so far has been super secure.

staehlej

FNG
Backup release in your pack at all times. Let me give you my story...

2 years ago in NM, I took a 1-hour ATV drive to our pack-in spot. My pack was strapped to the front. We arrive at our spot before the walk-in. Hop off the ATV and realize the pocket on my pack where the release was located was left open. Release gone. Thought I was dead in the water. Just happened that my buddy had an extra one on him. Otherwise, I was screwed. I won't leave camp without a backup from now on.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Another one in my pack.
Never know when I’ll set it down and forget it or drop it out of the stand.

Always have an extra in my pack. Probably three more old ones in my bow box. I have actually given two away to other hunters who lost theirs in the last 7 years. One was my hunting buddy, lost it walking though heavy brush one night trying to get to the trail and another was a young man I met on a trail sitting on a log looking absolutely miserable. I asked him if he was okay and if he was lost. He had taken a dump in the woods, took his release off and wandered off. Ran into a blue grouse about an hour later and realized he had left it behind. Couldn't find his way back to his deposit location. I have him my spare, gave him my name an address to mail it back to me but I never saw it again.

The new Scott Recon is the closest to what I had. Those are like $95.00 now

Last edited:

Plowboy85

Lil-Rokslider
I keep my primary in my bow case and the backup in my lumbar pack or in my supplies tote that stays in my truck. If it’s an out of town trip I take back up bows and releases lol

nphunter

WKR
Yes, I carry a spare in my pack just in case, I didn't carry a spare when I use to use a wrist strap but do with my hand held.