Do you carry a spare key?

Mark

WKR
Do you carry a spare key in your vehicle when you hunt? I always have two sets of keys or electronic key fobs on every hunt. One is always left where it's accessible at the vehicle, the other is in my pack or on my person. I also have a rule to never take my vehicle key on the water, whether I'm on a boat or in a float tube. Friday I broke both of those rules.

My son killed his antelope Thursday and we had a few days to burn so we decided to go fishing in our float tubes on Friday. We drove a bit over an hour to a very secluded lake. We were alone for the most part from 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM. Two people came to the lake that day, fished from the shore for an hour or so then left by 2:30 PM.

At about 4:45 PM we drained the air out of the float tubes and loaded everything up. I went to get my key from "the spot" and it wasn't where it should be. Looked in the other spot - no key. Panic sets in as I realize what happened. When we arrived at the lake it was 55 degrees. I had a sweatshirt on. Actually a hoodie, with a pocket in front. I took it off around 11:30 that morning and placed it between my legs and my stripping basket to keep it dry (my tube chair is above waterline). At some point a sleeve must have dipped into the water, soaked into the hoodie and pulled it into the lake without me noticing. I never thought about the key being in the front pocket. I was just a bit disappointed because I really liked that hoodie!

My mind is reeling now because I realize I didn't have my spare key. It was locked in the trailer at camp inside my back pack which is 20 miles away. We unloaded our packs before we left to go fishing and that spare key never crossed my mind. We're 8 miles from the last camp we passed and a good 10 miles from the closest ranch. It's looking like it's going to be a long night but not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

About 10 minutes from the moment I realized what had happened, a truck pulls up. I flag him down and explain my situation. He told me he was here to fish for the weekend. I told him I would pay him for the 3 hour drive out and back to get my key. He declined the payment and agreed to drive me out. He was a hunter as well, and we traded stories that ranged from hunting to having both moved our elderly parents from CA to NV last year so we could keep an eye on them. We talked about our kids, and we talked a lot about that spare key. Turns out he lost his somewhere when he checked on it last year and had yet to replace it. He made it a point to tell me that he would be getting a replacement.

I can't believe my luck that day. I hope I have the opportunity to help someone out of the back country or whatever predicament they may be in if or when we cross paths. My only inconvenience that evening was getting back to camp and having dinner at 10:00 instead of 7:00. The kindness of the gentleman that drove me out will never be forgotten. The man proved that good people still exist that are willing to help another out of a situation. While it wasn't life or death, it was certainly not going to be a fun couple of days.

I'll be picking up a couple more key fobs next week. I'm told they're costly. To me, they're priceless...

just bought a f150 that had no outside keypad, like previous truck. Bought a magnet box large enough to hold a fob and house key and it is on top of the hitch for an emergency. Because I often take my dog with, leaving her in truck to run errands with ac running for her comfort. Decided to have a non chip key made to place in wallet for this very use. Parts guy, after making key , warned me to never ever never place that key in the ignition. Was thinking of trying it with chip pad in pocket it should pick up signal and work. He proceeded to tell me it will put the truck in theft mode and truck has to be taken back to dealer to get it repaired.
found out later an outside keypad is available and now have that installed.Am anal about being locked out and want multiple options for that

Finch

WKR
OP - Pretty cool of that guy to help you out. It's nice to hear we still have decent ppl in this world. I have an '06 Tacoma and the dealer gave me a plastic spare key that I keep in my wallet. It has saved my butt a few times.

Bought a magnet box large enough to hold a fob and house key and it is on top of the hitch for an emergency.

I wouldn't trust that magnet box to still be there when you need it. They seem to be prone to falling off. I have a friend that has one of these if you don't ever tow much.

Amazon.com: HitchSafe HS7000 Key Vault: Automotive

muddydogs

WKR
You guys do realize that the drivers door probably has an old style lock tumbler in it? I leave a key fob in my truck, carry one on me and stash a cheap door key on the truck. No need to have an expensive key fob bouncing around under your truck. Heck have a few door keys made and stash one in your pack, tackle box or tube. When hunting with a group I give them cheap door keys so they can access the cab and get the key fob to start the pickup if needed.

OP
Mark

Mark

WKR
You guys do realize that the drivers door probably has an old style lock tumbler in it? I leave a key fob in my truck, carry one on me and stash a cheap door key on the truck. No need to have an expensive key fob bouncing around under your truck. Heck have a few door keys made and stash one in your pack, tackle box or tube. When hunting with a group I give them cheap door keys so they can access the cab and get the key fob to start the pickup if needed.

That's my plan. Stash the emergency key where it's accessible and have the fob locked inside and hidden. The fob that I was using was the emergency fob because I left the other in my pack and was too absent minded to grab it when I had the chance that morning.

amp713

WKR
I have one in my pant pocket at all times when hunting or fishing.... but instead of a magnet just wire tie it in place on the hitch it bumper. Magnets can get sprayed splashed or bounced off. Usually some mechanics wire isnt going anywhere...

wapitibob

WKR
I just dbl checked all my keys today. I carry a spare for everything that uses one, in the glove box and a spare truck key on a carabiner hooked on a fuel line under the truck.

Mosby

WKR
I always bring two sets of keys. If I am hunting with someone, I give them a set and I keep a set. Alone, I keep one on me and the extra in my backpack. I would never go hunting with a single set of keys.

Rokwiia

WKR
I don't trust leaving a key in a magnetic box. Crooks are smarter than you think and know people probably do that.

I always carry two keys. One in a zippered pouch fastened to the inside of the top lid of my backpack (thanks SO). The second one is in the Hill People Gear chest pack I always wear. It is connected by two carabiners to the chest pack with no chance of falling out.

Incidentally, the chest pack is where I carry my handgun and it can be "docked" to the SO backpack so the weight is transferred to the backpack.

muddydogs

WKR
I have one in my pant pocket at all times when hunting or fishing.... but instead of a magnet just wire tie it in place on the hitch it bumper. Magnets can get sprayed splashed or bounced off. Usually some mechanics wire isnt going anywhere...

Its good to check your wired up keys every once in a while. Reminds me of a time myself and another guy were coming off the mountain in two pickups and I remember hearing a funny noise under the old pickup. An hour of so later when we stopped my buddy produced a key that he had spotted in the road, guess the sun was hitting the key just right making it shine. Much to my surprise it was my key, guess the bailing wire must have given up the fight.

KJH

WKR
I learned a hard lesson about 25 years ago... Now I have a spare key attached to the underside of all my vehicles. I use a piece of copper wire to make sure I have access to the vehicle regardless of the situation. I haven't needed it since I started doing that but its nice to know its still there. I occasionally check on it when I think of it or before I head out on a long trip.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If solo yeah I'll have 2 keys on me (or 1 stashed somewhere). Most hunts I'm with my partner and each of us ends up with a truck key on their person (regardless of who's driving) so that either person could go fetch the truck in a given situation.

I carry two sets but with my keypad entry I leave both in my truck hidden. I know if someone breaks in and they find it my truck will be gone...I try and hide it well. I think there are better odds of me than losing it on a trail somewhere than someone breaking in and stealing my truck. Perhaps I am too trusting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have carried a spare vehicle key in my front pocket for 17 years. It never leaves my front pocket. The first time I locked my keys in my truck was the last time it ever happened.

I keep a spare stashed on the truck, but it is not a chip key, so the vehicle can't be started with it. The chip key is secured in a place someone would have to disassemble part of the truck to find it. I also, um, "know a guy", that keeps a slim jim type of tool in the vehicle to help others at the trailhead. "that guy" has used the slim jim about 5 times a year, and the spare key only once.

I have a spare key that I have in a magnetic box that I hide under the truck (attached to the frame). It is not a "chip" key, but can open the unlock the doors. I have a "chip" key hidden inside the truck.

4ester

WKR
I use my keyless entry pad and leave one key/fob locked in the truck. With that said i worry that someday that i will return to my truck and the battery will be dead, keyless wont work, and no way to pop the hood to jump it without breaking a window.

nrh6.7

WKR
This cracked me up.

...I was just a bit disappointed because I really liked that hoodie!

My truck has a keypad and I often leave the truck running and just lock it from there. One day went to the bank, locked the truck, got cash out of the ATM then promptly had a brain fart and forgot the code. Felt like a total idiot standing there for 20 minutes trying every set of numbers I knew. Finally had to have my BIL come get me and take me back to the house for my spare. Of course I left my cell phone in the truck, so had to walk a ways to find a phone. Truck ran for over 1.5 hours. Changed my code to a number I'll never forget!!!

I don't carry a spare key. I have 3 keys hidden on my truck. Learned the hard way once bringing keys with me into the back country. Didn't see that set until the summer after. I have a 91 Toyota and really not too worried about someone messing with it so I usually leave my doors unlocked while out in the woods.

jmez

WKR
I never take mine out of the pickup. Around here I just leave them in the ignition and never lock my truck. When hunting I leave them inside and use the doorpad.