Do you come on here for "advice"?

No, not advice. But, sometimes there's location information that can be gleaned from the pages of this site.

From a humor standpoint, it's hillarious to read all the posts whereas personalities on this sight try desperately to demonstrate that they own and use every piece of the "latest-and-greatest" high dollar gear.

It's almost a who's who of the most money spent on the so-called "best" gear (lol). Pretty ridiculous.

Advice, General Knowledge, Laughter. I have gained great knowledge, insight and overall enjoy the conversation.

Each participating member here over time tends to provide great insight on their level of "contribution to the site". Sort of fall into an unspecified general category. Some positive, some negative, some whiners, some absolute Trolls. Does not take long to differentiate who belongs in what category.

There are a couple of old sayings that certainly always apply here and really in any Social Media/ Forum.
Always "Consider the source",
And " Garbage in, garbage out".

DooleyVT

Lil-Rokslider
I started looking for advice on here a few years back because I wanted to do a western mule deer hunt and being from the Northeast I knew absolutely nothing about mule deer or even how to find them. I didn't know anyone who had ever hunted for muleys, I never had to "apply" for a tag before, I was used to sitting in a tree stand, my feet always hurt, I had never owned a pair of hunting binoculars in my life and I could walk to my hunting spot from my house. Now I've got 40,000 extra miles on my truck, I own 18X alpha glass and a pair of Crispi boots, I have a 5x5 archery mule deer over my fireplace, and I'm always thinking of the next adventure. I've learned that you guys have expensive taste but you also get what you pay for most of the time. Hopefully someday I'll be able to give some advice on here instead of always taking it.

grfox92

WKR
I came here to learn and still do. The search function is my friend. If my intention wasn't to learn, or get advice, I honestly have no idea why I would be on here.

With that being said it's very confusing for me to see people who come on here and ask for advice and then argue with the people who are giving them the advice they asked for. Seems like trolling sometimes, sometimes it seems like mental illness.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

If you come to a forum looking for advise, 90% of the time it’s wrong. It steps up to 99% for Facebook.

That's because everyone's advice is strictly limited to their spectrum of experience, which very well and always doesn't have much to do with someone else's problem/situation.

Including bona-fide financial advisors...

JohnnyB

WKR
There are a lot of knowledgeable and helpful people on this site. For instance, if you wanted to know how to survive alone for 90 days with a limited amount of supplies, we had Alone Guy. Even if you didn't want to know, he would tell you.

I miss him

With regards to advice on where to hunt, even in private conversation, I have found generally, residents are more pessimistic than non-residents. I posit that usually the resident hunters don't hunt as much out of state, and they're comparing the hunt you asked about to some of the better hunts they've had in state, as opposed to similar hunts out of state. Conversely, you ask the guy who has hunted OTC Colorado or Idaho a few times each what he thinks about some low/middle tier hunt, and he'll say it's awesome even if his experience was he didn't kill one but had opportunities at good bulls.

Rich M

WKR
There is some good advice on these forums. A lot of differing view points - maybe you considered them, maybe not.

Some guys just bust chops but that's part of it too.

hicountry1

Lil-Rokslider
Experience is the best teacher.

Opinions are worthless....see above..

Definitely a lot of experienced guys here.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Some people don't want to hear your opinion, they want to hear their opinion come out of your mouth.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

z987k

WKR
I mostly just make sure the entire internet isn't going to be where I hunt with 10k DIY hunts going on in the same spot.

I'm sure I'm going to rustle some feathers (maybe that's the intent😂) but do people actually come on here for advice? Or do they just want to see their own thoughts/positions re confirmed? So many times I see guys asking "advice" on gear or tactics, etc... And then they don't change their mind or seem to dive into other options/thoughts after guys offer things up? I realize we have the same problem in general society. Not whining about people not listening idgaf if you don't want to listen to me😂. My question is am I just a pessimist or wrong?
When I ask a question on this forum it is usually about a scope or cartridge or something that I don’t have experience with and am looking for opinions from those who have actual experience. Most of the opinions come from people with zero experience in that thing and I have to filter all of that out. For example I am thinking I want a lightweight spotter - so I may ask if anybody has compared the Nikon ED50, Razor, and Kowa and what their thoughts are because I haven’t looked through all of those. Is the Kowa worth the extra money etc? I have been swayed more than once by Roksliders input.

fwafwow

WKR
I'm sure I'm going to rustle some feathers (maybe that's the intent😂) but do people actually come on here for advice? Or do they just want to see their own thoughts/positions re confirmed? So many times I see guys asking "advice" on gear or tactics, etc... And then they don't change their mind or seem to dive into other options/thoughts after guys offer things up? I realize we have the same problem in general society. Not whining about people not listening idgaf if you don't want to listen to me😂. My question is am I just a pessimist or wrong?
I started for the advice, and admit to falling victim to confirmation bias (here and in life generally). I have also been guilty of reading for pure entertainment value, whining and preaching, being overly sarcastic and several of the other problems mentioned in prior posts. Thankfully there are plenty of more knowledgeable and patient folks on here to put up with my failings.