Do you cook oatmeal, ramen, etc directly in your Jetboil?

Ok so this may have been discussed somewhere but I've looked all over and can't find a thread giving the information that I need.

On a 5 day hunt, I'm bringing some mountain house and other dehydrated meals, I realize I can just boil water in my Jetboil and dump it in the mountain house bag.

However, for other meals such as oatmeal, ramen, pasta, and things that I will probably just pack in with ziplock bags, how do you prefer to cook them?

Do you bring an extra pot to put the oatmeal in and then dump the water from your Jetboil in and stir? Or do you just cook everything directly in the Jetboil pot and then just wash it out in the stream afterwards?

I also bought one of those mountain house cans, so I'll be dividing those portions up in ziplock bags as well. Would it be smart to just keep one of my mountain house packets and reuse the packet to cook my meals in?

I swear I have looked all over and can't find anyone discussing this aspect of backcountry cooking.

Thanks in advance y'all!

SJ-AK

Lil-Rokslider
I just pour the boiling water right into the zip lock bag, set it aside and let it do its thing. If it's really cold I put the zip lock in a beanie or the like while it is rehydrating. It's the lightest and most efficient option and has always worked well for me.

I line my coffee mug with a quart freezer bag and pour the water in there with my ramen or whatever, then cover with a beanie or similar. The one time I tried to cook the noodles in the jetboil, they burned to the bottom. The only thing I will prepare in the jetboil is coffee or tea and I still try to avoid that.

I've kept a few mountain house packages for insulating other food but never actually used them.

OP
M
Man thanks for the replies guys! That was quick. That tells me exactly what I needed.

For some reason I was just assuming the zip lock's would be too thin to put boiling water in. But that makes it super easy.

I appreciate it!

xcutter

WKR
I always pre-make my ramen or oatmeal in vac seal bags. I just roll as much air as possible out of them then use the vac sealer to melt and seal the bags. I have a coozie that I put the bag in to retain heat while I eat. This works real well when making Ramen Bombs.

KineKilla

WKR
I've been doing it all wrong! I've actually been packing a couple disposable bowls with me. One to pour and stir the oatmeal in and another to use as a lid while it hydrates.

I like the baggie in the cup idea way better. Especially if it was a collapsible cup.

Wrench

WKR
I use regular quart bags in a collapsing cup or qt bags in my larger mug. The weight of the bag is easily offset by the water saved and lack of dirty dishes.

JoshOR

Lil-Rokslider
Great ideas! I’ve always just packed a bowl. I have cooked normal noodles in the jet boil, constant stirring and a bit of a mess to cleanup but doable..

OP
M
I'm curious, what is a ramen bomb?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think a ramen bomb is ramen with instant mashed potatoes mixed in. I've heard that as a suggestion with a lot of House meals as well to thicken it up and just add carbs/calories.

Plus instant garlic mashed taters are good with almost anything.

xcutter

WKR
I'm curious, what is a ramen bomb?
It is ramen flavor of choice mixed with Idahoan mashed potatoes and a single serving SPAM packet. Sounds kind of gross but tastes awesome. Bunch of calories also. I usually split the mashed potatoes into 2 servings. So I put the 1/2 bag of mashed potatoes in a vac seal bag and open ramen noodles and place them in the bag. I leave the seasoning packet closed but placed in the bag. When I'm ready to cook and eat I will take the noodles out and put in my water that is boiling. When water is boiling pour in vac seal bag with seasoning packet and mashed potatoes and stir up really well then add SPAM. Something like 800ish calories. Give it a try.

crock239

FNG
For instant oatmeal, the single serving paper packets are lined with a thin plastic coating. So I just tear a corner off the little packet and add hot water directly. Stir, fold the corner over and wait a minute, then eat oatmeal directly from the packet with a camp spoon.
Yep, for instant oatmeal, I turn the packet upside down, rip the bottom off the packet, pour water in and eat right out of the packet w spoon...