Do you cook oatmeal, ramen, etc directly in your Jetboil?

I have tried eating from the oatmeal packets directly. Can work since they even give you a fill line for reference. However, they get cold REALLY quick. I switched to using a Titanium Mug from Snow Peak. It keeps the oatmeal warm while it hydrates the oatmeal. This was necessary for me since I eat oatmeal for breakfast. When it is 15 degrees outside, you don't want to old mash. I add two packets at once to the cup.

I also got a H300, which nests inside the H450 so I can also drink hot chocolae. I hope this helps.

For instant oatmeal, the single serving paper packets are lined with a thin plastic coating. So I just tear a corner off the little packet and add hot water directly. Stir, fold the corner over and wait a minute, then eat oatmeal directly from the packet with a camp spoon.
I've done this before a few times. I usually put the packet inside a mug so I don't burn my hands. Then once I finish the oatmeal, I make coffee in the mug. First time I ate oatmeal out of the packet in front of my son, his mind was blown. He's like "I've been eating instant oatmeal my whole life and never knew you could do that!!!" LOL

What's the problem with putting oatmeal or ramen directly in the JetBoil? I often just boil water and dump in the oatmeal and eat. A little pour of water swirled around and drank gets it pretty clean afterwards. And the next time you're using it you're boiling, so what's the big deal?

Josh_

FNG
I don't put Oatmeal directly in my cook pot, usually use freezer ziplock bags. if I take it. More of a bar/snack person for breakfast while hunting. Ramen I do like to cook right in my cook pot. It cleans up easily if you wipe it out right away.

jzelina

FNG
Check these out too. Put the ziplock bag in and let it reheat in there. I sewed my own version but I’m sure these are good. Best hand warmer ever too.

JesseBYOE

FNG
For instant oatmeal, the single serving paper packets are lined with a thin plastic coating. So I just tear a corner off the little packet and add hot water directly. Stir, fold the corner over and wait a minute, then eat oatmeal directly from the packet with a camp spoon.
Love this! So simple and efficient.

EJDXT21

Lil-Rokslider
I bought some of those black mylar type bags off of amazon, resealable. I made Mountain Mush for my breakfasts. Just pour hot water in, same concept as the freeze dried meals. You could put ramen and anything else that required hot water in those bags.

huck

Lil-Rokslider
Take some beef and some chicken boullion cubes ,can make alot of stuff taste like you can eat it .

Moserkr

WKR
I bought some of those black mylar type bags off of amazon, resealable. I made Mountain Mush for my breakfasts. Just pour hot water in, same concept as the freeze dried meals. You could put ramen and anything else that required hot water in those bags.
This^^^

100 Pack Smell Proof Bags - 4.7 x 7.9 Inches Resealable Mylar Bags Stand Up Ziplock Bags Food Storage Foil Pouch Matte Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PDM991...abc_CZ48XMSNET8CY0CS2FXX?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thats the minimum size for one meal. Did the plastic bag thing, works ok, prefer mylar bags. Started making my own dehydrated dinners in these too, Im too cheap to pay for mtn houses lol, and my cooking is better.

If you’re really cheap, wash and reuse em.

EJDXT21

Lil-Rokslider
This^^^

100 Pack Smell Proof Bags - 4.7 x 7.9 Inches Resealable Mylar Bags Stand Up Ziplock Bags Food Storage Foil Pouch Matte Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PDM991...abc_CZ48XMSNET8CY0CS2FXX?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thats the minimum size for one meal. Did the plastic bag thing, works ok, prefer mylar bags. Started making my own dehydrated dinners in these too, Im too cheap to pay for mtn houses lol, and my cooking is better.

If you’re really cheap, wash and reuse em.
The ones I got were 5.5x7.8, just a different brand. But yes that ball park is minimum size you’d want to go.

Kitten

FNG
Idk the idea of pouring boiling water into a plastic bag seems like it's a combo that will mix the plastic into your food.

fmyth

WKR
I pack in my oatmeal mix inside the thin sandwich ziplocks, then dump into my fare share mug and pour in the boiling water. The oatmeal residue gets rinsed/diluted into the coffee that I make afterwards.
I'll have to try that. Would save water and time for sure. Now you've got me thinking of just mixing my instant coffee powder into the oatmeal.

fmyth

WKR
Some of you dudes are pretty particular considering you're probably sleeping in the dirt and hoping to put your hands inside the guts of a dead animal. :)
I'm waiting for Louis Vuitton to offer this tea set in the Kuiu Vias pattern.

Attachments

• louisvuitton.jpg
    louisvuitton.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 15

Wrench

WKR
The reason I do as I posted is to be able to contain odors and sticky messes as much as possible while reducing the need to waste any water. Some of the basins I hunt can get stingy on water.

bard

Lil-Rokslider
If I am cold in the field raman goes into my nalgene bottle with boiling water. then inside my coat while I glass. Keeps you toasty warm for an hr or 2. then sip and eat as needed. nothing better when its cold as hell. coffee gets the same treatment when cold glassing. Oatmeal gets the freezer bag treatment. I pack every days food in a big freezer bag zip lock so just use the previous days bag. Mac and cheese or instant potatoes get cooked in a used mountain house bag. in a pinch i will use the jetboil to cook in. Just boil the water and turn off the burner before adding food to avoid cooking it onto the cup