Do you find technology helpful in staying fit?

Do you find technology helps you stay fit?

• Yes, it is an integral tool

• No, I'm a motivated beast

• No, it costs too much

• Yes, I use it some times

• No, but I don't stay fit

• Yes, but I'm still not fit

• No, it just complicates things

Results are only viewable after voting.

*zap*

WKR
Sure it helps up to a point. Consistency over many years, patience and a good program to achieve what you want are much more important. Pen and paper should not be overlooked.

I use apps and watches but they don't really help me stay fit really, they just automate the logging process. I used to keep paper notepad logs in the gym and it's pretty interesting looking back over years of those. It didn't take much to write down the day's plans, and then once I finish a set and jot down the details.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The short answer is no.

I've used it in the past, 10-15 years ago when I regularly ran mountain marathons, so I understand why people use it.

Ultimately though for the past five plus years I've been removing tech from my life wherever possible.

It's only had positive effects for me, my wife and our children, especially our children in doing so.
The massive amount of evidence showing that screen time is harmful for children, combined with a lack of evidence that any type of screen time is beneficial (particularly in the younger years) supports that. I do not reach the goal of 0 for the kids, but get closure than most.

For myself, while I play no games, have not social media beyond Rokslide and Tacomaworld, and need it for work (no other way to have hundreds of dollars in reference material in your pocket), I still find my phone in my hand more than I like and would like to deep six the damn thing.

I'm thinking about cloning my SIM and getting a dumb phone for when I'm not at work.

Anyway, off topic, but I applaud you. I also think a Garmin watch is pretty different from smartphones, computers, and TV, thoug the use of a smart watch does require some interaction with one of the first two.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Sure it helps up to a point. Consistency over many years, patience and a good program to achieve what you want are much more important. Pen and paper should not be overlooked.
I agree. For me, I have tried pen and paper and it has only ever stuck for about 3 months. I hit a spot like I'm in currently, where I'm working 72 hrs or so a week and with paper I get descuraged by the lack of logged workouts. Somehow, the watch is different to my mind. Cannot make sense of it, but it is how it is.

Again, I'm only 6 months in, so while it has pushed past historical limits, it is still too early for me to judge accurately.

amassi

WKR
My coworker has lost 15# since getting an apple watch, the feedback and circles the watch gives is like a game and he's definitely addicted. He went from an avg on 5k steps a day to over 19k avg, takes the stairs, walks on breaks etc- His other workouts didn't change, just the steps, stairs, parking garage etc.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I find it distracting. I ran a 5k yesterday and noticed my heart rate was at 95% of my max heart rate. I was pushing hard but not unreasonably so. I knocked my pace back out of concern for maintaining that another 10 min or so. Looking back, I wish I would have never known and I likely would have pushed harder. I’m not sure I trust the accuracy of the watch for one…for two, I’m confident I would have been fine either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The massive amount of evidence showing that screen time is harmful for children, combined with a lack of evidence that any type of screen time is beneficial (particularly in the younger years) supports that. I do not reach the goal of 0 for the kids, but get closure than most.

For myself, while I play no games, have not social media beyond Rokslide and Tacomaworld, and need it for work (no other way to have hundreds of dollars in reference material in your pocket), I still find my phone in my hand more than I like and would like to deep six the damn thing.

I'm thinking about cloning my SIM and getting a dumb phone for when I'm not at work.

Anyway, off topic, but I applaud you. I also think a Garmin watch is pretty different from smartphones, computers, and TV, thoug the use of a smart watch does require some interaction with one of the first two.

GPS watches are different yes, but it's also a GPS and increasingly a bluetooth device strapped to your body, even reading heart rate, etc then uploading all that data. All of it. You know that's not private, right?

That's a hard pass from me chief.

We all, (me included) have been playing with these toys with very little thought about the how's and why's of what we are doing.

In terms of T.V. , YT, social media, phones and tablets yes you are 100% correct.
They in effect cause brain damage in children.

It's that crazy, yet very few people are thinking and talking about it and even fewer people are taking action on it.

In the tech world this is known which is why they don't allow their children, (what few of them that have children) to use or even see mobile phones!
Very common practise in San Fran for nannies to have written into their contracts that their phones will never been seen let alone used in front of the clients children.

Then the real, but again mostly dismissed issue of electromagnetic radiation from bluetooth, mobile signals, and internet and WiFi signals.

pk_

WKR
@pk_, I'm curious about this part. What do you do with this information, do you actually alter your training plan on a given day based on the numbers? I've got a Fenix 6, I use it mainly to track distance and time. I occasionally look at some of the other metrics, but the data doesn't influence my training. I work a regular 9-5 job M-F, so even if the data says I should take Saturday off, it's just not happening. That's my long run day. I will sometimes skip a weekday run if I've been on a good streak and I'm feeling fatigued. But that's totally based on feel (never actually compared that to the data, I should in the next cycle). I've got several friends who also track all this data, none of them change their training based on the data either. So, I'm not trying to call you out, I'm genuinely curious if anyone who trains recreationally uses the data to influence their training schedule.

Yes, well, not based on numbers but how I feel. But what has surprised me is when I feel off or wake up groggy, is how how accurate the numbers reflect it. If I get a poor nights sleep or haven’t been eating enough calories or for some other reason I am not feeling good (truly not feeling good, not just unmotivated) I will absolutely alter my routine. I used to be able to just power through but I believe I am entering the stage of life (35) where I must listen to my body not the other way around.

I only do 2 strength training days a week, 1 day of sport and the other days are mobility and trigger sessions. So I will absolutely shoot for feeling my best on the strength/sport days but sometimes life happens so I will move those days if needed and plug in a mobility day in it’s place if possible, if I can’t move the day for some reason then I will do the exercise but may not be able to go 100%, unless I feel terrible I may just take a rest day which isn’t a bad thing for me because I have overtrained most of my life and my body thrives when I give it a break.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
GPS watches are different yes, but it's also a GPS and increasingly a bluetooth device strapped to your body, even reading heart rate, etc then uploading all that data. All of it. You know that's not private, right?

That's a hard pass from me chief.

We all, (me included) have been playing with these toys with very little thought about the how's and why's of what we are doing.

In terms of T.V. , YT, social media, phones and tablets yes you are 100% correct.
They in effect cause brain damage in children.

It's that crazy, yet very few people are thinking and talking about it and even fewer people are taking action on it.

In the tech world this is known which is why they don't allow their children, (what few of them that have children) to use or even see mobile phones!
Very common practise in San Fran for nannies to have written into their contracts that their phones will never been seen let alone used in front of the clients children.

Then the real, but again mostly dismissed issue of electromagnetic radiation from bluetooth, mobile signals, and internet and WiFi signals.
From a privacy standpoint, I find a cell phone (any cell phone, not just smartphones) significantly more disturbing than a smart watch (unless the watch has a sim and is cellular enabled, then it is basically a cell phone). The GPS on the watch is not always on, the significant hit in battery life when tracking an activity is evidence of this. On the other hand, a cellular device is always giving away its location to stay connected to the network.

Like guns and hammers, technology is a tool than can be used for good or bad. Look at how China prosecutes uyghers for not carrying their phone or letting their service expire. The potential is terrifying, though that potential is not currently realized in most of the world. If it is, simply putting it down will have consequences.

I'm no more concerned about the electromagnetic radiation from radio signals (bluetooth, WiFi, Etc.) than I am about the electromagnetic radiation generated by lightening or electrical wires. I'm more concerned about radiation exposure from the sun, but even then, short of being dumb and getting a sever sunburn, the beer I'm drinking at the moment is far more harmful than the background dose of ionizing radiation I get every day, and radio is not even ionizing radiation, plus all of it is longer wavelengths than visible light, and we are bathed in the electromagnetic radiation of visible light for most of the day.

Anyway, I have had these conversations ad nauseum with various people. I think it is safe to conclude that neither of us will alter our positions.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Well, I worked a tone of hours in July and August and did not stay as active as I would have liked. However, I was more active than I have been historically when working that much and have increased activity as I have the time this month. Historically, my workout days would have dropped to zero and I would not have picked back up once things eased off. Of course, there are multiple factors at play in such things, but I do believe having the Garmin watch has helped.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Well, I have had the Garmin for 16 months and it certainly helps me. I had some months in the winter where I slacked off, but less than years prior and I'm in the best physical condition I have been since 20 years old.

I think some of it depends on the person. I find the meaningless badges garm gives out motivational. It is objectively dumb, but I will take it as it helps me achieve my goals (which I guess makes it brilliant). It is also easier to see my progress over time.

I switched my units over to metric, this has broken the association I had with past performance. I had a mental block over running at slow paces, and was always shooting for a sub 8 minute mile. But, my brain is fine with 7-8 minute kilometers; which is slow as molasses at an 11 to amost 13 minute mile, but does not lead to the injuries that happened for years whenever my training volume picked up.

As for the weight on my gut, I was 210 lbs when I got the watch. I have been at 175 lbs for about 10 months. So, saved 35 pounds, that is close to the FSO weight of all my gear. So cost was $1.75/oz.

So, for me, it has already been worth the $1k for a Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar.

Last edited:

mikeafeagin22

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I have had the Garmin for 16 months and it certainly helps me. I had some months in the winter where I slacked off, but less than years prior and I'm in the best physical condition I have been since 20 years old.

I think some of it depends on the person. I find the meaningless badges garm gives out motivational. It is objectively dumb, but I will take it as it helps me achieve my goals (which I guess makes it brilliant). It is also easier to see my progress over time.

I switched my units over to metric, this has broken the association I had with past performance. I had a mental block over running at slow paces, and was always shooting for a sub 8 minute mile. But, my brain is fine with 7-8 minute kilometers; which is slow as molasses at an 11 to amost 13 minute mile, but does not lead to the injuries that happened for years whenever my training volume picked up.

As for the weight on my gut, I was 210 lbs when I got the watch. I have been at 175 lbs for about 10 months. So, saved 35 pounds, that is close to the FSO weight of all my gear. So cost was $1.75/oz.

So, for me, it has already been worth the $1k for a Fenix 7X Sapphire Solar.
Man that is an awesome update to hear! Congratulations. I know you have to feel 10 times better. Cutting 35lbs is no joke

mikeafeagin22

Lil-Rokslider
I personally have my garmin on 24/7 unless I’m charging it. I don’t pay much attention to the badges and all that but I am very in to tracking my movement. I decided I was going to hit 10,000 steps a day for a year straight and I’m now on 510 days in a row. I know for sure that there are plenty of days in there I wouldn’t have done the extra steps if it wasn’t for me keeping that streak up. Particularly travel days!

rclouse79

WKR
I had the Strava app for a mountain bike season. After a while I decided I preferred to just enjoy the ride instead of worrying about setting new personal records or comparing myself to others.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I personally have my garmin on 24/7 unless I’m charging it. I don’t pay much attention to the badges and all that but I am very in to tracking my movement. I decided I was going to hit 10,000 steps a day for a year straight and I’m now on 510 days in a row. I know for sure that there are plenty of days in there I wouldn’t have done the extra steps if it wasn’t for me keeping that streak up. Particularly travel days!
10k steps every day is impressive. I did it for 60 something days, then gave up.

When I worked in the ED, most shifts I would get 10k, but with my current job I get only 1 or 2k while at work, which means a long walk or decent length run to get 10k in a day.

mikeafeagin22

Lil-Rokslider
10k steps every day is impressive. I did it for 60 something days, then gave up.

When I worked in the ED, most shifts I would get 10k, but with my current job I get only 1 or 2k while at work, which means a long walk or decent length run to get 10k in a day.
I build outdoor structures for a living (decks, gazebos, pergolas, etc) so I just about always hit my steps before my work day is over. The hardest for me is the days I’m flying or driving home from a hard hunt. I either walk in circles all over the airport or I’ll stop at a rest stop every few hours and get a mile in there each time.
There’s been more than once that I went to get in bed and realized I hadn’t gotten my steps.. I’ll walk around my living room like a crazy person til I get them

Blacktocomm

Lil-Rokslider
When I first started running in middle school it was the time of the first Ipod and commercially available GPS. I couldn't afford to buy myself a fancy GPS watch and Ipod/Headphones were illegal for racing in middle/high school so I didn't have them.

I ran for over a decade based on time (instead of mileage) and no headphones/music.

But now I am older and find that I like the GPS even though I only use it for mileage and I love books/music/podcasts for my runs.

It hasn't helped motivate me - but it has made things easier and possibly more enjoyable knowing I can have my music and know exact mileage.

dtrkyman

WKR
I have been picking random videos on youtube from gainz center, it is a cartooninsh character walking you through exercises. No talking just demoing the exercises.

Use them for warm ups, they have tons of 5 to 15 minute work outs.