Do you follow blogs?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
We've been researching blogs for Rokslide. Looking on the net, there seems to be a few around, but it's hard to tell if hunters are interested in them? Do you all just look for forums for your information or do you have any good blogs you follow, too?

For those of you who might not know, a blog is both different and similar to a forum. The difference is that a blog is written by one person but similar in that it can be set up so others can participate in a comments section below the blog.

Example, we have an "expert" write a blog on a new backpacking stove or planning fall hunts. Members can just read the blog for pertinent info and/or participate in the discussion. They get an expert's opinion but can delve further into the subject if wanted.

Would a blog on Rokslide add to the experience or just be a dilution of information? Let us know, please.

Last edited:

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
A blog would have to be done by the right person/people. It has to be engaging (continually updated) to keep the attention of the viewers. It works great with people like Drury's, Lakosky's, etc who hunt and work year around in the industry. I think for most of us it would be hard to do. For Rokslide I think Aron could do it because he has enough adventures to keep it going pretty much year around. With all the hunts, Kifaru, and the testing it would work out well.

sk1

WKR
it would have to be a pretty interesting blog with continual updates.....i get bored easy....

blb078

WKR
it would have to be a pretty interesting blog with continual updates.....i get bored easy....

Same here. I find blogs about hunting specific states, areas, species, tag info, etc more interesting than something on gear. I would think w/the different Rokslide staffers being in different states that would be somewhat easy to do. Don't have to give out specifics about a unit(unless you want to I guess) but more about a region of a state, public/private land, type of game that has a decent population in the region, trophy quality, pressure, tag availability, terrain, and things like that, that could be updated through out the season and off season while scouting. Then maybe a year end review of gear that was used/tried during the season maybe.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would think w/the different Rokslide staffers being in different states that would be somewhat easy to do.

This isn't a bad idea? Have a Rok-Staff Blog. I think that would be kept pretty busy with all the different locations, seasons, scouting, etc.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would be interested in "State Oriented" blogs...I think we have plenty of info on gear. I find the biggest hurdle for me planning an out of state hunt is where to start my hunt. Trail heads/Access points Obviously your wouldn't give out specific places but at least a good resource (maps) for finding one yourself. I think people would benefit from it.

jamaro

FNG
State specific blogs are good but you will have a limited audience UNLESS that state has a unique animal or something that will really get hit when people do "searches". For example on my blog... http://thenewmexicosportsman.com/ I get a ton of hits for Elk hunting in the Gila...They are not only coming from residents but from Non-Residents. I do have a pretty consistent following but the trick is getting those people that aren't regular readers. I also think that the blogger needs to have a larger FB or twitter imprint. The bigger the better if you want to drive traffic to Rokslide. When I was working with Bowcast we tried a ton of blogs and they never really took off. I am not sure why, maybe because it is hard to get solid bloggers that are in it for the long haul and are not going to get bored. I usually post NM specfic stuff like my adventures or when the Procs come out or major changes come out. Also, I get more hits from videos than from text. I guess people are lazy. :) You also need to take care of your bloggers... They need something to keep them going even it is product or helping them get on a pro-staff.... As much as they will say they will do it for free the bottom line is that it is work to keep the blogs active.
If I can help let me know

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Jason,
you're a gem, thanks for the offer and we'll keep you in mind. I checked out your blogs- fantastic! You've put a ton of work into that and what a great resource for NM hunters.

One question, "not married, no kids, only a dog" Then just who is that sweetie your got you hand on in the pic? :)

jamaro

FNG
BUSTED... I need to update that... Just got married and have a step-son.. eheheheheh thanks and thanks for finding that before she did or I would have been in a world of HURT....

dotman

WKR
I haven't really paid any attention or searched out blogs so I have no idea if I would follow one or not but would hate to see a blog take someone away from posting up or being an active contributor to the threads, I'm assuming this would be labor intensive to keep interest.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Jamaro, you owe me bud! You would'a been on her short list for an arse-whippin' had she seen that. She'd a thought you were still advertising as single- Hilarious!

good points dotman

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Robby, I sent you an email with some practical stuff I have learned from some blogging. Boring, but practical.

I like the state blog idea. Blogs can also incorporate some philosophical stuff that you can't necessarily get in forum conversations.

jamaro

FNG
You also might want to take into consideration "tagability" or search ability... If you do a blog and add tags when they do a search it will be picked up.. If they put it in the forums it is a little harder for search engines to find it. So with a blog you can also get people that are not familiar with Rokslide. One thing that they sponsors or you might like is that with blogs you can control the content.. With forums you have NO IDEA where it could end up. Blogs also don't need moderating... Look at AT, that place has become a mess and it is hard to find solid content because everybody is trying to push sponsor stuff or get sponsored.. Remember the Bowtech Drama over there..

I've yet to see a quality hunting blog, prefer a forum with good folks, solid information and great pics = Rokslide! Don't drive traffic and visitors elsewhere.

I like the idea of blogs being not only informative but able to tell a story or serve as a record of something. I participated in the monstermuleys.com Hunt Adventure Challenge which is set up more like a blog in order to document my season. I also have seen blogs used to document things like a bucket list. I think a blog is great for things like that. I was actually just thinking that the other day, that I would like to blog about hunting experiences, goals, learnings, etc and have it serve as more of a stand alone record than posts in a forum would.

I'm with Curtis and Arrow, I think we get a lot of the same benefits with our forums. This is my favorite site, and I find that I spend a lot of my time here with you guys and gals.

Floorguy

WKR
We've been researching blogs for Rokslide. Looking on the net, there seems to be a few around, but it's hard to tell if hunters are interested in them? Do you all just look for forums for your information or do you have any good blogs you follow, too?

For those of you who might not know, a blog is both different and similar to a forum. The difference is that a blog is written by one person but similar in that it can be set up so others can participate in a comments section below the blog.

Example, we have an "expert" write a blog on a new backpacking stove or planning fall hunts. Members can just read the blog for pertinent info and/or participate in the discussion. They get an expert's opinion but can delve further into the subject if wanted.

Would a blog on Rokslide add to the experience or just be a dilution of information? Let us know, please.

I think what I read would be similar to the articles section already here on rokslide but with an ability for reader questions/comments section. What you could do is have the article posted in the articles section with a link to a pinned thread where the articles author could receive feedback from the audience. Let it be known that the pinned thread is for more of an exchanging of thoughts rather than a normal style thread and moderate it as such ie delete the "awesome article", "sweet pic" and wish I could be there" type posts.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Chippewa
that is one of the best ones I've seen. I can understand why he might be done- blogs can be a TON of work.

Thanks