Do you gut birds in the field?

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
I saw a bunch of folding knives with little bird gut hooks built in. Does anyone use these? Or, does anyone gut their birds in another way while in the field?
I’ve cut open and pulled the guts out of a few birds that I gut-shot so bad I was worried about poop getting in the meat, otherwise it’s never crossed my mind.
Maybe this is a hot weather thing I’m blissful ignorant of?

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
If your dog has enough of a gator mouth, she pops the guts out the cloaca on the initial pickup and problem "solved"...

But back when I lived in the L48 we'd routinely just clean upland birds at the truck, especially in September when temps are +80F.

BBob

WKR
Never used a knife on quail and dove, I was taught how to do it without. We always cleaned the birds at the truck (leaving a required wing on) then threw them into a bag in the ice chest.

jmez

WKR
No, cut the tail off right next to body. Snip along side the back bone, both sides starting from the back of the bird all the way out past the breast. Grab the head, pull down and all the guts come out. Leaves you a spatchcocked bird. Can either skin them or pluck them. Use the shears to snip anything left attached and kind of push the guts out. Don't even get hands bloody.

KurtR

WKR
Nothing worse than pulling up in a public spot and a shit ton of feathers and guts laying all over the parking area. If you clean them in the field be considerate of other people. I just drive to my house and clean them. I don’t hunt when it’s hot need to let all the sconis and Minnesotans clear out.

Nothing worse than pulling up in a public spot and a shit ton of feathers and guts laying all over the parking area. If you clean them in the field be considerate of other people.
^this

Last year I pulled into a spot to find a bunch of barely breasted mallards right outside the parking lot. Dog and I went for a walk and found a couple guys cleaning birds on our way out. They weren't the same as the previous but I gave them my thoughts on throwing guts and shit around the parking area.

I've cleaned hundreds of birds and never felt like I had to trash the parking lot to do it.

CAB

FNG
Nothing worse than pulling up in a public spot and a shit ton of feathers and guts laying all over the parking area. If you clean them in the field be considerate of other people. I just drive to my house and clean them. I don’t hunt when it’s hot need to let all the sconis and Minnesotans clear out.
Yup, couldn't agree more.

dtrkyman

WKR
Cleaning birds like the guy in the video above in the field would be a big no no here, need to keep something attached to ID the bird!

Cleaning birds like the guy in the video above in the field would be a big no no here, need to keep something attached to ID the bird!
I do something similar to the video but it keeps the wings/legs attached.

I push my thumb through the skin behind the breast bone. Then, grab the base of the neck with my other hand and push/pull the bird apart.

The entire breast with both wings comes off in one half, typically with the heart. The other half is legs and guts.

It's quick/easy and doesn't violate any laws about maintaining a fully feathered wing/foot.

The old stand on the wings and pull the feet is a similar idea but I find it likely to tear the breast meat that way.

KJH

WKR
I don't. Never had a problem.

When it comes to ducks, I especially don't gut them because I age them whole for 7-10 days. If you gut them, you ask for more bacteria to be introduced. The meat is totally different and most any gamey taste is gone.

phil dirt

FNG
I like to clean in the field when I get back to the truck and I always have a gallon of water with me , they cool better and no mess at home.

TheGDog

WKR
Next time I'm cleaning them in the field. Too much feather mess to fuss with at home, especially in urban suburban area. Thinking I'm gonna have to get me a pair of those shears though. That's slick!

Rich M

WKR
We always did it back at camp/home.

Step on the wings and pull the feet up slowly. Works on a lot of birds - don't try it on a duck or goose - you'll hurt yourself. Can't say if it works on doves, they look too much like pigeons for me to eat.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Small upland birds, will do it in the field or end of the day in the field. Ducks/Geese sometimes hang them, but just use a knife and debreast them.