Do you guys carry bear spray in Black Bear country?

jarrettd

FNG
We are heading into an area this year that is known for holding A LOT of black bears but no Grizzly. I know they are generally more afraid of you than you are of them. I really don't feel like carrying bear spray. Do you guys think its necessary to carry bear spray in black bear country??

timr00ger

FNG
I do for peace of mind, even though every single black bear I have come across in the backcountry has ran off as soon as they notice me. But, it helps me sleep at night so its worth the weight for me.

By my cabin in MN we do not, they are terrified of people. I was in northern SK this spring on a bear hunt and we sure did there. The bears were fearless of people. One big blond sow thought she was a Labrador. Followed you around at 8 feet and stuck nose in brush blind at 2 feet. Gets spooky.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I've encountered hundreds of black bears in the sierras. In all of those bear encounters/sightings only two have been butt puckery, and it was both time a sow with cubs I didn't see. Both times I bumped the bears and the cubs, instead of running off with mom, went up trees. Mom of course won't go too far and when you do the normal yell or throw rocks the mom "runs off" but comes right back. I finally realized it was a sow protecting and not a bear that wanted me for lunch and I backed off and got quiet. A few min later I see the cubs climb down out of the trees and off they went. This makes it seem like you have a "problem" bear in the moment when really you've treed her cubs and she wants you out of there.

99% of the time they will run off and I've never carried spray. I do normally carry a pistol when backpacking but if I'm hunting in non-grizz there is no need for pistol since I'll have rifle or bow.

jimh406

WKR
Unless you are in a part of the country that for sure doesn’t have Grizzlies, I’d carry bear spray. In much of MT, the areas overlap. I’m not sure why you don’t want to carry it, but seems to me that it is easier to carry spray than explaining why you shot a bear assuming you can’t get a tag where you hunt.

I used to until the safety clip came off once while backpacking and I had an accidental discharge. I've now been indirectly exposed to the particles from bear spray twice and just the smallest amount in the air wrecks me for the next several hours afterwards so I take my chances without. I live nowhere near Grizzly bears though.

I guided black bear hunts on the coast of NC for 5ish years never even owned bear spray...even when they came up the tree my stand was in a good Boooo will send them running away.

EJDXT21

Lil-Rokslider
If you are asking the question, then you probably should for peace of mine more than anything else. But it could come in handy for other critters too...mountain lion, moose, peta...you never know. Get a holster like the mystery ranch one that you can put on your pack strap or hip belt and you'll forget its even there.

We are heading into an area this year that is known for holding A LOT of black bears but no Grizzly. I know they are generally more afraid of you than you are of them. I really don't feel like carrying bear spray. Do you guys think its necessary to carry bear spray in black bear country??
No