Do you hunt backcountry turkeys?

Just wondering if anyone out there hunts backcountry turkeys. I really enjoy chasing Merriams at 9500' with my bow...makes for some fun Spring outings and Fall excitement when the elk aren't cooperating!

Sawtooth

FNG
Not really. I've hunted them on day trips from my home in south-central Colorado, and have attempted to hunt them on short backpack trips that always resulted in no birds seen. I would LOVE to backpack in for a few days, kill a bird, and haul him out. Perhaps someday! I've killed a bunch of eastern turkeys, but hardly any Merriams in my home state.

I have to walk in over two miles usually.......unless they answer my Owl hooting prior. Then about the 3rd week the forest service opens the road and I go as far as the snow allows.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh yes! Turkeys! Watch for future turkey hunting articles! I am working on a couple!

B

bearguide

with spring time coming i love to read about turkeys and bear

Yea turkey hunting is great. I hunt them in the mountains sometimes. Very few birds. Last year I backpacked into an area. Found a bird. Had him come in behind me and couldn't get drawn at the bird.Sure is fun. But that was my only backcountry encounter of that season.