Do you keep a round in the chamber?

kong

Lil-Rokslider
Really great discussion. One thing to note is self defense handguns are in holsters that cover the trigger guard. If you were to get some type of trigger guard kydex holster like this https://goo.gl/images/CseBVy it would definitely add safety in a chambered round scenario if not in ones hands or in control of the action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
With big game hunting we spend a lot of time on steep ground, sneaking, and crawling. Have a very hard time not letting the muzzle of a slung rifle cross others. Just don't see a solution to it.

It's one of the things I don't like about the Gunbearer, but using a traditional sling doesn't fix it either.

Way different than bird hunting. We don't travel over 45° terrain or crawl for 200 yards with our shotguns. Don't load my duck gun until the spread is set and I'm settled in, but for small game I certainly carry hot.

*zap*

WKR
TAG sells a molle 'weapon cache' that holds the fore end of a rifle, you can attach it to a pack belt/pant belt pretty easily and carry with a two point sling keeping the muzzle pointing at the ground just behind you. Downside is a Velcro closure but it could be modified to a snap pretty easily and a one sided Velcro piece would make the Velcro inoperable when you want it to be. People mostly use them on the side carrier of a plate carrier to hold a single point slung weapon in place if they need to use both hands for something. Keeps the weapon from bouncing around and/or hitting the ground if you are kneeling. Works good on a pack also if you have side molle webbing and a retention strap on the pack. They work well and secure a long gun very well. They now make a magnetic version but I have no experience with that.

You will never see me using a gun bearer. Plenty of ways to rig a 2 point sling across chest and slide it around to point the muzzle back and down.....add the weapon cache and your good to go.

YMMV.

Here is a similar product but I would use it differently for hunting...

Last edited:

rayporter

WKR
so it matters to you a shotgun only has a 40 yd range but the accidents happen with in 5 yd?
so you hunt with one up th spout with a scatter gun.

really????

just how many accidents have happened with a rifle at 200 yds in the last hundred years? name one where a guy fell and triggered his rifle and hit someone that was over 50 yds away.

I get it if you have your rifle on your pack, your not hunting you are hiking with a rifle.

I don't like to hunt with a club. I grew up kicking a briar patch to see if a deer would run out.

bigmoose

WKR
I always have one in the chamber when out in field and I hunt with my rifle in my hands. I shot my avatar buck with a quick off hand shot at 30 yards in the back of his head. I've also taken several other deer and elk with quick shots. I'm always checking my safety and keeping my rifle pointed in a safe direction. I've never had an issue with my model 70 but I did find my model 700 safety off one time. It kind of spooked me and since then I've been very conscious of checking it often. Gun safety is always automatic when I've got a gun in my hands. Just the way I was raised.

As I get on in years I understand my father’s reasoning for believing all persons should be drafted into the military, if for nothing else than to learn firearms safety.

I understand and agree with every guide I’ve ever spoken with that wants their client to carry on an empty chamber.

Not everyone understands firearm safety or the ramifications of thoughtless actions.

The two accidental discharge incidents I am personally familiar with was
1 My friend Dean, being an idiot with a gun that he “thought was empty”. Thankfully the only injury was him getting his ass whooped for his actions.
2 A neighbor climbing in to a tree stand. When his sling failed, his gun dropped straight down and discharged upon landing. He died within minutes.

To reiterate, firearm safety begins and ends with presence of mind.

Certain situations dictate carrying hot, while other situations dictate carrying empty. There are no absolutes. There is no margin of error.

The majority of the time my long gun is loaded while hunting. My handgun is my last line of defense and as such it’s always loaded.

Three decades later and I still won’t hunt with Dean.

As I get on in years I understand my father’s reasoning for believing all persons should be drafted into the military, if for nothing else than to learn firearms safety.

I understand and agree with every guide I’ve ever spoken with that wants their client to carry on an empty chamber.

Not everyone understands firearm safety or the ramifications of thoughtless actions.

The two accidental discharge incidents I am personally familiar with was
1 My friend Dean, being an idiot with a gun that he “thought was empty”. Thankfully the only injury was him getting his ass whooped for his actions.
2 A neighbor climbing in to a tree stand. When his sling failed, his gun dropped straight down and discharged upon landing. He died within minutes.

To reiterate, firearm safety begins and ends with presence of mind.

Certain situations dictate carrying hot, while other situations dictate carrying empty. There are no absolutes. There is no margin of error.

The majority of the time my long gun is loaded while hunting. My handgun is my last line of defense and as such it’s always loaded.

Three decades later and I still won’t hunt with Dean.
Everything I learned from the military is in direct opposition to a guide requesting an empty chamber, am I not understanding your first two paragraphs?
Politely and with respect I would suggest your two noted incidences are negligent not accidental as both are presented to be in opposition of accepted safety procedures.

Esse quam videri

I'm not sure why the military thing has any bearing at all. If in a situation where you can be shot at and such is totally different than hunting animals.

I do also find it comical that many seem to think that those that carry on a empty chamber are doing so because they do not practice firearm safety and must be muzzle sweeping all the time.

If one is walking and has the rifle in their hands all the time while hunting or sitting in the stand I can see.

I for the most part have my rifle strapped to my pack until I see something worth stalking and take it off my pack. Have yet to miss an opportunity yet because of it (that I know of ;) ) but I would just rather have my hands free to glass and trekking pole when hiking/hunting than have to set the rifle down and unload when I want to glass or try to operate trekking poles.

I guess I don't see the advantage of having a rifle with a round in the chamber when its strapped to my pack. That is not going to be the deciding factor if I get my rifle out in time. Are those that are talking about having one in the chamber also doing this with the rifle on the pack or do you never use trekking poles? Do you unload your rifle when you cross creeks or obstacles?

I only referenced the military training because it was mentioned above as a good thing that everyone should have, and then was recommended to carry an empty chamber directly after that. I wasn't sure if I was reading it wrong or not.
Quite a few people in this thread have noted that if they are in a group, or someone is behind them (or something to that effect) they want that person to have an unloaded chamber. If they aren't being swept with the muzzle why is this a concern? As to actually being muzzle swept it has happened to me far more times than I care to admit. It usually occurs at a shoot of some sort and the normal retort is "it's unloaded you can see the action is open". The claim usually made by a guy with a break open shotgun, or a bolt action rifle, as if that excused the lack of muzzle control.
I can't speak for everyone, but from your descriptions, it seems we do things more alike than not. If the rifle is not in my hands I'm not hunting so it does not have one in the chamber. There are just very few times it is not in my hands. I typically only use trekking poles on the hike in (usually but not always the day before the season), and for the hike out hopefully fully loaded with meat and only one trip out with the rifle. If in the act of my endeavours I cannot maintain control of the muzzle or trigger discipline then I will unload the chamber.

I think being on any side of this discussion proves that you have the right answer, round chambered or not. The only guys with the wrong answer are the ones that never give it any consideration, or give safety in general any consideration for that matter.

netman

WKR
I hunt with a round in the chamber. Like others mentioned I unload gettin in or out of the stand, rough terrain or clambering on rocks.
Here is one for everyone to think about...
My buddy Mike and I had been hunting waterfowl almost daily. The birds got stale and the hunting slacked off. Mike calls me on Friday and said his son wanted to hunt in the morning. I told him I was going to pass. So Mike and his son went the next morning without me. We hunt the backwater off a small river that floods out fields and timber. The water was dropping out hard. Mike and son stood in a ditch with decoys out in some trapped water. As soon as it got light Mike said we need to get on any birds that come through as it’s going to be tough today. A short time later a small flock buzzed the outside edge of the decoys. Mike said ‘take em’ as he and his son rose up to shoot. As they stood up Mike lost his footing and his Benelli muzzle went up into his sons armpit. It went off. He was able to have a few final words with his son and say a prayer with him as he passed away.

*zap*

WKR
I hunt with a round in the chamber. Like others mentioned I unload gettin in or out of the stand, rough terrain or clambering on rocks.
Here is one for everyone to think about...
My buddy Mike and I had been hunting waterfowl almost daily. The birds got stale and the hunting slacked off. Mike calls me on Friday and said his son wanted to hunt in the morning. I told him I was going to pass. So Mike and his son went the next morning without me. We hunt the backwater off a small river that floods out fields and timber. The water was dropping out hard. Mike and son stood in a ditch with decoys out in some trapped water. As soon as it got light Mike said we need to get on any birds that come through as it’s going to be tough today. A short time later a small flock buzzed the outside edge of the decoys. Mike said ‘take em’ as he and his son rose up to shoot. As they stood up Mike lost his footing and his Benelli muzzle went up into his sons armpit. It went off. He was able to have a few final words with his son and say a prayer with him as he passed away.

Very sad story. It is VERY important to maintain a finger off the trigger and on the side of the weapon until actually ready to shoot (after target is acquired)and then removing the finger from the trigger after the shot/shot string is complete. Discipline, practice and repetition will ingrain this into muscle memory. You leave your finger on the trigger while shooting an idpa stage and moving between shots and you will most likely be asked one time to rectify that.....after that you will probably be asked to leave. Stressful shooting situations like that will help ingrain this into your muscle memory. This is really a very important part of firearm safety but often overlooked.

Last edited:

Okhotnik

WKR
I used to be in the same camp as Backpack Hunter. I would almost always have a round in the chamber for the same reason he mentioned. Until two years ago.

My ten-year-old son, my best friend, my dad, and I had just hiked over a ridge on the opening day of deer season. We all sat down in the grass and began to glass. I had my pack sitting between my son and me with his rifle sitting on top. Thankfully I had it pointed in a safe direction because I reached to grab something out of my pack without looking and hit the trigger causing his rifle to fire. When I loaded his rifle earlier I put the safety on like I always do but it had somehow gotten switched off.

I was sick to my stomach the rest of that day due to thinking how that could have turned out. I decided that night that there isn't a trophy worth not being as safe I possible so I no longer carry a round in my rifle chamber when I'm with other people.

Great reminder

lak2004

WKR
I used to rock a chambered round, many of your posts have changed my thought process on it. Missing an animal because I don't have that extra second is a hell of a lot better than shooting myself or someone else. Thanks for some of your stories and insight.

bsnedeker

WKR
I believe, like just about anything hunting-related, that it is situational and having hard rules about it is kind of ridiculous. For the most part I do not keep a round in the chamber, but if I am still hunting through heavy timber where I may bump into an animal at 50 yards or less I will keep one in the chamber, safety on, gun pointed in a safe direction, finger off the trigger (generally keep thumb on the safety actually). My first experience hunting this way I missed multiple opportunities for the first few days because I didn't have one in the chamber and I spooked the animal when they heard me racking one into the chamber. So for me it isn't about speed, it's about stealth.

Mark86

Lil-Rokslider
From ages 8-about 25 or so I always had one chambered in the field. But the last several years I don’t. I guess having kids in the field with me makes me take every precaution. Originally, I stopped because it forced me to take another look at the animal before pulling the trigger. Whacking 2x3s to small 4 points got old lol so if I’m not loaded, things slow down quite a bit and I take time to look at the quality instead of just shooting whatever legal animal shows face first.

Admittedly, not the “right” reason to practice better safety.

Mark86

Lil-Rokslider
I do if just hiking. My buddy had the perfect setup on a bear and then he heard the click and ran, lol.

Good point. I don’t think there’s a perfect answer. What’s one of those really important gun safety rules we’re all supposed to practice??? Treat every weapon as if it were loaded. Keep the muzzle on a safe direction until ready to fire....if we follow those and the others we all learned when we were getting started it shouldn’t matter if you’re rolling hot or not, right?

But hey, accidents happen and the only 100% sure thing is a round can’t go boom if it’s not in the chamber.