Do you leave stove canister attached in pack?

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
Do you leave your isobutane canister attached to your stoves? I have an MSR windburner and last season I attached and detached the canister after every use of the stove. Is this necessary or should I just leave it attached?

The_Yetti

Lil-Rokslider
I always detach mine, the thought of the valve getting bumped or the stove coming partway unscrewed and leaving me SOL makes taking the 2 seconds to unscrew it worthwhile.

Elk2008

Lil-Rokslider
Same here. Always detach so it doesn’t accidentally leak al the fuel out of partially unscrewed.

The MSR Windburner is my backpack hunting workhorse. I always detach the cannister from the stove whether at camp or backpacking. Hate taking a chance having the cannister slowly discharge while overnighting in the backcountry.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I detach the canister if the stove is going in my pack. The risk of leaking fuel is why, because I don't want to run out, I doubt being saturated in isobutane would be good for synthetic materials, and having my pack saturated in flammable gas just sounds like a bad day waiting to happen.

Last edited:
I hunt in grizzly country, so I am hanging my food everyday and my stove goes up with it so it all stays together. I detach the stove so no fuel leaks

Lost.

FNG
I always detach mine when I’m transporting it somewhere or putting it away for a few days. If it’s staying stationary and not moving for awhile, I leave it attached.

Wapiti151

WKR
I always detach mine and RE-cap so it doesn’t empty in my pack. I’d hate to hike a full day deeper and come to realize I don’t have any fuel. Of course, you could be like Kurt from SG and just eat cold dehydrated meals.

I always detach it after every use, even if it's staying put in the tent all day. You never know when some freak accident or malfunction can ruin your day (or week).

I would never do that, seems like a great way to break your stove or canister. Take the 5 seconds to unscrew it lol. If you're considering doing this to save time its like passing someone and driving like a dick in gridlock traffic, not worth it to me

The only time I don’t detach my canister, for any of my stoves, is when I end up with a canister that is leaking. Over the years I’ve had a few that have a slow leak you barely hear after you detach. If I can’t get it to stop leaking I will leave it on the stove so the valve on the stove stops the leak. Obviously you have to be careful. I’ve only had to do that a couple times.

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
I have an Omnilite stove, which uses either a canister or white gas with a pump and bottle. It uses the same Lindal valve for both. With white gas, I almost never disconnect the stove from the bottle, and I've never had it leak in my pack. Again, that's with exactly the same valve that would seal a canister.

I rarely use canister gas with the stove, but when I'm not carrying it far, I do use 1 lb propane bottles via an adapter. I have had those leak in my pack, but only when not connected to anything. Ironically, the solution to stop the leak was to thread the bottle onto the valve.

The other thing I learned with leaking propane in my pack, is that it would take many hours for the whole bottle to leak out.

I have had a stove leak white gas inside my pack. It was an older stove, and the O-ring fell out of the fill cap and I didn't notice. Despite the tank leaking nearly to empty all over my pack's contents, the only thing that wasn't fixed by a couple hours of sunlight was a bag of roasted corn snacks, which didn't smell like white gas, but had an odd gas aftertaste. Years later, we still joke about that trip.

Lessons learned: it may be better to leave fuel bottles connected to valves inside packs, but stove fuel leaking in a pack isn't as big of a problem as it seems.