Do you move on to another basin?

Slim Jim

WKR
I just finished my Nevada archery mule deer hunt and couldn't close the deal. I stalked two bucks in the 170-180 class three times in my five day hunt nine miles deep in the backcountry. They fed and bedded in the same 100 yard radius everyday high on mountain above the basin floor. My only possible way to stalk was to come in side hill on them because the backside of mtn. was shear cliff. There wasn't more than a mile an hour breeze everyday so you could almost hear a pin drop in the whole basin (at least it seemed). The closest I got was about 80 yards out and they would start grunting and blow out. Very frustrating to say the least. Just wish I could've got at least got a little wind to help cut down on noise.

Should I have just moved on to another basin and found another buck with a more stackable location or just wait it out like I did and hope that I can get the wind before my hunt is over?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am surprised they stayed in same area after blowing them up once. Sometimes the buck picks a bedding area that is not hunt able. I can't say what I would do, but 180 with a bow is superb. I think I may have moved on and checked back in a couple of days to see if they bedded in a more approachable area. Always a tough call.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
That is bow hunting man! You win some you loose some. Thats why we all play the game.

Coloradoboy

I know that is bow hunting but was just wondering if what I did was the right decision. I keep second guessing my decision. Just the perfectionist in my personality.

muleman

WKR
I know that is bow hunting but was just wondering if what I did was the right decision. I keep second guessing my decision. Just the perfectionist in my personality.

I personally would have done the same thing. Maybe its just my area, but once you find a deer you want to shoot you stick on him. Who know maybe the next stalk would have been the one.

bohntr

WKR
I have a little different approach them some, here. I've had the exact thing happen to me before (several times actually) and chose to hunt a buck that was "huntable".......I moved to a different basin and hunted deer I could at least stalk successfully. However, I would periodically check on the original buck throughout the week to see if his pattern has changed. High-country mule deer can be very predictable in terms of where the bed and feed, so the chances of him bedding in a good position may be slim.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is why BOHNTR has killed many, many, many big mule deer with his bow. For those that don't know Roy he is a very knowledgeable hunter and very successful at it.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Thanks bohntr, I should have done that. Well I am going back in two weeks for the last three days of the season and will definitely use that advise to hopefully get it done