Do you need a bolt that locks when the safety is on?

Growing up with (and still using) a MKII, anything without a 3 position safety feels awkward for me.

Now when my son was 11, he had his first shot at a deer. The gun went "click." Turns out the savage axis bolt went out of battery. The bolt and action though very smooth, would effortlessly open when in travel. The gun is now a safe queen. I felt really bad for him. He now shoots an x-bolt with the bolt bypass button.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Prefer the 3 position or an unlocking 2 position.

I have had bolts open, luckily never cost me a deer. That said, my Montana 1999 has a less than positive 3 position safety that likes to work into the middle position, which is where I’ve had an open bolt.

If I recall correctly, the original Rem 700 had a locking 2 position but they went to an unlocking 2 position after lawsuits over accidental discharges when disengaging the safety (which if you are unloading the gun means more safety disengagements when you aren’t planning on shooting the gun).

On the 700 going bang without a finger on the trigger, I saw it myself on 2 rifles with a safety disengagement and promptly switched the old trigger group on the one owned by a family member out for an unlocking Timney.

If I recall correctly one of the triggers had oil in it and it was damn cold and the other rust…both probably common to the average big game hunter ( a Midwest deer hunter who shoots their gun once a day before the season starts, probably neglects it during and after the season no matter the conditions and if they do clean it does it wrong by honking excess oil everywhere).

Seeknelk

WKR
I prefer a locking bolt. Buddy had giant buck walk thru two openings, as he tried squeezing and squeezing as the buck walked away. Then he noticed bolt slightly open. Really. What a design. Well thought out.
Other friends model seven 300wsm has had an action full of twigs n no cartridge after checking it. This is in big griz country...extra surprises not needed. He always trys checking his bolt handle but still, several times he's lost shells.