Do you process meat yourself or have it commercially processed?

Process yourself or take it to the processor?

• Do it myself

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • Take it to the processor

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Some combination; I do some and drop some off

Votes: 28 37.8%

• Total voters
OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Becca,

Single products I've canned at the cannery are beef (stew meat), hamburger, pork, chicken, elk, potatoes and carrots. Combinations I've canned are chicken noodle soup, chili, veggies (potatoes, carrots and celery) and a pudding (like carrot pudding).
Some of our favorite things to do with the canned meat are: enchilada's, chicken and broccoli casserole, quesadilla's, burrito's, bbq sandwiches, pot pie filling over homemade biscuits, a variety of soups, sandwich fillings and chicken rollups. The canned hamburger can be used in any recipe calling for hamburger but we find it best when used with seasonings like tacos, or in soups and casseroles. I'm sure I'm forgetting some of the recipes we use it in but that's a pretty good idea of how we use it. The canned meat is so convenient for any recipe that calls for cooked and shredded meat. It is also very convenient to dehydrate the meat and add it to backpacking meals or take the cans with you when road camping. You mentioned fish, I've talked to some women who've canned their husband's catch and they speak very highly of the canned fish.

Thanks Cindy, lots of great ideas! I will goof with the pressure canner more this winter, and post up the process and my results in the cooking forum...

Last time I had someone else cut up one of my animals we lost a bunch of the meat. Not sure if they used an old bandsaw or something but 2 of us got sick more than once and we had to throw a lot of good elk meat out...

I'm really the only person in my family that hunts and so I just taught myself a few years back and have been doing it all on my own ever since. I actually enjoy it if doing something like a mule deer sized animal. Anything bigger and it's nice to have some extra hands! I don't have a grinder yet so all my burger meat I just cut/wrap in 3-4 lb packages and freeze until I can convince a buddy to use his grinder or wait until somebody else is doing a meat processing day.

Mike

oldgrowth

Lil-Rokslider
We have always processed our own deer by seperating the major muscle groups and cutting into steaks or roasts. Last season we purchased a meat grinder and new vacuum sealer and started making our own burger and sausage. This is one of the best investments we have made as we use a lot more burger than steaks. Now i just save the backstrap, tenderloins, and a roast then grind the rest into burger and sausage. 2 years back i was fortunate enough to get a pig. We had it buchered because we wanted ham and pork chops made (i am clueless when it comes to butchering like a pro). I will say that was the best ham we ever had.

bobhunts

WKR
I will have to say my brother does the pressure cooker canned deer meat in Oregon and he swears by it. I'll be trying it soon. I just got a pressure cooker. I usually have my meat done at a processor, that "I know" and never had a problem other than the cost. I tend to use all of my vacation on my hunt and no way to store it in a cooler to do on the weekends.Bob.

Craig4791

WKR
I have all of the stuff to do it and always do it myself if I have time but sometimes time is not available so I will have it processed.

arffdog875

Lil-Rokslider
I do all of our butchering of elk, deer and antalope. I have a grinder and do the burger, I am saving up for a smoker and sausage stuffer. Does anyone have any tips for using a vacuum sealer? I am getting the Cabelas commercial vacuum sealer as a gift, and have never used one? Thanks!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I like to process my own when possible so I can age it 3-4 weeks. Our butchers around heredo a good job, but sometimes they are so full, they can't age it or have to charge a lot to do it.

More satisfaction doing it myself, too, like tying flies and reloading.

CaseyU

WKR
I have to say this is where i luck out. My family has owned a custom meatshop grocery store for 44 years. We will wait until closing time and have all the tools to make it easy. Saw, grinder, wraps and family to help.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I have to say this is where i luck out. My family has owned a custom meatshop grocery store for 44 years. We will wait until closing time and have all the tools to make it easy. Saw, grinder, wraps and family to help.

you lucky dog you!