Do you REALLY need a stabilizer on your hunting bow?

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just finished a write up on why and how you should be using a stabilizer on your hunting bow. Check it out here:

Rob

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190329143033414_COVER-768x570.jpg

OP
S&S Archery (Rob)

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So what's your opinion of the effect on the bow's balance?

I guess I don't understand your question. But I personally feel like my bow has a much better balance with a stabilizer as opposed to without. It also depends how you deploy the stabilizer, but that's what the write up is all about.

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I don't understand your question. But I personally feel like my bow has a much better balance with a stabilizer as opposed to without. It also depends how you deploy the stabilizer, but that's what the write up is all about.
I was just surprised that balance of the bow (left/right and forward/back) was not mentioned in this write-up. For me (having the extreme situation of a Hogg Father and quiver to offset) this is much more important than any shock felt in my bow hand. Balance at the shot also feeds directly into the length/weight considerations you mention.

OP
S&S Archery (Rob)

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was just surprised that balance of the bow (left/right and forward/back) was not mentioned in this write-up. For me (having the extreme situation of a Hogg Father and quiver to offset) this is much more important than any shock felt in my bow hand. Balance at the shot also feeds directly into the length/weight considerations you mention.

Ok, I gotcha. I think i did cover that, just not directly described by balance. I have a hard time personally feeling what balance SHOULD be, especially at the shot. I know what FEELS right to me, but whether or not that is actually correct is tough to say. My way of setting up my stabilizer by closing my eyes, taking a breath and seeing where my aiming point lands is how i compensate for how the bow is balanced and or off balance. But I see what you're saying, i probably should have described what i was doing, by associating it with the balance of the bow.

KHNC

WKR
Ulmer doesn't hunt with a stabilizer....and that guy is about as picky as it gets.
World class archers dont always have to worry about this as much as your average bowhunter would. If you are used to hitting a dime at 40 yards at will, a 10-18" vital area at 60 is pretty easy without a stabilizer.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I could learn to like shooting without one, but I don't even like going from my 17oz B-stinger to my 8oz at the time. It feels like there's no stabilizer after switching those two. But I get used to the light 8oz weight eventually. I'm sure going from the 8oz to nothing, I'd get used to that as well.......but I choose not to. I don't see any benefit to ditching the stabilizer. If I can't carry an extra 8oz around all season then I have bigger issues.

nphunter

WKR
Ulmer doesn't hunt with a stabilizer....and that guy is about as picky as it gets.

I’m considering leaving mine off this fall. Not sure it’s worth the weight for elk hunting. It may help a tiny bit but I can still shoot great without it. Last night I was out testing new arrow fletchings and never shot a 40 yard group over 3” shooting two different games for 6 or 8, 4 arrow sets. My last several elk I’ve shot have all been under 30 yards.

Now open country mule deer where I may consider a 60+ yard shot I may slip on the stabilizer? I’m going to shoot without it this 3D season and see how I do.

Rob5589

WKR

Levi Morgan runs front and back bars, so...

All depends on what works for you. I find with the correct weight out front there is far less pin float, especially when shooting 60+ yards. They can also help with vibration, although most bows today are pretty good at taming that aspect.

87TT

WKR
I shot yesterday and did OK but noticed I was throwing a couple more shots than normal at the longer ranges (for me 50-60). When I went to put my bow up, I realized that I hadn't put the stabilizer on (quick disconnect).I noticed the difference.

Last edited:

Jbehredt

WKR
My SS1 with some jumbo bowjax on the end acts as and arm brace when carrying my bow by the grip. Probably doesn’t do much of anything for accuracy but makes it a lot nicer to carry around.

I don't use a stabilizer and get good hunting accuracy out of my Prime Rival with a Tight Spot quiver and Black Gold Ascent Verdict. More than the weight, I don't like the stabilizer sticking out when your carrying the bow, either jabbing you in the arm or hooking brush when the bow is in the Gunbearer. Good luck!

excaliber

WKR
I tried to shoot at longer distances without my stab and the accuracy was not as good. At distances from 50-80 yards I was able to hold better with the 8 oz of weight on the bow and my bow shoots better with it on.

If it were close to being as accurate I might go without it but my Hoyt Spyder 34 seems to like the Doinker out front allot.

I shot indoor league without one for a few nights. Biggest thing I noticed was if I messed up the realease it through the shot a lot further out. If I had good form and a good release it didn't matter. But as I got tired my shots that were a little fouled went further off then usual. So basically my take is if you can hold a bow steady without it, and have good form you don't need it. But they help a lot to counter act little things that can happen in the shot process.

Read1t48

WKR
I started with a stabilizer because that's what everybody did. It was like assumed to be a part of the set-up. Between my Spot Hogg and other accessories, my bow weighed more than my rifle. I took off the stabilizer and started shooting in all different kinds of conditions - especially in high winds. I could not notice a difference at all. I think a balanced bow - between sight, quiver, etc., may not require a stabilizer as much as people think. I certainly have no regrets leaving it at home (I need to still sell it, actually!). No stabilizer results in a lighter carry, easier to pack in brush, and I lost no accuracy. I did like it for throwing it up on my pack and around my neck, but a Kifaru Gunbearer works perfect.

Good article, Rob,.. you have, a NICE, well thought out, "set up" !
I have, an older, 8" Doinker Carbon Rod, plus their Atomic Ball and 5 ounces of, weight on, a SPIDER "OFF set" riser bar, same as yours, to balance for, my sight, 4 Arrows and the Quiver. Then I have, a 4 ounce weight suspended a couple of inches with a small Rod, off the back side of, my Bow to "balance" in my Hand,.. PERFECTLY ! I hardly need, to look at the Level ! It, steadies my aim ( good, Pin "float" ) , levels the Bow from front to back and sideways ! There is NO, recoil/ vibration, so practically, never have, "Target Panic" whatsoever and the total weight added to Bow, is less than, 1 Pound. It sticks out about 5 inches, in front of the Riser/ limb face ( no big deal) as the Arrow is, way longer ! I tried shooting, without it, and I'm NOT, nearly as good ! So, I'll carry, the extra pound ! The extra weight also helps to, steady the Bow better, in Windy conditions ! So,.. I'll lift, a few more weights, to "toughen up", to carry / shoot it ! Just my, 2 Cents !

Last edited:

Badger 5

Lil-Rokslider
I went from a crappy limb saver 4 inch stab to a TAP 10inch stabilizer and I definitely felt less vibration after the shot. I get more stable holding my pin steady at the longer distance shots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ahlgringo

WKR
My SS1 with some jumbo bowjax on the end acts as and arm brace when carrying my bow by the grip. Probably doesn’t do much of anything for accuracy but makes it a lot nicer to carry around.

Definitely agree with this, love it more for that aspect than what it was probably intended for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I stopped using a stabilizer in 2013 for all of my hunts because I wanted to cut weight. I practised all year without it and kept a level of accuracy that was sufficient and worked very well for me, including some longer shots in the field that hit exactly where I was aiming. I believe my practice without a stab made my hunts without a stab work.

Fast forward a year or two when Dan Evans introduced the Quivalizer, I tried it and loved it. With close to the same weight as my previous quiver, I had the best of both worlds.
It all comes down to personal expectations and abilities. We are all built a little different and I bet some shooters need a stabilizer more than others.
Best part is experimenting and seeing what your shooting style needs. There is no wrong answer.