Do you still bring a paper map and compass?

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
Can't say I've ever really needed a compass, especially in the mountains.

My father taught me to use an atlas at a young age. I learned real quick how to be an astute copilot, there was no choice.

Between studying that and being in the outdoors I learned more to identify terrain and study map features, than use a compass.

Once I orient to a map and have the sun and or moon (constellations) I have my guide. Maybe it's my giant nose that helps direct me, maybe it's how I was raised, but I've never used a compass and had it actually help me.

Sun comes up in the east, sets in the west. Know mountain peaks and ridgelines on maps within the surrounding 10-20 miles and how hard is it to find east or west?

In texas don't bother with maps or GPS only carry a compass. Very rarely more than a mile from a fence or road. Out west paper map and compass always. Had repeated issues with phone gps or software going south.

Always have map and compass. No substitute for base bushcraft skills and navigation. Plotting information about an area on a paper map, over the course of several years, really highlights patterns and opens up new strategies for pursuit of game.

I have a "master map" at home I transfer field notes from my hunting map onto at the end of every year. The knowledge contained in that map has been hard earned and is guarded closely!

Lark Bunting

Lil-Rokslider
No paper for me. On my phone I have OnX, offline google maps and US Topo Maps. I also carry a GPS. I sync the waypoints between the GPS and OnX. I have a tiny ball compass on my bino case for quick reference.

Headed to the boundary waters with my two young kids in two weeks. The paper and compass always come. The digital is only a convenience and will not come this trip as I need to limit weight (wife and I packing stuff for the kids too..).

Always have map and compass. No substitute for base bushcraft skills and navigation. Plotting information about an area on a paper map, over the course of several years, really highlights patterns and opens up new strategies for pursuit of game.

I have a "master map" at home I transfer field notes from my hunting map onto at the end of every year. The knowledge contained in that map has been hard earned and is guarded closely!

Love the idea of a master map at home! Gonna start doing this...

CorbLand

WKR
I am doing good to remember to bring my GPS or download the maps before hand, let alone bring a map and compass.

Lark Bunting

Lil-Rokslider
I am doing good to remember to bring my GPS or download the maps before hand, let alone bring a map and compass.
I set a reminder on my phone a few days out to update/download any maps that may need it. One year we had to pull over in the nearest town as I had forgotten to update offline maps the night before.

Mosby

WKR
I carry a compass and map in my pack. I am by myself a lot. Easy to get turned around or just second guess yourself.

Bowhuntone

Lil-Rokslider
I always carry a compass even in the back 40 whitetail hunting. A map depends on the area and what I am doing.

bsnedeker

WKR
I don't carry a paper map with me. I also don't carry backup buckskin clothes or a flintlock rifle as a backup to my modern gear...lol, just kidding! I've got the info I need on my phone, backup GPS and topo map on my watch (Fenix 5X), and a compass with me (which I do use a LOT). I'm not heading 10 miles into the backcountry pretty much ever so getting back to my truck if both my phone and watch fail is not something I'm worried about at all.

FlyGuy

WKR
In the blinding mid-day sun, it’s also way easier to look at a paper map than at a dark phone. It can be so hard to make out topo lines or really anything on my phone screen when the sun is shining straight down. I have to turn the brightness up to full max, which sucks the battery life down quickly. And I always forget to turn it back down until I see I only have 20% battery left at only 3 pm...

You can’t cheat the mountain

id260

FNG
No. Used to carry paper maps. I used to carry gps. Only a phone with an online map application that is geo-referenced to show my physical location on the map now. Avenza pdf maps and OnX.

AZmark

WKR
I do if I’m in an area I’m not familiar with but my elk hunting consists of about 6-8 draws that I’ve hunted since I was 14, 66 now. I do hunt a wider area for deer and usually have maps. Most of my elk hunting is within 5 miles of my house, further for deer.
However I did buy a inreach and love it.