Do you still bring a paper map and compass?

BBob

WKR
I use both onX and GAIA for the most part and always bring map and compass but not necessarily for backup. Map for the previously mentioned big picture, sometimes I just need to see it all to make a decision. Occasionally if I glass an animal way out there in an area I'm not 100% up to speed on I can put a compass bearing on it, lay that on the map and know exactly where that animal is. It gives me the big picture as to what options I have in getting there and how long it might take me. It doesn't happen often but at times it's a great help and I can't do that with electronics.

I always take a compass and map for the backcountry. I have had reliability issues with GPS, phones, batteries, etc. and have been in places where the GPS signal was unreliable such as deep canyons and triple canopy jungle in South America. But I also like maps, I keep all my old maps for memories and love to pull them out occasionally and retrace my path, notes, and trip. Looking at Google Earth or online maps of the same area just doesn't bring the same nostalgia for me.

elkyinzer

WKR
All 3. From a survival standpoint: Map, yes. I like having something to reference if all my battery powered shit hits the proverbial fan. Compass I can do without, plenty of other cues to give me enough direction to get out.

From an ergonomics standpoint I still like big picture paper maps I custom print for areas I plan with the option to call an audible and map anything on my phone but it'a often more PITA.

Handheld GPS I use extensively because I feel its more reliable than a phone and less prone to moisture touchscreen issues. Most of my navigation is GPS.

Voyageur

WKR
Paper map and compass are my primary means of navigation... used 99%of the time. Occasionally I play around with a gps in order to stay familiar with how to use one... just in case.

Randall

FNG
Wow, guess I'm really OG. I have never carried a GPS on
a hunt, either out West or here in the South.

That makes two of us. Not that I'm opposed, I just like my maps and am comfortable with them. GPS can be nice to mark waypoints on the fly and such, but I try to buy gear that will specifically increase my capabilities or chances and a GPS never seems to make the cut.

I realize a lot of guys can utilize their smart phone for this, and if I had one, I probably would as well since I'd be carrying it anyway. But then I wouldnt get anymore compliments on my state of the art flip phone...

Yes. Not only do they not need batteries I like to look at the larger picture then just my phone screen or gps. It helps me orient myself better. But that’s just the way my brain works

I just use my phone to keep my bearings. Typically I run ridges, and I don't really need the gps to keep me on track.

I do however use it to identify topo features like benches and compare it to what I'm seeing in front of me. I've found some cool benches on mountains with deer beds that barely show as a bulge on maps, whether they be phone or paper.

But I also do a lot of hiking off-trail and make games out of finding my way back to certain ridges or landmarks without consulting my phone or map.

Map only if not really familiar with the area

Compass: always!

The time when a compass can really come in handy is in the dark. The ups and downs in the mountains can get you turned around after dark. And I don't bet my life on electronics always working.

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
I primarily use a map/compass to navigate and keep the GPS for backup or just to mark a way point.

For me, using and relying on a GPS kind of makes me complacent and I don't pay as much attention to where I'm going. Then I have a hard time figuring out where I'm at and how to get back. Same issue using a GPS in the truck..can't remember how I got some where so I just look at the map and figure out my own route. I also don't trust that the GPS will always work or batteries will be there when I need them.

TheGreek

Lil-Rokslider
I keep a compass and paper map in pack as a backup. Little weight and i’d rather be safe then sorry in case electronics break or get lost.

Jethro

WKR
I carry a compass for those times I try to convince myself the gps must be wrong. Pull the compass out and prove its me that’s wrong. The compass never lies.

mlgc20

WKR
I guess I'm the oddball. I haven't carried a paper map or compass for years for hunting or backpacking.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
Years ago I did. Now just my phone in a waterproof case, a battery pack, and an inreach mini for me.