Do you still bring a paper map and compass?

KyleS224

FNG
I use OnX as my main GPS and I recently got a Garmin inreach explorer as well for this season. My Inreach will be mostly for SOS and gps backup. Would you still bring a map and compass as a back up for your back up?

Tbone58

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t but it’s not a bad idea. Just have to make sure you are familiar with using it. I personally don’t know how. Should probably learn how. Also heard in a pinch it’s something else to burn to keep warm or dry

DavePwns

WKR
I have onX and use a Garmin Inreach so I personally don't use a compass and map, I do however bring a small compass for general direction if needed. My phone is waterproof and has a solid case on it so it's pretty bomb proof.

I don't usually bring a map, but I always bring a compass. I know the area well enough before I go that if everything goes wrong I can get a bearing towards the closest main road. This won't work everywhere but the places I tend to go it works fine.

No map, but I always have two compasses on me. One is a good old 40y/o Brunton in my pocket. The other is one of those ball types that pins to my coat pocket flap. I just need to get back to the road. I'll be able to find my truck once I get there.

No map, but I always have two compasses on me. One is a good old 40y/o Brunton in my pocket. The other is one of those ball types that pins to my coat pocket flap. I just need to get back to the road. I'll be able to find my truck once I get there.

FlyGuy

WKR
Yes. Many times I do my digital scouting in CalTopo and then have my local copy/mailing shop print it out for me. Usually in smaller sections and only take the section I’ll be in, others back at the truck with plan B, C, etc.

I primarily use my phone, but they can break, crash, get lost, etc...

Plus, when I feel like I’m out of ideas, I MUCH prefer to look over a larger picture that a paper map provides, vs trying to work it all out in the narrow “FOV” that the phone is limited to....

You can’t cheat the mountain

I'm sure I don't get as far in as some guys but I always have a map and compass, I rely more on electronics but will always be able to have the paper folded out for a bigger view if needed

Absolutely.

I work with maps professionally, and have every digital tool one could want. Nothing beats paper for getting the broad lay of the land and a compass is still the best for nav in the thick stuff. I don't consider either to be "backup", but useful tools in their own right.

When I'm navigating for work, I'll now often carry a phone with GAIA in one hand and a compass in the other. I'll use the GPS to get a bearing and then follow the compass. Every so often I'll re-check the GPS and adjust bearing as needed. Experience tells me a I track a straighter line this way.

Even in open country it often easiest to pull a bearing from the GPS and then use the compass to locate a landmark along that bearing. Then you can put both back in your pockets and just hike.

P Carter

WKR
My kids give me flack, but I usually have an inreach mini, phone with google maps downloaded for offline use, gps watch, and always a paper map and compass.

I like the paper maps also forpreparation. I spend enough time on google earth that sometimes it’s more relaxing to print out a paper map and pore over that to get a break from the screen.

AZ8

WKR
Yes, I always carry a map. Like others have mentioned, it’s nice to take a little break under a shady tree and assess and evaluate the day’s progress so far. Easy to see the big picture on a map.