Do you use a footprint?

OP
J

JNDEER

WKR
They make some nice lightweight ones, but those are pricey. I just use a basic poly coated tarp from Cabelas that weighs about 10oz for a 9x7. You can get em lighter for sure... but mine also cost like $35...

I'm not packing it on any sheep hunts, but it sure comes in handy for a basic 3-7 day trip.
Hmm, that is interesting. I pictured an old blue tarp you find at Walmart that weighs a couple pounds. A 9x7 at 10oz is a touch heavier than just a normal footprint, but if I could find a material lighter than a footprint and double the use of the product as you have done that could be a win win 👍

Last edited:
OP
J

JNDEER

WKR
I use a thick tarp under my 8 person Cabelas guide tent I use for car camping. I use the zpacks dyneema foot print under my duplex for backpacking. It doesn’t weigh much and on a rainy day i can tie it up to eat under.
Thanks for posting. Did a quick check of the dyneema and it is super lightweight. Going to look into some literature on comparing their abrasion/puncture resistance to regular footprints made from nylon.

WRM

WKR
Put either one of these under your pad.

Seek Outside
Fearlessly Floorless Ground Sheet
Matty McMat Face - Ground Pad

Plus one for the pad. They had not named it when I bought mine (it was just the boring "mountain mat"), but gives a nice protective layer for your pad plus a bit for other personal use.

OP
J

JNDEER

WKR
Put either one of these under your pad.

Seek Outside
Fearlessly Floorless Ground Sheet
Matty McMat Face - Ground Pad
Thanks for posting.
Which do you have experience with?

most their options are similar in weight to a complete footprint made for a tent. Wouldn’t save anything on weight- but seems like another option for just putting something directly under the pad

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure how concerned I am with protecting the tent floor as opposed to protecting the pad.

interesting. I wonder what thickness your bivy is? Which bivy? Could help to see what denier thickness is needed to protect the pad.

I use a Ti Goat Raven bivi and an Enlightened Equipment Recon bivi. Both are extremely light (7 oz or less) and I've never had a hole in either one or a pad.

22lr

WKR
Hmm, that is interesting. I pictured an old blue tarp you find at Walmart that weighs a couple pounds. A 9x7 at 10oz is a touch heavier than just a normal footprint, but if I could find a material lighter than a footprint and double the use of the product as you have done that could be a win win 👍

This is what I currently have, if it helps get an idea. https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/outdoor-products-backpackers-tarp

They definitely make better ones but as a general all purpose tarp for when your not too worried about extreme weight savings, its been well worth the money for me. Eventually ill probably try to make one out of tyvek, but until then, this works.

OP
J

JNDEER

WKR
This is what I currently have, if it helps get an idea. https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/outdoor-products-backpackers-tarp

They definitely make better ones but as a general all purpose tarp for when your not too worried about extreme weight savings, its been well worth the money for me. Eventually ill probably try to make one out of tyvek, but until then, this works.
Thanks.

looks like the total weight is on par with most manf. footprints. I think the dyneema material from zplex would weigh about half that, but cost a lot more.

Brusso89

FNG
I'm a newb when it comes to backpacking. I had your exact same dilemma when deciding what gear to buy. I ended getting a tent with a little bit thicker floor (nemo dagger, 30D) and decided to get a beefier pad (sea to summit comfort plus insulated). Figured
If I was gonna carry extra weight, may as well be a more comfortable pad that is more durable vs a lightweight not so comfortable pad that is less durable. So I'm gonna roll with no ground sheet or tarp and just pitch the tent, lay my pad and hope for the best.

I use a plastic sheet that is thicker than the window film but thinner the the lightest generic tarp. I like keeping the bottom of the tent floor clean and dry. If the plastic footprint is wet, I fold it upon itself self and carry it on the outside of my pack.

Tradit

FNG
extremely light weight footprint (or for keeping your meat clean). I doubt you'll find anything lighter. Tyvek is tougher but not lighter or more compact or more water proof than this. More than two 2-man tents worth.

OP
J

JNDEER

WKR
extremely light weight footprint (or for keeping your meat clean). I doubt you'll find anything lighter. Tyvek is tougher but not lighter or more compact or more water proof than this. More than two 2-man tents worth.
Thanks- I will check that out.