do you use a practice rifle

Blaw

WKR
so I am wanting to go on a shopping spree but it isn't realistic....trying to put money where it will be more effective..

So as many of you guys hunt with 300WM and such, do you use a smaller caliber and the same setup to practice throughout the year to mitigate the cost of components for reloading a magnum calibre?

or do you just practice with old faithful?

jdmaxwell

WKR
I just practice with my 300 RUM even though I have many other smaller rifles if that is what I'm taking

Ranger619

WKR
I just bought a Tikka T1X for this reason (and because I didn't have one). I shoot a Tikka T3X in 300WM and plan to use this to get more range time.

OP
Blaw

Blaw

WKR
im curious if it would be better to do a 22 vs something like a 243 as the 243 actually has some sort of recoil you would have to manage?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The best favor one could do themselves for their hitting ability with any bolt gun is a 1-8” twist Tikka 223 with a reliable scope, multiple cases 75/77gr match ammo, and actually learning how to shoot not on a bench.

cmahoney

WKR
My wife is an phenomenal shot with a full sized rifle and attribute it to learning the fundamentals on a .223 where recoil and a loud muzzle blast weren’t factors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Blaw

Blaw

WKR
The best favor one could do themselves for their hitting ability with any bolt gun is a 1-8” twist Tikka 223 with a reliable scope, multiple cases 75/77gr match ammo, and actually learning how to shoot not on a bench.

would substituting 243 for 223 suffice, cant hunt big game with 223 here :) than i have 2 hunting rifles! :LOL:

I use both a .223 and a .22 for cheap practice. Perfect way to start out a new shooter too. Had my girlfriend work on fundamentals with both then transferred over to her 270wsm and she’s shooting it great now.

Wrongside

WKR
Absolutely bang on.

Blaw, you need a coyote/practice rifle anyways. ;)

JayTx

FNG
I'm trying to find a .223 right now for a long range practice rifle. I've been using my .243 but it's adding up quick.

I do use a practice rifle or two. One part is to reduce the cumulative effects of recoil during a shooting session and the other is cost.

One lesson that I learned is for the practice rifle to be truly effective, it should be the exact same/model but in a smaller caliber. My Coues rifle is a Savage FCSS 116 (6.5x284) with a two-stage safety. Leading up to a particular hunt I practiced a lot with a Savage Axis II in 6.5 CM with a single-stage safety. During the hunt, I had a very large Coues make a mistake. I placed the crosshairs on his shoulder, went hot, and squeezed the trigger. Click. The buck took off. I developed muscle memory of one "click" of the safety on the Axis model instead of the required two "clicks" of my FCSS. Small item but that mistake still haunts me to this day.

tdhanses

WKR
dang. Ok so that being said why not a 22? just lack of range?
btw thanks for the info I have read a lot of your other posts and am pretty much going for the scopes you mention time and time again

I went the .223 route and the 22lr, I kept the 22lr and rebarreled the .223 to a 6.5cm.

Now recoil isn’t an issue for me and neither is the muzzle blast. The 22 really makes you hone in on your breathing and trigger control. Also you’ll be dialing a crap ton from 50 to 300 yards so you’ll know if a scope is good. A 3mph wind will effect the 22lr and it’s kind of fun seeing the bullet drop in at 300 yards.

To me the .223 let’s you get away with more then the 22 if you really want to focus on developing your skills.

tdot

WKR
I ended up with a 22lr as my first practice rifle. I wish I'd bought a .223 instead. But the 22lr still works and it's fun to hunt small game with.

I've had a few smaller caliber rifles which I justified as hunting/practice rifles. But they are slowly being phased out. I replaced them with a switch barrel on my main hunting rifle. So I can hunt with a 338 and shoot a ton of rounds with a 6.5. Yet I'm still extremely familiar with the rifle/scope combo. I found this was more important then having 6 guns and shooting only a few rounds from each one.

OP
Blaw

Blaw

WKR
I hear ya, I have a 308 tikka and a 300wm remington

the 308 is great but I would like to stick to the 300wm for hunting as I would like to start taking longer shots.
But I need a hell of a lot more practice!
debating on selling the tikka to get everything sorted same with my scopes.

I shoot alot of 22 rimfire,,, best bang for the buck,,, archery as well...

Then pace my shots from my full bores...

Nothing wrong with getting the big rocket launcher and components set,,, try a few close and long range shots,,, get the range chart and electronic data files sorted,,, and go from there...

I slowly ramp up my full bore shooting 1 month before hunting season,,, take the time to confirm shot placement through the season,,, then pipe it down when it raps up...

Good luck finding what works for you,,, thats what really counts...

Don

If we want to up our game plan,,, purhaps its wize to take a reloader course II,,, then find a shooting coach... The KISS thing getting started... the tech stuff will follow later

No one said that you cant climbing behind your rifle and practic lots of dry firing,,, close your eyes and work on the feel of the trigger,,, you'll soon know when it breaks...

Break things down into smaller steps,,, invest in a bubble level,,, solid rear bunny ear bag,,, solid front bypod to turn your rifle into a land canon...

Climbing behind our rifles in a consistent fashion is a must,,, that way its the same everytime... good shooting forum pays off...

A person can't over do the dry fire practic following each step of good shooting forum keeping the cross hairs on the bull with the follow threw...

3 to 4 dry-fire clicks behind the rifle with our practiced / learned shooting forum keeping the cross hairs on the bull ring,,, if you feel good,,, send it...

Its sure nice if the cross hairs land back on the bull ring once the shot was sent,,, Ha... your shooting coach will get you up to speed...

Get your rifle to out shoot your skills...
Get your shooting forum consistent and the same everytime.
Click,,, Click,,, Click,,, send it. More clicks are allowed if needed...

The old guy said to forget about shooting groups,,, chase the verticals keeping them compressed flat and tight...

Sorry if this post is out of place,,, the mods can punt if it doesn't fit in... Ha

Cheers from the North

WorleyElk

FNG
Picked up a Left hand T3 in .223 REM 1-8 twist. For 2 reasons. First to train my lefty daughter, she can also shoot deer with it in Idaho, and second so I can practice at Range and not beat the snot out of me with my 300WM Superlight. I'm going to get it threaded so i can also drop my Suppressor on it as well.