Do you use a stabilizer on you backcountry bow?

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I recently read where someone advocated not using a stabilizer in order to reduce bow weight. What do you guys think of this thought?

sk1

WKR
If I wasn't going to take my stabilizer I wouldn't practice with it....I shoot better with one so I practice with it and it comes with me. Mine is 10 inches long and 10oz

I don't. Randy Ulmer doesn't (I just note him cause he's more famous than I am :) With my AM32, I could shoot just as good out to 80 without one as I could with one...so when lugging around all that weight up and down the mountains in my left hand...it usually comes off. Sometimes I would just put on an X-coil to silence things a bit...and I kept on my Tightspot, which served as somewhat of a stabilizer in the way I set it up.

mtbshark

WKR
I run a 10" with 8oz all the time.

I think that anything to help slow the pins down when aimed towards a critter be it foam or real is a good thing.

swat8888

WKR
Sure is nice when nerves, wind, and tired muscles get a little help from that stabilizer when your on the top of a mountain about to let an arrow fly at a critter. I would never go without.....I run a 10" b-stinger with 8oz. Tried it with 4oz and I just wasn't as comfortable with it.

Yep, my B-Stinger is heavy, but I shoot much better with it on. There are plenty of ways to save weight on a backcountry hunt. Going without my stabilizer will never be one of them.

Beastmode

WKR
Never felt a need for a stabilizer personally. I dont use one practicing or hunting. If you shoot better with one and regularly use one then I would bring it.

For the 2012 season I did elect to run w/o a stabilizer rig simply because ... once I did some testing I was shooting the same size groups both ways and I did want to shave some weight. This year however, I am working on some things with my shot so early next week I should have my new stab in. I will be running a 15" B Stinger in front and a Sport hunter Xtreme B Stinger as a side rod to aid in balance (the Matrix doesn't have the 3/4" stabilizer offset).

Danielboone

Lil-Rokslider
I don't shoot any better with a stab and prefer not to have the extra weight. Having shot a longbow most of my life, I prefer the lightest setup.

12" b stinger. It's makes a difference. Accuracy is important when it comes to animals. For the guys that said it made no difference curious as to if you tried a real stab like a b stinger? Most of the supposed "stabs" on the market don't actually stabilize. A real stab like a b stinger will improve your shooting. I would bet

Last edited:
I never use a stabilizer and have had excellent hunting success with the bow over the past 40 seasons My testing years ago showed I was not more accurate with one. In fact I removed the stabilizer bushing and grip off the Hoyt Carbon Element to save another few ounces. As one of the other posters says, the Titespot quiver settles the bow a bit and does add 10 ounces without the arrows. Works for me but I'm not trying to shoot extreme ranges with my bow either. Try shooting for a few weeks without the stabilizer and see if you are accurate enough. I am, but you have to make your own assessment.